PDA

View Full Version : Block heaters?

Patrolman
December 14th, 2008, 09:47 PM
So I just went out and started my 87 Toyota truck. Ugh, ugh, sputter---sputter. At least it started. 4Runner- click, click, click... Even with the jumper cables. Not sure why. The biggie was the Scout. Ugh, ugh, sputter. Then the battery didn't have the juice to turn the 345. Just too darn cold!

Who has used block heaters? Any particular style preferred over another? I have never needed one, but I think the 4Runner might start with one. Truck could certainly use some help too. I think the Scout is an above 0 vehicle. No prayer.

Funrover
December 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have run them on my 79 Malibu and my 62 Dodge.. and of course my 71 diesel. All 3 were the style that you mounted in place of the freeze plug... Works great! Really easy to install also. It's amazing the difference it makes!

Chris
December 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
My truck's been sitting outside all week, I have to move it this morning and strongly suspect I'm going to have the same problem. -6 right now so I'm not real optimistic. I've never used a heater in anything I owned even when living in Minnesota though my neighbor used to put a charcoal grill under his in the morning for 30 minutes before trying to start his truck. :eek:

Edit: 10 minutes later - Gotta love FI, started right up!

Patrolman
December 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I don't think the fuel delivery was necessarily the problem. The carb'd truck started up after a few turns. The 4Runner isn't even turning over. Everything has power, but seems to be just too cold to kick over. Maybe the battery doesn't have the juice. 1st year with no Optima in it :(

Chris
December 15th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'll guess it's the battery, I've never used an Optima myself. I assume you have similar oil in all of them so the battery is the uncommon denominator.

Funrover
December 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I'll guess it's the battery, I've never used an Optima myself. I assume you have similar oil in all of them so the battery is the uncommon denominator.

Optima batteries don't have "oil" and they do work a lot better in cold. Jeff when was the last time you tried to start the runner? has it been awhile?