PDA

View Full Version : Winter hiking/snowshoeing boots?

Funrover
December 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have found a company called KEEN, and I really like how their shoes fit, the pair I have is great. This being said I am wanting to upgrade my winter boots(so I don't have holes in them hehe) and noticed that Keen makes a nice set. I was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience.

Thanks

Man Jerk
December 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Another Keen fan.

Funrover
December 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Keen makes good stuff and they have a wide toe bed, which is often so hard to find that it makes you get a boot that is too big in order to make in comfortable. I pretty much always look to Keen these days to see what they have out because their footwear is so comfortable.

I wouldn't hesitate if the boot feels good and is rated for the conditions you intend to encounter. Try them on with SmartWools or a comparable wool light or medium hiking sock.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, Now I just need to find a place that stocks their winter boots. REI here has the hiking and such in Keen but not winter

Patrolman
December 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Keen, Keen, Keen! I had never heard of them until I got a pair of shoes on clearance from them. BEST shoes I have ever had! Only 7 months into them and I am almost worn through the bottoms from wearing them every single day!

In regards to snow boots, I would look at Baffin. I have 3 pair and also have 2 brand new pair to sell. They are specifically made for rough winter conditions. Snowshoeing, snowmobile, ski lift operator, etc. The pair that I have are insulated plus have a removable liner. Good to 100 below 0. Super warm for the coldest of days!

Funrover
December 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I tried Baffin before, I didn't like how they felt! Plus I don't need that much of a boot for what the plans are.

mtnfj
December 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I've got 4 pair of Keens including a pair of Keen fishing sandals. I love them! As far as winter boots are concerned, my Asolos are wonderful for general winter stuff and hiking. When the weather gets really cold (snowblowing the driveway for 4 hours) I have a pair of Ulus that are as comfortable as slippers and as warm as can be.

Funrover
December 9th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Never tried those.. Might look into them