PDA

View Full Version : Moab Report

Telly
November 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Moab was an awesome time!!! After some arm twisting (very little) from my friends, I decided at the last minute on Wednesday to head out to Moab. I threw all my gear together Wednesday night and rolled out straight from work Thursday afternoon. Friday we did Flat Iron Mesa. This trail had some challenging obstacles and some unreal scenery. This trail would be a good one for a newbie Moab driver. There were only a few obstacles were I was glad I had lockers. The trail had everything...slick rock, ledges, loose rocky climbs, sand and steep decents.

Saturday was a nasty little trail called Pritchett Canyon. Some consider this the toughest 6 miles in Moab...and I am one of them. Awesome trail with some really sick challenging stuff. The cruiser made it through every obstacle without damage but only because I had excellent spotters. There was some serious adrenaline pumping after that run.

I got up early Sunday morning and headed home just in time for my daughters 4th birthday party. Here are some statistics on the trip: I spent $170.00 on fuel, $45.00 on food, $20.00 on beverages, and $0 on lodging. Moab can be a cheap trip if you camp and stay out of the restaurants and gift shops. But if you must eat out, Pasta Jays is awesome.

Doug

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/dhanney/Moab%20November%202008/?albumview=slideshow

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/dhanney/Moab%20November%202008%20Movies/?action=view&current=MoabNovember2008Movies009.flv

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/dhanney/Moab%20November%202008%20Movies/?action=view&current=MoabNovember2008Movies008.flv

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/dhanney/Moab%20November%202008%20Movies/?action=view&current=MoabNovember2008Movies005.flv

Chris
November 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for sharing and making us all jealous! I think I need to go back.

Soon!

But tell me where this was so I don't go there! :eek:

Pritchett?

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/dhanney/Moab%20November%202008/DSC02472.jpg

Telly
November 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
That obstacle was call "Easter Egg Hill" on Flat Iron Mesa. It was a very narrow and steep passage way between two rocks. That was the closest I got to body damage. I only had three inches to spare between the rock and my passenger quarter panel.

Chris
November 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yikes! I was on Flat Iron Mesa a couple years ago but didn't make it very far since my gas tank was falling out.

Now I should probably be glad I only made it as far as I did.

4Runninfun
November 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
wow that last vid with the green jeepy, he must have some serious strength under there to take that kind of bouncing! usually when the truck starts bouncing like that is when you hear a bad pop, and grinding.

Tye
November 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Great pics Doug... I know I had a blast when went in September and cant wait to go again. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Funrover
November 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Great stuff.. I really need to get out there!!!

Funrover
November 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM
wow that last vid with the green jeepy, he must have some serious strength under there to take that kind of bouncing! usually when the truck starts bouncing like that is when you hear a bad pop, and grinding.

You remember those Jeeps.. we met them on OCG on my bachelor party run! I like how once he started to hop he stopped... settled then continued! Good driving!

Pathrat
November 13th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting, you got some great shots!

Hugh wants to know if there is an alternate to the line on the obstacle Chris asked about.

ShutUpHippie
November 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
How is the temperature at night this time of year? I assume it's still pretty mild out there (good camping weather).

4Runninfun
November 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
You remember those Jeeps.. we met them on OCG on my bachelor party run! I like how once he started to hop he stopped... settled then continued! Good driving!

OHHH..... yeah i remember them....yeah i'd say they were a little built...:thunb:

Funrover
November 13th, 2008, 11:20 PM
OHHH..... yeah i remember them....yeah i'd say they were a little built...:thunb:

Yeah a little...:rolleyes:

Telly
November 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for posting, you got some great shots!

Hugh wants to know if there is an alternate to the line on the obstacle Chris asked about.

No alternate route but my first attempt at this obstacle was a hard line because we did not think my long rig could squeeze through the two rocks. Your FJC should have no issue on this obstacle, however sliders would be highly recommended because there is a large rock in the middle of the trail (between the two big rocks) that you must slide across.

Telly
November 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
How is the temperature at night this time of year? I assume it's still pretty mild out there (good camping weather).

Night time temps were low 30's. Not too bad if you have a good bag. Nothing beats camping off Sand Flats Road with a big fire, cold beer and a clear sky. The stars were AWESOME.

Doug

Telly
November 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Those guys with the white and green jeeps have mega $$ in their rigs. Did you hear the sound of the green one...that is a vette LT1. Both have Teraflex built Dana 60's with F/R ARB's, Altas transfer cases and 37" Red Label Crawlers. They are excellent off road drivers and I learn a lot watching them.

Funrover
November 14th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Those guys with the white and green jeeps have mega $$ in their rigs. Did you hear the sound of the green one...that is a vette LT1. Both have Teraflex built Dana 60's with F/R ARB's, Altas transfer cases and 37" Red Label Crawlers. They are excellent off road drivers and I learn a lot watching them.

Yeah I talked with them some, really a great group !! Real friendly. The Jeeps are uber built!