PDA

View Full Version : Now we have an accident posting

Pathrat
November 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
:( My son is fine but he rear-ended some other kid today. We have a leaking radiator, from the hose that goes from the reseviour (I think) to the radiator, a cracked fan housing, a torn intake, the radiator is off the mounts, smashed grill, headlight, headlight housing and other tupperware in between. Plus, it is leaking oil and I can trace it. This is a 1992 Mercedes Sedan with about a billion miles on it. My son's dad brought it back as a gift from his mom to her grandson. So, since it will get towed in three days if we leave it here (no, I will not store it in my garage for a few months until his dad gets back from Afghanistan) it is getting towed to Littleton to his dad's house tomorrow morning. The other kid was waiting for his dad to take a look at the scratches on the older Saturn he was driving. I really hope they don't want to put a claim in. Sucks.

SCRubicon
November 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear about another accident on the board. I hope the other party involved doesn't start seeing dollar signs because your son was driving a Mercedes.

Pathrat
November 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear about another accident on the board. I hope the other party involved doesn't start seeing dollar signs because your son was driving a Mercedes.

A Mercedes with enough oil underneath to hold its own with Tye's Lucy. I don't think the kid hit will but hopefully his dad won't think I am one of those parents with money that gets thrown around to solve problems.

Chris
November 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Pathrat, went through a streak with my son when he was 17 that was a real drag. No tickets issued?

4Runninfun
November 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
sorry to hear about this. glad your son is ok. is there something in the air that i should be aware of?

Funrover
November 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
That sucks! and a Mercedes DAMN IT!! Sorry to hear!

Pathrat
November 11th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Sorry to hear that Pathrat, went through a streak with my son when he was 17 that was a real drag. No tickets issued?

Two teenage boys, two older vehicles, so no tickets since no officials were contacted. It was left to the parents.

Aaron, wanna buy a Mercedes? :D

Pathrat
November 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
That sucks! and a Mercedes DAMN IT!! Sorry to hear!

As soon as my camera USB cord shows up, I am going to take pictures of the parts that need replacing in hopes someone can tell me the right and proper names.

There is an oil leak too. I am going to have my boy wipe down the underside so maybe we can better track the source.

Funrover
November 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I will help you the best I can! I would also recommend a web site for mercedes.

Brody
November 12th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Sorry to hear about that! I have been off the site for a day or so, come back and it is like people have been doing bumper cars. Believe it or not, I have almost been run into twice in the last week, once when I was sitting directly in front of someone. That is really bad....especially for anyone who has seen my rig up close. If you cannot see that thing, you REALLY shouldn't be behind the wheel of anything other than a lawnmower...and that is with supervision....

Glad that your son is ok. Let me know if there is something that I can do or help with. There are a couple of places around to get used Mercedes parts from, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

At least your kid is still at home when he had the wreck, as was Chris' and should be thankful for the support. I left home when I was 16, so any trouble I got into, I had to solve myself...including car crashes..

Pathrat
November 12th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks Aaron and Brody. One of Hunter's gearhead friends is going to go help him check it out this weekend and see if they can get the radiator back in the mounting brackets. The radiator hose and intake hose can be replaced, and once we get the right parts names, he is going to start finding the replacements. The pain in the neck, to me, is the broken plastic parts in front. More updates once I get some information. :)

Funrover
November 12th, 2008, 10:35 PM
www.mercedesshop.com

Trust me!

Pathrat
November 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks Aaron! Looks like the parts won't be too expensive, at least the parts I know we need.

Funrover
November 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Go to that forum, there is more than likely someone parting out the parts you need for cheaper.

ALso try
http://www.usedmercedesparts.com/

And seriously let me know if you want help!

Pathrat
November 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Go to that forum, there is more than likely someone parting out the parts you need for cheaper.

ALso try
http://www.usedmercedesparts.com/

And seriously let me know if you want help!

Great! thanks! :)

gragravar
November 16th, 2008, 06:23 PM
glad to hear your kid is OK. best of luck to him in fixing the Merc.

Pathrat
November 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Ok Funrover, will you help by verifying something for me? Everyone is welcome to chime in. Before I order parts, I want to make sure I order the right ones.

I am thinking I need the LOWER RADIATOR HOSE

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/M1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/m3.jpg

And this one is the AIR INTAKE HOSE, right?

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/M2.jpg

Pathrat
November 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
And there is almost no reference to the power steering in the owners manual, I will have to look some stuff up, but it looks like this is the power steering reservior. His steering is impaired. When you turn the wheel, it is like you are going over a bunch of speed bumps, it catches and I am pretty sure I tracked leaking fluid from the bottom of the can to the tubing underneath. I think we need more, and of course it is special Mercedes kind, I checked.

Thoughts?

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/m4.jpg

Pathrat
November 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
And, I heard from the woman at the counter at my local Advance Auto Parts that the yard Brody mentioned down by Hampden and Santa Fe has several Mercedes of model years similar to my kid's 1990. Good, I hope they have a grill and headlight housing.

Funrover
November 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Yes lower radiator hose, the air intake is gonna be a costly item for what it is. Find one at a scrap yard, make one, or don't worry about it for right now. That part is not crucial as you still have the intake and the air filter.

Power steering.. There is an arrow on the side,(some also have lines) it can be hard to see. You go to the top of it. It is all on that white plastic piece. You can sorda see it in that pic. Yes it requires special fluid... that part sucks as I have yet to find a cheap version of it. Buy from the forum I sent you to.. it is cheaper than the dealer.

Pathrat
November 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Excellent Aaron! I set the boy to the task of finding parts. I have been busy all night but he did find both the intake and the radiator hose for $10 each and the fluid specifically for his car's year range. PartsBin. Also, I looked at your Mercedes site and the prices are comparable, in case there are any issues of making sure I have the exact right hose I will order from the Mercedes specific site. I am pleased I ID'd the parts right. The issue will be the headlight assembly, it is all cracked. That will be the scrap yard hunt to undertake when we get back from vacation.

Thanks for all your help with this! :clap: I will get more pictures when we go down to his dad's house, where the car is parked.

SCRubicon
November 18th, 2008, 12:10 AM
The pick and pull yard Tye took me to up north had some Mercedes cars. Might be worth looking into for that headlight assembly. You'll have to get the name of the place from Tye...