PDA

View Full Version : Diving...and shark bait???

Brody
October 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Saw the post where Jamie is selling some stuff to get $$ for diving and it reminded me of my current situation.

We are going to go to Aruba in December for a vacation. I missed out on getting certified for scuba diving this year and plan to do it next year. Thing is, LaDawn, my one and only, tells me not to be such a wienie about sharks as they usually only go for noisy things on the surface, rarely bothering divers.

Soooooooooo....LaDawn tells me not to worry about getting certified as I can go snorkling (noisy, top of water, splashy....you know, basic shark bait) in the same area that she and the rest of the divers are diving.

Not a bad plan, really, if you are the diver....She got me these way cool polished silver fins, too, and a shiny new medallian to wear 'for good luck'...

I am starting to get a little worried...

Tye
October 26th, 2008, 06:10 AM
:lol: Thats beautiful....

Chris
October 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Aw, don't be a wienie Pete, brush up on your chumming technique and enjoy their company. :D

4Runninfun
October 26th, 2008, 03:33 PM
aww pete just if a shark gives you a hard time just call him an A** and his buddies will all be laughing to hard to eat you. :lol:

gragravar
October 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I went snorkeling once. while doing that I realized how much faster the fish were in the water than I was. it was kind of scary. I love to swim, but I think I'll stick with the pool.

Chris
October 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I love snorkeling, when I visit my son in Maui I go a couple times a day. Yes, the fish are fast but unless they have Pete on their mind they're fine. nothing cooler than swimming with sea turtles!

Pathrat
October 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Brody, thank your for reminding me about the sharks. I had forgotten to be even remotely concerned about sharks when family and I take our Caribbean vacation in November. The cruise line drops us on their little island and offers snorkeling, which I had planned on participating in. Now instead of watching the pretty fishies go by, I will be scanning for things that can eat my family.

Hey, I can do a test run for you and see how to chum my fellow ship-mates, thus directing the sharks' attention away from me and towards larger, slower snorklers. I am sure you will find someone in the group that you find irritating enough to give them the cute nickname of "Bait".

4RunninFun, that was just a beautiful response.

Jamie
October 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Here ya go Pete,
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/2dogs2kids/2510366323_e325518973_o.jpg

Chris
October 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
There's always help close by...

SCRubicon
October 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark. Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.

Nice knowing ya Pete. :D

Brody
October 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM
This is getting funnier...

LaDawn says that the shark that is about to eat the two unsuspecting divers for lunch is actually a rather placid 'whale'..., though a rare one..

I have seen the Orca/chopter shot before when I googled 'shark attacks'. If it ain't Photoshopped, that guy's day went from bad to worse....

What that quote from, Steve? Sounds pretty familiar, but couldn't place it...

Chris
October 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I have seen the Orca/chopter shot before when I googled 'shark attacks'. If it ain't Photoshopped, that guy's day went from bad to worse....

It's a PhotoChop, one of my favorites that I used when I taught web site validity in the elementary school.

Funrover
October 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Sounds like your typical couple to me.. LMAO!!

SCRubicon
October 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
What that quote from, Steve? Sounds pretty familiar, but couldn't place it...

It came from Quint (played by Robert Shaw) in Jaws.

Tye
October 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I just wouldnt want to be next to Pete, the shark would treat Pete like a appatizer and start looking at me like I look at a ham sandwich...

Pathrat
October 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I just wouldnt want to be next to Pete, the shark would treat Pete like a appatizer and start looking at me like I look at a ham sandwich...

Good one! :lol:

Brody
October 29th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Got a laugh outta that one, Tye!

Pathrat
November 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
These are the people to encourage to go out ahead of you, to 'check' for sharks. Mr and Mrs Chum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLNRFJXGo_w&feature=related

And staying shallow doesn't help either. Interesting how these tourists are forgetting that the shark IS a wild animal with LOTS of sharp teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNjYlddhWYM&feature=related

Brody
November 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks, Pathrat....

So I was sitting at the table, peacefully eating breakfast and messing on the computer and watch this and another 'shark' video...all in very shallow water..Quite literally, the hair on the back of my neck stood up...I see a shark in water that shallow, there is going to be a brown streak in the water, looking like an oil spill, to the shore, up the beach and up to the top of the nearest palm tree...
I saw another one not too long ago where the filming was done underwater in about waist deep water. Here are about 4 guys hanging around and this shark comes smoking into the picture (about a 6-8 footer) and nails this one guy just above the knee. And I mean NAILS him...shaking his head back and forth, blood everywhere..nice that the water was so clear...
I admit it. I am a total *****, wuss, weinie, whiner, baby...you name it... when it comes to sharks. Not to mention the fact that I am such a 'white boy' that I look like I should advertise 'Norwegian Airlines, where the sun don't shine', thus increasing my shark meal appeal....
I am glad that LaDawn isn't up as I would have had to deal with ridicule and laughter, too. This is a lady who has fed sharks while she is diving, remember..thinks that they are pretty cool. Cavemen probably thought the same thing about T-Rexes and Raptors, too....I told LaDawn that I would be happy to dive in water with sharks if I could carry a quiver of 20mm bang sticks...

Chris
November 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Had some neighbors a while back that were telling me how much fun they had in Hawaii and that they had the beach pretty much to themselves the whole visit. Apparently they were the only people in the world that hadn't heard of the shark attacks on those beaches. Darwins theory doesn't always hold up.

Pathrat
November 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Brody, everytime my kids go to the beach in Florida with the other side of the family, I always caution them about sharks, until I hear, "I know Mom!"
I have had the fear since I watched a segment on Discovery Channel's Shark Week. Picture tourists playing on the beach and just beyond the underwater sand levee near the shore, there are sharks swimming back and forth, like they are waiting for someone to stray from the herd. The footage was filmed from a helicopter and the sharks were quite clear.

Chris
November 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Picture tourists playing on the beach and just beyond the underwater sand levee near the shore, there are sharks swimming back and forth, like they are waiting for someone to stray from the herd.

That's the border patrol ;)

SCRubicon
November 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
That's the border patrol ;)

:lol: good one...

Pathrat
November 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
:lol: good one...

ditto, good one Chris! :lol:

And yes, sometimes modern society and luck tends to thwart that whole survival of the fittest ideal.