PDA

View Full Version : Slow Scout build

mattscout
September 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Bought this 72 scout 3yrs ago and have been building it up Slowly. Was my DD till gas turned to gold so the latest is Fuel Injection sourced from the JY. Using 88-91 GM TBI stuff. Started with putting on power steering. It had factory manual when I got it. Pertronix igniter conversion in Distributor. Bucket seats front and back. Built up a 345 to replace the tired 304. Converted another Distributor to Mopar electronic to run computer spark advance. Built front and rear bumpers and removeable rock sliders to facilitate body/floor repair.
To do list:
Install 30 gal. fuel tank
Front Dana 44 w/discs
SOA lift to fit 33"-35" tires
Reverse shackle in front
Cut and turn on front 44 for 6* caster
Replace rockers and rear inner bed corners/floor
Rebuild body mounts under toe boards
Paint and new front fenders
Replace rear fender lips
Finish FI installation and tune it
Win lottery so I can do it full time and not worry about WORK getting in the way of my FUN!

Pathrat
September 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
You know, we should do a group buy the next time Powerball hits over 200 mil...can you imagine the dream work we could do?:cool:

Funrover
September 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Nice rig man, I really love the old IH's... I miss my dads old Travelall. Looking foward to seeing this when done!

Patrolman
October 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I just saw the alternator pic with the EFI setup
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/album.php?albumid=22&pictureid=501
Nice work! Look forward to seeing it finished! I still have to toss the spreadbore on my 345. Still running the original 2bbl.

mattscout
October 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I hate those 2barrels! Hence the reason for FI. I have heard the motorcraft is better than the Holley and any 4bbl is better than either one. The rochester is supposed to work very well off road and they run pretty lean so the muscle car guys hate em so you can find them cheap.

Roostercruiser
October 10th, 2008, 08:37 AM
im working on my wifes 78 scout and need to replace the steering box because it pops and stops when you turn it left. do think it the steering box or something else. i would like your opinion because you defently know what doing. nice scout

Patrolman
October 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Make sure that you check the rag joint on these. They are infamous for failing. It is the rubber joint just above the steering box. There is a rag joint eliminator kit sold that cleans up the steering. Should help with some steering slop too.

Tye
October 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Nice....

Roostercruiser
October 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
i will check it. how do you know if it is bad?