PDA

View Full Version : 80's Facts

4Runninfun
September 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I was watching the history channel the other day and they had on 80's tech. So being the huge nerd that i am i had to watch it. And i thought i'd share with you a few things that i found particularly interesting...

Waz, the co-founder of Apple computers, started Ozz-fest as a music and tech. expo.

the first GUI based computer was the Apple Lisa but due to high production cost it was not marketable.

pac-man was inspired from a pizza with a missing slice.

by '81 over 100,000 arcade pac-mans' had been sold:eek:

atari didn't code their games, so anyone could make them. thus they eventually lost control of quality control and direction of their product, thus they eventually went out.

The booming adult entertainment industry of the 80's choose to use the VHS over the higher quality beta-max. This surge in popularity is what led the VHS to triumph.:lol:

The DMC-12 or the DeLorean has stainless steel body panels. :thunb:

Funrover
September 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Only you man.. only you!

SCRubicon
September 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM
The DMC-12 or the DeLorean has stainless steel body panels. :thunb:

170 horsepower V6 hunk of crap that went zero to 60 in 10.5 seconds... That is until Emmett Lathrop "Doc" Brown got his hands on one :D

Pathrat
September 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM
170 horsepower V6 hunk of crap that went zero to 60 in 10.5 seconds... That is until Emmett Lathrop "Doc" Brown got his hands on one :D

His mods made it trail-worthy and useful again.

And know what? I think I saw that show when it first aired...I remember the Atari bit and the Apple Lisa.

Brody
September 26th, 2008, 05:55 AM
DeLorean's straddle the white lines on the road, making them somewhat difficult to drive...

Chris
September 26th, 2008, 08:38 AM
IIRC the Lisa cost 12K, I bought a used inoperable one for $150 a number of years ago. Pretty advanced machine, first time I booted it an alert showed on the screen asking if I wanted to fix the errors. Clicked yes and 36 hours later it was fully operational and totally restored with all apps working.

Apple developers bid like crazy for it when I eBayed it. :cool:

4Runner3Wheeler
September 26th, 2008, 09:05 AM
:D Nice!

DeLorean's straddle the white lines on the road, making them somewhat difficult to drive...