PDA

View Full Version : Toyota commercials grrrrr

Pathrat
September 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Rant on

SO, has anyone seen the Toyota 4Runner commercial, that shows the grey grocery-getter driving off a map of Canyonlands, Utah, off the table the map is on, then onto the floor, as a red line showing the travel of the vehicle??? One, that road is not continuous, but more importantly than my retentive comment about accuracy, I would love to see a freaking Highlander going through Lavender or Salt Creek or ANYTHING along there. The commercial has the fake rig just tearing on down those dirt roads.

I wasn't going to rant until I saw an FJ Cruiser commerical just now. OOOH, it was going through SNOW, on stock tires, maybe three inches of snow! And it went down a road milder than Guanella! Oh for cripes' sake! A stock FJC can do better! Idiots in their advertising department made my truck look like a pansy mall-crawler!

:mad: rant off

4Runninfun
September 19th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Rant on

SO, has anyone seen the Toyota 4Runner commercial, that shows the grey grocery-getter driving off a map of Canyonlands, Utah, off the table the map is on, then onto the floor, as a red line showing the travel of the vehicle??? One, that road is not continuous, but more importantly than my retentive comment about accuracy, I would love to see a freaking Highlander going through Lavender or Salt Creek or ANYTHING along there. The commercial has the fake rig just tearing on down those dirt roads.

I wasn't going to rant until I saw an FJ Cruiser commerical just now. OOOH, it was going through SNOW, on stock tires, maybe three inches of snow! And it went down a road milder than Guanella! Oh for cripes' sake! A stock FJC can do better! Idiots in their advertising department made my truck look like a pansy mall-crawler!

:mad: rant off

Actually i haven't seen this commercial, but i have seen the new jeep ad where they are comparing their new jeep to a roller coaster, and they are doing much of the same just flying down these dirt roads. I think it sends completely the wrong image. Just sad that now it's perpetuated by corp. america.

Brody
September 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
And me, I don't watch any TV of any kind...haven't for about 25 years. These kinds of commercials are just one of the many, many reasons I don't. It is way to easy to get or promote lies and misinformation in front of way too many people in a very short period of time.

FYI

Tvs and old computers are extremely fun to shoot all to hell, especially with large caliber weapons. Just remember to clean up all the pieces before you go home.

4Runninfun
September 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Tvs and old computers are extremely fun to shoot all to hell, especially with large caliber weapons. Just remember to clean up all the pieces before you go home.

YES! it is getting so sad. I drive up Mt. Herman any more and all there is, is people shooting the crap out of this type of stuff. and now it's just a mess and i don't even want to go up there. But if you clean up after yourself then yes it can be LOTS of fun :D

SCRubicon
September 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
The ones that really irritated me were the tug-of-war Ford vs. Chevy commercials. :D

Brody
September 20th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Most of the time I just set up a tactical course with paper plates stapled to trees, tree stumps, people I don't especially care for, dogs, cats, etc. all at various hieghts and take 'em down when I am done....except the stuff that decomposes, of course. Worms gotta eat, too.

The other stuff that I shoot that makes a mess, I usually bring a leaf rake and a garbage bag for. It usually takes me longer to pick up my brass than it does to shoot all the ammo I bring.

Mt Herman is getting bad. In Wells book that covers that area, there is an area off of Balanced Rock Road where he shows a cool spot with a picnic table. Well, I found that old, old road years ago in order to access the rocks below the ridge where we were putting up some new rock climbs. I pulled aside the branches for about 70', then trimmed them off to get to the ridge top. We were brushing out our tracks every time we went, but someone later found the road and trimmed all the trees to get a big rig in there. Of course, the trail and beautiful camp spot at the end got trashed out. We just cleaned it up every time we went. Then someone ******* cut the really nice (living) shade tree down. I found a picnic table that had been disguarded off of Rampart and drug it to the site. The following week I built some really nice benches and nailed the table to the stump of the shade tree.

This worked out pretty well for a few years and people were actually managing the trash ok. I went out there last year and the place was not only trashed out, but some really stupid people had burned the picnic table and benches for firewood. This last was really dumb as now there is nowhere to sit unless you bring a chair and there is a huge amount of dead standing aspen minutes from the site.

These people should wear t-shirts showing where all their vital organs are and it should be open season on them. Hell, we should get points or be paid a bounty for every set of ears we bring in.

Pathrat
September 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
These people should wear t-shirts showing where all their vital organs are and it should be open season on them. Hell, we should get points or be paid a bounty for every set of ears we bring in.

So my rant went back to what seems like a pet topic of a number of us: having to share air with patently stupid people (not the disabled, the willfully stupid).

Yes, tearing down a dirt road is not wheeling and it makes us look like Bubba-tards. Have not seen the one you mention SCRubicon.

Brody, you don't need t-shirts, I can spot you all real good in that department. :D Ever see Boondock Saints? About a few Irish boys who decided to assist where natural selection has failed.

Ears and beer cans, make a war stick like some of the tribes used to do.

Brody
September 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM
Ahhh....Boondock Saints....my idea of a romantic comedy....

Don't really need help with organ location what with a nursing background and all...oh...the size caliber that I use leaves a big margin for error, too.

I like the war stick idea ...beer cans and ears, you bet. One at the start of each trail would get the general idea across, too.

Warrlord
September 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
Yes, tearing down a dirt road is not wheeling and it makes us look like Bubba-tards.

I agree & yup, I've seen them. I've also seen similar commercials (some older, some newer) that show Subaru, Suzuki, Ford, Chevy, Mitsubishi, etc, doing the same thing. Some of them show the vehicles driving across what looks like a field, or prairie, tundra, etc. The advertising companies for the auto manufacturers need a lesson on "Stay The Trail".

I like the little disclaimer at the bottom of the tv screen during those commercials...........:rolleyes:

"Do not attempt. This is a professional driver on a closed course"

4Runninfun
September 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
"Do not attempt. This is a professional driver on a closed course"

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/4runninfun/Motivational_6d.jpg

Pathrat
September 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
I like the war stick idea ...beer cans and ears, you bet. One at the start of each trail would get the general idea across, too.

Great idea to post these at the head of the trail; I will provide the sticks.