PDA

View Full Version : Any Ham Radio Folks Here?

Chris
August 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Just curious if anyone's running a ham radio in their truck. I thought it would be good to be able to reach the outside world if things went very wrong when :princess: and are are wheeling alone.

Got my technicians (operators) license but haven't gotten around to looking at radio's yet.

Sorry, didn't mean to conjure up images of the radio geek sitting in the corner of his basement in his jockeys :lol:

SCRubicon
August 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I've been thinking about it since the Morse code requirement is no longer. Where did you go to get your license?

Chris
August 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
There was a RS group of 20+ doing it and I joined in that, the FAA came to us for testing. I wouldn't have even tried if morse code was still required.

· · · — — — · · ·

:D

4Runner3Wheeler
August 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM
HAM radio is by far the way to go for range and less distortion. The only problem is that HAM doesn't readily communicate with CB. I was under the impression that F2 frequency or ?modulation could actually communicate with the CB bands, but this isn't the case without potentially illegal modifications due to the longer range of HAM.

I would like to get my technician's license and use a mobile tranceiver, but am likely just going to get a CB to stay in touch with rigs already equipped with CBs. The ideal would be a HAM setup that could still reach CB channels versus having one of each in an already space-demanded cab.

No one should be afraid of the HAM test. It consists of set questions you can study before taking the test. If some of the crew wants to pursue taking the test, I'd like to be included. HAM is the way to go!

Chris
August 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM
The test is easy, there are a few online versions that match the real test. Pass the online version and you'll pass the test. You're right about the incompatibilities between ham & cb, 2 radios required.

KD0FRX

mikem
August 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I got my license a few years ago. I have a ICOM IC-T90A handheld, but have only used it a few times. It would be nice to wheel with some other HAMs so I could use my expensive radio again.

HAM is much better than CB. I've been able to talk to someone over 35 miles away. With repeaters, you can get even greater range.

The test is easy. Just do a practice test online until you are comfortable with the answers. The practice tests use the actual questions from the real exam.

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html is the test I used.

KG6SEB

MikeM

Chris
August 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
http://www.qrz.com/testing.html is the test I used.

That's the one I used too. Pass it consistently and the test is just as easy. It's probably a good idea to read the book to learn the fine points. I plan to do that someday. ;)

KnuckleHead
August 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Speaking of radios and cb's, does anyone know how to tune in a cb? I've heard that to get the best out of the cb you should tune it in with your ant.???? I have mine in and it seems almost like it's not picking up or going out like it should.

Chris
August 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
First thing to check is your ground, make sure you aren't grounding the antenna. Second you need an SWF meter to tune for a decent signal. I loaned out my CB with the built-in SWF otherwise I'd let you use it for your antenna.

Tye
August 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Speaking of radios and cb's, does anyone know how to tune in a cb? I've heard that to get the best out of the cb you should tune it in with your ant.???? I have mine in and it seems almost like it's not picking up or going out like it should.

You should be able to go to any "mom & pop" c.b. shop and they can help you, thats what I'll do from time to time. :2c:

mikem
August 19th, 2008, 09:36 PM

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm