PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Open?

Pathrat
August 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
SO the rain and threat of mudslides, according to NWS, is curtailing our planned trip to Leadville and the 50% of rain around Lake City and Ouray nixes plan B. Now I am looking for a place to wheel tomorrow, if the rain isn't stupid bad. Is Argentine open? Anything else around the Breck area recommended?

Thanks!

SCRubicon
August 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
SO the rain and threat of mudslides, according to NWS, is curtailing our planned trip to Leadville and the 50% of rain around Lake City and Ouray nixes plan B. Now I am looking for a place to wheel tomorrow, if the rain isn't stupid bad. Is Argentine open? Anything else around the Breck area recommended?

Thanks!

From what I've seen, Argentine is open. Look into Georgia Pass. It goes from Breck to Jefferson (285) up hill, or Jefferson to Breck down hill. Other goodies are the North fork of the Swan, Chihuahua Gulch, and SantaFe Peak. (these trails are closer to Montezuma)

Chris
August 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I just got back from Argentine. it was cloudy and cold. :(

Pathrat
August 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
From what I've seen, Argentine is open. Look into Georgia Pass. It goes from Breck to Jefferson (285) up hill, or Jefferson to Breck down hill. Other goodies are the North fork of the Swan, Chihuahua Gulch, and SantaFe Peak. (these trails are closer to Montezuma)

Was thinking Georgia and looking up Santa Fe, as I have not done the latter yet.

Chris, every single time I have gone up to Argentine it has been cold and spitting snow or some other form of H2O out of the sky.

Jimmy
August 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Chris, every single time I have gone up to Argentine it has been cold and spitting snow or some other form of H2O out of the sky.

Welcome to high country/high altitude offroading. :) I've been hailed on in the middle of summer when over 12k feet. Expect anything and everything when wheeling at those heights. I keep extra clothes, jackets, and a blanket or two in the rig at all times but especially when heading up that high.

Pathrat
August 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Welcome to high country/high altitude offroading. :) I've been hailed on in the middle of summer when over 12k feet. Expect anything and everything when wheeling at those heights. I keep extra clothes, jackets, and a blanket or two in the rig at all times but especially when heading up that high.

Smart man. We declined and stayed closer to home.