PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the desert article from Utah

Pathrat
August 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Lesson of the day: be prepared!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080806/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_lost_convoy;_ylt=Ahq0FZpvb0McDyhMBCKS BgwEtbAF

Chris
August 6th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Key sentence:

"a GPS device is no substitute for good judgment or detailed topographical maps."

Pathrat
August 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Key sentence:

"a GPS device is no substitute for good judgment or detailed topographical maps."

Yes and Yes

More water than you need in such a hot, remote area is a plus when you are not prepared with good navigational maps and some idea of what you are doing.

Patrolman
August 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Holy cow! Good thing I always heed my own rules and advice! People look at me funny when I go out to Utah, but I go prepared for the worst.

2 gallons of water per person per day
Enough food for an extra 3-4 days
Topo maps
GPS for coordinates and compass as backup
Always 2 vehicles minimum
Tire chains
Approx 50% extra fuel in jerry cans

All this should allow for survival if needed. I hate to rely on someone to come find me! Should always be self sufficient and prepared for anything. No, I wasn't a boy scout.

Pathrat
August 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I used to be one of those unprepared people, a number of years ago, and no one told me that maybe I should rethink what I was doing. Of course, I did a lot of crap on the spur of the moment.

Still, I get your point Jeff. When I was telling my mom all of the stuff I was bringing to the Maze, I got "why are you bringing all that?" Just in case. Turns out I needed more fuel and water, even with me overestimating my needs, and stupid rain gear. All the basics.