PDA

View Full Version : Barbour Fork Cleanup #3

Chris
July 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
This will be on Saturday, August 23rd and depending on your preferences may be the time to start chopping up the Bronco for removal.

For certain I'd like to install our "birdcage" pictured here:

Brody
July 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am certainly gonna try for this run. We probably could use a generator and a trailer, torch and some rolling Ford rims and tires. Torch, sazall, BFHs and the judicious application of gentle force using winches will work.

Jimmy
July 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Come hell or high water, I should be done slaving away in the basement and hope to make this one. Will update my status as things draw nearer.

Pathrat
July 25th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I am, so far, scheduled to work that Saturday. I don't work Saturdays, so I thought...:mad:

Patrolman
July 25th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Chris and I had talked yesterday about doing this on a Sunday. Anyone opposed?

Pathrat
July 25th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Chris and I had talked yesterday about doing this on a Sunday. Anyone opposed?

I would have a better chance of going, with my kids too, if we did change to Sunday.

Chris
July 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Jeff's got some equipment that would make it much easier, specifically a hoist he can mount in his pickup to pull the motor and put in his truck to be hauled away. How many cordless angle grinders could we drum up? How many pickups to haul the junk away?

Pathrat
July 25th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Jeff's got some equipment that would make it much easier, specifically a hoist he can mount in his pickup to pull the motor and put in his truck to be hauled away. How many cordless angle grinders could we drum up? How many pickups to haul the junk away?

Hugh's pick-up can't make it up the path in it's stock state. I can strap crap to my roof rack if needed. All my tools, sawzall, roto-zip and all that are electric driven. If I get to go, let me know if there is other stuff I can bring. I will bring a large garbage can for sharp stuff.

Jimmy
July 25th, 2008, 09:33 PM
No opposition to a Sunday. So, how tough (trail-wise) is it to get to this Bronco? My compact, long bed pickup is a 4x4, but stock... which means it's low to the ground and not locked/positraction (even though the invoice says the rear is supposed to have a posi).

Next question - What's going to be done with the big chunks of vehicle? Is there a free dump that'll take them, or a junkyard? If all this has been discussed before, just point me in the right direction. :) I'll take a guess that nothing is worth salvaging from it.

Chris
July 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
No title so junk yards won't take it as I understand so far. Steel scrap values have risen from what Jeff mentioned though. I suggest that anyone who can haul a load to a scrap yard should get the proceeds.

Jimmy, it's not a hard trail and the obstacles that come to mind have bypasses. I'll let other's chime in to give their opinions.

Was it Andy that had the cordless angle grinder?

Cutting torches could make short work of it too.

Patrolman
July 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I don't have anything cordless, but I do have a 3500 watt generator. That should power nearly anything we need. Will have to give it a good tuneup to take it though. Was running rough last time I had it out.

I have overload springs in my truck, so I can carry about 1,600+ pounds in the Yota. The trail to get to it is mildly difficult for a stock rig, but it is only a short distance of more difficult terrain. Parts could be trucked down and loaded into other trucks. I also have my trailer and can haul about 1,000 in it, but it won't make it up the last section of the trail. If I bring the generator and other such tools, I might need someone to bring them back into town if I load up the trucks with scrap.

I proposed Sunday since the scrap yards aren't open on Sunday. If we do Saturday, the truck will be loaded all Sunday. Grumpy neighbors. If we do a Sunday, then the truck can be emptied Monday morning. I think scrap is $200+ per ton now, likely closer to $250. I suggested using any $ to pay for fuel and lunch. Any other $ can go to a group lunch somewhere later on down the road if there aren't any better suggestions.

Jimmy
July 25th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure my HOA doesn't have heartache over junk in the back of a truck... but the moment it hits the ground and is visible, watch out! :)

I'll have to find a steel scrap yard over this way if this all works out.

gragravar
July 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I think I can actually make this one. I'll put it on the calendar.

Patrolman
July 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I don't have an HOA, but the city has Code Enforcement. They harrassed me about having junk in the back of my 4Runner once. Get a life, right?!

The nearest scrap yard to me is just West of Santa Fe on Oxford. Unsure about others in town, but there are several.

Chris
July 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM
New thread on this: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12059