PDA

View Full Version : July 19th Trail Cleanup and 5280Hawk's Breakin Run

5280Hawk
June 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hi guys!

Well since I got to Meet up with Chris this weekend, we started talking about a Wheeling trip to take out my 60, in the next few weeks. I have stuff going on up until the weekend of July 19th. but I'm up for either Saturday or Sunday, and Chris had some ideas on where to go. So anyone who wants to go, lets start a plan.

Chris
June 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Pick the day, both work for me. As I said when we talked there are some nice close-in trails we can choose to break in your 60. Maybe Rampart Range if we want to go south or anything by Central City/Georgetown to go northish.

This should be something moderate since Ben hasn't had this truck off-road yet. Anyone have a recommendation?

Pathrat
June 30th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I thought I saw that part two of the trail clean up is the 19th of July, am I mistaken?

Chris
June 30th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Nope, I just checked the calendar :o

Chris
July 1st, 2008, 06:50 AM
I've been too busy with moving and getting ready for Moab that I haven't had time to think of the next cleanup run. Maybe we could incorporate the maiden run for you with this Ben.

I'm all for doing the cleanup and another run on Sunday too. ;)

5280Hawk
July 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM
The clean up day is fine.

It will be good for me to participate in that. What trail are we cleaning/running?

My friend Andy, would like to go as well, he's got a 4runner he wants to take.

Chris
July 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM
Okay Ben, it's a plan and Andy is welcome!

It's Barbour Fork out of Idaho Springs.

5280Hawk
July 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Nice, that sounds great!

do i need to bring any tools? I have shovels, a rake, ect., but Im figuring grubby clothes and work gloves right?

What about a meeting time and such?

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'll check with the FS and see if they'd like us to do anything beyond a followup cleanup. We will be posting a sign which will include contact information for Front Range 4x4 but I don't think I'll have time to get this planned and executed.

Let's see what happens, at the least we can have a bit of fun and familiarize ourselbes with "our trail."

Brody
July 4th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Best post a meeting time and place. As I understood it, we need to sign up with the FS when we go in, so maybe the same place and time would work.

As for running another trail, Rampart is about 1 1/2 hours (figuring Dakan Mountain as it is about the closet 4x road off of Rampart-everything else is 2 wheel drive) away from Barbour Forks, so why drive this much farther? Why not Bill Moore/Mill Creek/Elephant Hill if there is time as they are essentially just across the road? From the meeting time to trash dump on the last clean up, including lunch, we were gone from about 9AM to 4:30PM, so there might not even be time to run another trail. Just something to keep in mind.

Another thought: why don't we run the trail in reverse this time as it is supposed to be harder this way?

Pathrat
July 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Were we waiting for the FS go-ahead as far as the legalities of removing a long-abandoned vehicle? It isn't like any one is going to do anything more than dump some pieces at a scrap yard or someplace that does industrial recycling, right? How about something on FS letterhead stating the origin of the Bronco as being on FS land and for how long it has been sitting on FS land, and that we were asked to remove it?

It sounds like there is a plan to pick up the detritus left behind by heavily treading humans and plan for the Bronco removal. Maybe we could take out a few small parts this trip if anyone has hauling room.

FOOD: group effort again?

btw: 5280Hawk, I am looking forward to seeing your rig, I loved the build up pictures.

Brody
July 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Why are we having the trail clean ups so close together?
What is the meeting time and place?
Do we have to do another sign up at the FS building?
Do we have to do another FS safety orientation?
What tools do we need to bring this time?
What does the FS expect of us as far as a trail clean up this time?
Are we planning on doing anything about the Bronco and what are the legalities?
Are we planning on doing another run if there is time?

Chris
July 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hey Pete! The Rampart Range suggestion was for Ben's break-in run as an alternative to Barbour Fork. I haven't heard from the FS other than his email was down for a couple weeks so Let's just make it a run and clean up whatever we see as we normally would. A second run sounds good to me, you pick the second trail and I'm good with that.

Brody
July 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
How about Bill Moore Lake?

What is the meeting time and place? I have no internet during the week now and will have to go off of what I read this weekend or Friday PM.

Brody
July 12th, 2008, 07:48 PM
So is someone going to post any information about this run??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????

Chris
July 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM
My access is back since I just got home from Moab. Let's meet at 9am at the Idaho Springs McDonalds. Bill Moore sounds good to me!

Pathrat
July 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM
My access is back since I just got home from Moab. Let's meet at 9am at the Idaho Springs McDonalds. Bill Moore sounds good to me!

9am Idaho Springs McDonalds...I am still planning on bringing a glass bucket. We are in.

Brody
July 13th, 2008, 06:05 AM
9AM at the Idaho Springs Micky Ds....I'll be there.

Hey Pathrat..if Jeff is going to come, bring some more tissue glue! HEHE...Sorry Jeff...

I can bring a couple of drywall mud buckets which will work fine for glass. It might be worthwhile to bring a couple of regular rakes and a lawn rake, too.

Anyone have an idea of how many folks are going? And what about the FS sign in, etc??

5280Hawk
July 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM
Well that was a GREAT Run, Not only for me because i really got to get a feel for what my 60 can do, but gettting to meet everyone that showed up!

Stephanie(Pathrat), Chris and Barb, Danny (4runner freak), and Andy (who got a tire at least 2 Feet off the ground in a SPOT!).

I didn't bring a camera but Chris and Stephanie and Andy will be getting photos up soon, i hope. and we did a TON of cleaning along the entire trail, including pulling some parts off the old Bronco that's stuck up there. Thanks everyone for coming, and we will plan another trip really soon!