PDA

View Full Version : 220V oultet need wired

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 14th, 2018, 09:21 PM
hi all, Im trying to see what cost Im looking at to add a 220V outlet under my panel in the garage. the outlet would be put right under the panel and likely a 50A breaker would be needed.

The purpose is for a 220V 190A welder.

I appreciate any help,

Thank you

Jim
August 14th, 2018, 10:06 PM
I can recommend a few local electricians if nobody here can task it for you.

newracer
August 15th, 2018, 12:20 AM
Do you have space in the panel for the breaker? Is the bottom of the panel readily accessible? Can you post a picture of the location?

I wired my own, it's actually very easy.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 15th, 2018, 05:16 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2TkThY2.jpgthere is plenty of space left in the panel, yes the bottom of the panel is easily accessible.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 15th, 2018, 05:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/C97ITHj.jpg?1https://imgur.com/C97ITHjhttps://imgur.com/C97ITHj

newracer
August 15th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Looks easy enough. Just need the outlet, a remodel box that fits it, cover plate, a few feet or wire, breaker, and a strain relief for the box.

Rover Guy
August 15th, 2018, 08:52 PM
I'm an electrician, but I'm in Aurora. I can walk you through it, if that helps.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 15th, 2018, 08:58 PM
What should all that cost?

newracer
August 15th, 2018, 09:50 PM
Probably less than $50.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 16th, 2018, 08:14 AM
thats not too bad at all

newracer
August 16th, 2018, 09:00 AM
You would need an out let to match your plug but it should be about the cost of this one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-30-Amp-125-250-Volt-Black-Indoor-Round-Wall-Dryer-Power-Outlet/3775477

And the rest except wire, they don't have the wire by the foot online.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Gang-Blue-Plastic-Interior-Old-Work-Standard-Rectangular-Wall-Electrical-Box/50046395
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-2-Gang-White-Single-Round-Wall-Plate/1000050451
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-Homeline-50-Amp-2-Pole-Standard-Trip-Circuit-Breaker/1078729
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gampak-3-4-in-NM-SE-Connector/1087283

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 16th, 2018, 04:58 PM
does 50 amp sound like too much for a breaker. I saw a youtube video for the same welder and a guy was stepping a 30 amp to a 24amp.

newracer
August 16th, 2018, 06:04 PM
The manual for the welder should specify what size breaker it needs.

GPP33
August 16th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Bigger is better, though 30amps would be fine for that welder. I’m Probably going to wire in another 220v outlet for my new compressor in the next few days. Almost the exact same situation as you. You are welcome to come down and watch what needs to be done, it’s really super simple.

Tom
August 16th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Upper left two breakers in your box are 220. Just open it up and hook up your new one just the same.

JandDGreens
August 17th, 2018, 04:54 AM
That should be a piece of cake, but if you have never done electrical I would have someone who knows what he is doing help you.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 17th, 2018, 07:14 AM
I've never added any electrical to a home haha, I would prefer not frying myself

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 17th, 2018, 08:12 AM
It looks like 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp breaker is common with this welder. Is there anything tooling wise for a garage that anyone suggests stepping up to a 50 amp breaker for?

GPP33
August 17th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Bigger welders could pull over 30, my millermatic 210 came with a 50 amp plug but it doesn’t pull a full 50 amps, not sure about compressors. It won’t hurt to go bigger, you just have more buffer and the cost will be about the same.

GPP33
August 17th, 2018, 10:31 PM
A couple small pieces of advice.

Take a breaker down to HD or Lowe’s with you, it took me 3 trips to get ones that would work and even then I had to modify some plastic. Yours should be easier though since you have plenty of open slots, mine was full so I had to use some double breakers but they didn’t have em for my box.

Get stranded wire. Solid is a pain in the ass when it’s that big. Individual stranded is sooooo much easier to work with. Use black for the two hot leads and green for the ground, Lowe’s and HD sell both by the foot. I used 8 gage for a 50 amp outlet and it was about $.60/ foot.

Total for all the bits and pieces was about $40.

dieseldoc
August 18th, 2018, 12:03 PM

Take a breaker down to HD or Lowe’s with you, it took me 3 trips to get ones that would work and even then I had to modify some plastic. Yours should be easier though since you have plenty of open slots, mine was full so I had to use some double breakers but they didn’t have em for my box.

Get stranded wire. Solid is a pain in the ass when it’s that big. Individual stranded is sooooo much easier to work with. Use black for the two hot leads and green for the ground, Lowe’s and HD sell both by the foot. I used 8 gage for a 50 amp outlet and it was about $.60/ foot.

This is the way to go.
The heavy dudty will leave you more buffer for bigger machines.
That 190 is not a bad unit but the bigger the stuff you want to work on....
The bigger the machine.....I love that I have access to a MillerMatic 350P
This pulls over 40 amp we know but not how much more....
And on 220v it pulls harder....wish we had the 408v the machine really wants!

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 18th, 2018, 03:24 PM

Do I just switch one off and pull it out, can it be any or does it need to be one of the top bigger ones?

Jim
August 18th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Do I just switch one off and pull it out

Kinda, yes, though if you're asking the question I wish to say - be careful as unless you're cutting power to the whole box (unlikely) you'll be working in a live panel. You'll be removing the outer cover. Locating a breaker to remove to take to the store as a sample. Disconnecting the load line(s) from the breaker - and locating them such that they can't connect to a live portion of the panel. Then you pop out the breaker and head to the store (possibly putting the panel cover on as a safety cover while you're away from it).

If you'd like me to stop over and show you, I could. (I'm thinking of heading out on errands this aft)

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 18th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Thank you for the offer, but I think I would cut the power off just to be safe. I found a few youtube videos of folks installing breakers for 220v welders. It didn't seem terrible, just three wires, two hot and a ground.

Tom
August 18th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Thank you for the offer, but I think I would cut the power off just to be safe. I found a few youtube videos of folks installing breakers for 220v welders. It didn't seem terrible, just three wires, two hot and a ground.
Yep. Code requires the wire to be fixed (staple) to the stud just before entering each box. Also clamped entering the breaker box.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 18th, 2018, 10:11 PM
will stranded wire clamp just fine out of the outlet?

GPP33
August 18th, 2018, 10:50 PM
will stranded wire clamp just fine out of the outlet?

Yes. Really no need to shut the power off to the whole panel, just don’t touch the hot bars. Flip the breaker off and keep pushing, it’ll flip up and slide out. Once out unscrew the wire, the screw will be hot when the breaker is on so do it after it’s out to be safe. You can take any one with you, there’s several different styles and you want to make sure you get the right one.

newracer
August 19th, 2018, 12:02 AM
If you use stranded wire it will need to be in conduit. Personally I'd use a short piece of Romex so it doesn't need to be in conduit. Where are you in FoCo? I might be able to stop by and give you a hand. If you are not familiar with working with electricity I'd recommend you shut off the entire panel before doing any work.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 19th, 2018, 02:33 AM
Im now in severance. I wouldn't mind someone knowing what they are doing, ide just need to get the supplies from the hardware store. I do intend to switch the main off regardless, just for safety.

newracer
August 19th, 2018, 11:29 AM
I am in Timnath, not far from Severance. Get all the parts together and we can figure out a time. You should be able to just use the panel type to find a breaker.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 19th, 2018, 08:35 PM
I grabbed the same type of breaker as the 40A, I assume it's the same as the brand was identical with the 50A, build looks the same.
Haha I haven't been so lost in a hardware store for a long time, kinda fun looking for stuff I've never sought out before.

GPP33
August 27th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Did you ever get this in?

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 27th, 2018, 09:47 PM
No not yet, I believe i have everything though, I'll post parts pic in a bit just to check

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 28th, 2018, 12:08 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zeIcfAH.jpg

am I missing anything? will need a saw for drywall, but that's about it.

Jim
August 28th, 2018, 12:41 AM
If all you need to cut for the drywall is for the workbox, then a Jab Saw would be high on the list. Draw your cut-line on the drywall for the workbox, press tip of blade against drywall - smack with a free hand the end of the saw to push it through - start sawing - done.

I'm was on a wiring project today - five workbox locations - easy and done.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/21Fk1DkuDxL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

newracer
August 28th, 2018, 08:27 AM
That type of wire will need to be run in conduit and if you are running conduit you do not need the NM/SEU connectors or the wire staples. You might need a different box too.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 28th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Solid wire instead?

newracer
August 28th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Yes and it needs to be in a sheath like this.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/CA1.5GSLASH3.JPG

You should still be able to buy it by the foot. I might even have some scrap. How much do you need?

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 28th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Do they make 8awg wire in shielded strands like that?

I believe I bought what I got from Lowe's cuz it was the only 8awg 50amp rated stranded wire they had. I bought 5ft sections just for versatility pending where I chose to place the outlet.

What type of wire is that called?

ColoJeeper
August 28th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Romex wire

4x4JeePmaNthINg
August 28th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Thank you sir, off to the hardware store

Went and got 5ft of 6-2 romex, the guy said that's what you need to run because I'm using the 50A breaker.

GPP33
September 1st, 2018, 10:20 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Yea, unfortunately if you are running it behind the drywall without conduit you need romex, stranded is way easier to work with though. Not sure why they don’t sell jacketed stranded. Actually I’m not sure why the electric code requires that jacketed romex crap, it’s not like the jacket provides any real protection. It’s probably at higher risk of damage than unjacketed stranded due to it being a PITA to work with

4x4JeePmaNthINg
September 1st, 2018, 11:00 PM
well luckily i have both after finding out the stranded wasnt ideal. 6-2 is big wire to, I hope this stuff will work fine.

GPP33
September 2nd, 2018, 07:27 AM
Took another look at your pic, you’re going to want a bigger box, one of the deep 4x4 square ones, not the 2x4 rectangular. That’s a big plug and some thick stubborn wire that you need to shove in there.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
September 2nd, 2018, 01:50 PM
Can do, thank you!

Tom
September 2nd, 2018, 03:07 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Yea, unfortunately if you are running it behind the drywall without conduit you need romex, stranded is way easier to work with though. Not sure why they don’t sell jacketed stranded. Actually I’m not sure why the electric code requires that jacketed romex crap, it’s not like the jacket provides any real protection. It’s probably at higher risk of damage than unjacketed stranded due to it being a PITA to work with
Its to protect from the required staples along the stud and entrance to boxes.

GPP33
September 2nd, 2018, 11:17 PM
Its to protect from the required staples along the stud and entrance to boxes.

I understand that, my point is that the stuff tears so easy that it’s not actually providing any protection.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
September 3rd, 2018, 03:34 PM
I just want this to be to code and installed by someone with electrical experience.

newracer
September 3rd, 2018, 05:00 PM
I can probably come by Tuesday or Wednesday and give you a hand.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
September 3rd, 2018, 05:05 PM
I'm off tomorrow, ide like to know it's installed by a licenced or of such capacity persons.

GPP33
September 5th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I just want this to be to code and installed by someone with electrical experience.

I certainly wasn't implying that you shouldn't do it to code, just that the code is kinda silly.

4x4JeePmaNthINg
September 5th, 2018, 03:03 PM
No worries, lots of helpful info was learned!