PDA

View Full Version : CB input

Mobyjeep
August 2nd, 2018, 07:41 PM
I am going to order a CB this week and need some input

im not sure if I should go with the cobra 75 Jeep jk kit from rightchannelradios.com
or midland 75-822 hh with a firestik antennae and piece everything together myself

any thoughts?

newracer
August 2nd, 2018, 07:58 PM
I have the Cobra and it has worked well for me. An additional speaker can help with the sound. I have no experience with the Midland but it looks nice.

Brian
August 2nd, 2018, 09:12 PM
+1 for the Cobra. Got it and a Firestick antenna. Tuned it and have had no problems. I like it because you can put the speaker next to your ear if need be since it's part of the hand set.

Tom
August 3rd, 2018, 06:26 AM
Ive the cobra 75wst in my Jk. It works well. The connect boxis in the comsole with a with a single wire running out the front. There is a moc mount that hooks in just under the glove box. I also have a speaker mounted on the sound bar right near my head. The antenna mounts by the spare. I will try to shoot some pics for you.
Search amazon for “cobra 75wxst mic mount”.

i like my ham radio much better than my cb though.

goSlo
August 3rd, 2018, 06:26 AM
Cobra + Firestik II here too, having a stereo unit with aux cable support is great.
Pipe the CB to the speakers of your rig.

Tom
August 3rd, 2018, 11:35 AM
Photos of my setup.
1. Inside of my console is the connection box. Power from the socket. Antenna and speaker wire come in under the back side of the console. Two holes inside the console.

2. Connection to the hand unit. One hole on the outside of the console. These are the only hits on your rig for the radio.

3. The grab bar mount I place the link in my earlier post. The yellow area is my mod to hold an HT. The blue rag disguises the head of my ham radio.

4. My overhead and an alternate mic location. I have startd using this since I installed my ham moble rig. Reaching acroos the mobile rig to answer a cb call kept tweaking my ham settings. There are also two speakers. One for my ham and one for my cb.

5. How I stow the hand unit when not using. Disguises the fact that there is a radio on board.

Mobyjeep
August 3rd, 2018, 12:22 PM
Just ordered the cobra thanks guys for all the info! I’ll post pics after I install it.

Getaklu
August 3rd, 2018, 01:43 PM
3. The grab bar mount

Not to hijack the thread, but how sturdy is that grab bar bracket Tom? I am thinking i could use it to mount my large GPS to in hopes of keeping it a bit more out of the way and secured. I can't tell from any online descriptions what it may be capable of holding.

Tom
August 3rd, 2018, 03:27 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but how sturdy is that grab bar bracket Tom? I am thinking i could use it to mount my large GPS to in hopes of keeping it a bit more out of the way and secured. I can't tell from any online descriptions what it may be capable of holding.
I have put my mic along with a handheld (walkie talkie) on it both at the same time. Only issue was that it tended to rotate down a bit. Solved it with an extra screw under the grab bar. Design is just friction and one cannot tighten up the screws in the plastic enough for the extra weight. This screw hole is complerely invisible if I was to remove the holder.

JGRubicon
August 6th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I call the grab bar mount my scalper. Not sure I'll keep it there long term in case of an accident.

Mobyjeep
August 11th, 2018, 11:09 AM
So I installed my cb in my middle console and tapped into my outlet for power. As soon as I turn on the cb in turns off my outlet but when I turn it off my outlet will turn back on..... anyone know why this is happening?

Mobyjeep
August 11th, 2018, 11:21 AM
No the outlet stays on and it pops the cb fuses and I didn’t change anything.

Mobyjeep
August 11th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Nevermind I just hardwired to battery

JGRubicon
August 11th, 2018, 07:39 PM
That's just plain the right way to do it. Sorry we didn't get to you sooner. How is it working now? Did you get the SWR tuned?

Mobyjeep
August 11th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Yea I was trying to do it without adding cable but it was worth it in the end. It’s working great completely hidden in middle console and I bought industrial waterproof Velcro and attached the mini speaker in between the visor and rear view on top bar for easy removability. I will post up some pics tomorrow