PDA

View Full Version : Whatever You Do, Don't Lose Your Key

Eagle6
July 3rd, 2018, 03:44 PM
If you have a jeep that has the keyfob built into it, what every you do don't lose it. Just the key and getting it cut is $285 at the dealership.

Apparently, not only does it have the door locks and emergency button in it, but it has an electronic key embedded it in that activates the car. Just getting a regular key will allow you to turn the car over, but it will either shut off, or just continue to crank.

Protect that second key, like your ride depends upon it.:eek::thumb:

Jackie
July 3rd, 2018, 04:37 PM
Good to know. Thanks! (I hope you didn't learn this the hard way):erm:

dieseldoc
July 3rd, 2018, 04:42 PM
the ignition system in these newer ones is chip dependent. Most wont even crank! the module for the ignition is.....$700-$1000 depending upon the options. Dont even try a aftermarket cut key.....they are very hit and miss. Protect thar 2nd key as its gold!
Dealership shpuld ask to see registration to cut a key.

Eagle6
July 3rd, 2018, 05:06 PM
Good to know. Thanks! (I hope you didn't learn this the hard way):erm:

Well yes and no. I think I left my second key out in California during my last visit. So, I went to see about getting a key made.

I have a back up key to unlock the door (non chipped).

Tom
July 3rd, 2018, 06:45 PM
If you have a jeep that has the keyfob built into it, what every you do don't lose it. Just the key and getting it cut is $285 at the dealership.

Apparently, not only does it have the door locks and emergency button in it, but it has an electronic key embedded it in that activates the car. Just getting a regular key will allow you to turn the car over, but it will either shut off, or just continue to crank.

Protect that second key, like your ride depends upon it.:eek::thumb:

if you have both factory keys you can buy additional on amazon, have them cut at the hardware store, then program them yourself.. at least on jks. I know I have done it.

Don’t remember the exact technique but it is something like take a factory key, turn the ignition on but don’t start, hold the gas pedal to the floor unlil a light flashes, insert the second factory key, then finally the new key. Its in the owners manual.

Jim
July 3rd, 2018, 08:39 PM
That's cool!

dieseldoc
July 3rd, 2018, 08:43 PM
Good to know! Might just have to make a 3rd to stash!

newracer
July 3rd, 2018, 09:26 PM
Yes if you have two you can make a third.

GPP33
July 4th, 2018, 08:25 AM
The chip technology goes back to at least 2000, our TJ has it.