PDA

View Full Version : Insuring your truck

Chris
June 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Nope, I'm not selling insurance. I'm curious what you all do if your truck is like mine with no book value. I talked to an agent today and will see what comes back, my intent is to insure mine for $10K.

Funrover
June 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I have full coverage from State Farm!

Pathrat
June 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
When I last heard about someone looking into this, the agent wanted work receipts for the work done to help calculate value on a modified vehicle that was worth more than an old stocker.

Chris
June 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yes, I've heard of that and have already sent some pics to the agent. I've read enough threads about stolen and crashed trucks to know it can be a major headache. There's a "stated value" policy which works and that's pretty much what I'll hear details about tomorrow.

Patrolman
June 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Let me know what comes of it.

Allstate wanted "receipts" for all the stuff. I bought most of my parts used since I didn't have $ for new stuff. Doesn't mean that I didn't spend $300 for the ARB on the front of my 4Runner. I want to try to get a "stated value" as well. Should be in the interest of guys that have oddities like 85 4Runners where they are generally worth more than any other year. KBB won't reflect the "real" value of a 1985 4Runner.

Chris
June 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I'll let you know how it goes for me Jeff. I'm talking to the agent that helped a guy who rolled his $25,000 truck on the trail recover his loss through a stated value policy.

Patrolman
June 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I am not worried about trail damage or anything else that I could manage to do myself. Mostly worried about the 4Runner growing legs. Basically just need stated value for comprehensive to cover theft. Keep us posted!

Patrolman
June 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I just spent a couple moments browsing online. Geico, who I have, apparently doesn't insure vehicles for stated value. I looked at Haggerty, and they will insure for a stated value. I used a value of $8,000. First typed in 1987 Toyota. Won't accept that. Typed in 1982 Toyota, and it gave me a reasonable quote for 1 year of full coverage. Looks like the key is that the vehicle has to be 25 years old. Will almost certainly do something similar for my Patrol when I put it back on the road!

Only downfall is that they have the following restrictions:

Hagerty does not offer an insurance product for:

Inexpensive home-built kits that do not replicate a classic vehicle
Replicas of the 1963-67 Shelby Cobra Roadster
Any vehicles used for camping, off-road or utility-type driving
Pro-street vehicles modified exclusively with racing features such as roll cages, wheelie caster, nitrous systems, parachutes, etc. (Consideration may be given to show-use only vehicles)
Regular-use vehicles driven on a daily basis
Vehicles used primarily for commercial use
Motorcycles with performance modifications
Any vehicle modified with nitrous, nitro-methane or blown alcohol systems are ineligible.
Dune Buggies

My 4Runner would fall into the camping/offroad vehicles. Luckily my Patrol won't since I would rarely take it offroad.

Chris
June 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Only downfall is that they have the following restrictions:

Any vehicles used for camping, off-road or utility-type driving

That's a pretty big restriction for us. :confused:

Here's what I just got back:

"I have been advised that the company would require either an appraisal on your vehicle or preferably a listing of all the customization that has been done on your Land Cruiser by a qualified party or dealer."

I'll have to see what a qualified party might be.

Pathrat
June 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM
That's a pretty big restriction for us. :confused:

Here's what I just got back:

"I have been advised that the company would require either an appraisal on your vehicle or preferably a listing of all the customization that has been done on your Land Cruiser by a qualified party or dealer."

I'll have to see what a qualified party might be.

Have Brody say he is you and you be the qualified party.

Patrolman
June 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I imagine a qualified person would be a shop, like Redline or maybe Solid Rock, especially since they are familiar with your vehicles from working on them. They can give a realistic $ amount of what replacement expense would be. I would assume the shop in GJ could do the same.

Brody
June 12th, 2008, 04:53 AM
The insurance company that LaDawn and I switched to that I posted earlier because they had such great prices and coverage, will insure my truck to the full value, including all modifications, provided that I have "receipts, pictures and have it appraised by a qualified appraiser". The last pretty much excludes all the shops that you mentioned, including Off Road Solutions and High Country. High Country mentioned that they know of people who appraise built 4x4s and classic autos, but it will cost you about $250-300 to have it done, You will have to balance out what you have invested in your heap to see if it is worth it, but at least this is a start.

Another place to follow this lead is anyplace that sells classic cars or motorcycles for the same reason. You shell out $200k for a '38 Bugatti, you are going to want some coverage...

I haven't had the spare $250+, which I hope doesn't bite me in the ass, or I would have done this by now....

Patrolman
June 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I think part of the problem with my builds, like a lot of other folks, is that I don't have receipts for used parts. My previous insurance said they wanted receipts as well. Also hard to get a receipt for "custom" made parts and modifications.

Chris
June 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I'm going to try to see what I can gather. I have a receipt for the PO's motor rebuild, I can get one from Cruiser Outfitters for suspension stuff I bought and then my upcoming tranny fix added in will put me over 10K alone.

Chris
June 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Without providing anything other than a few pics and general details of "customizations" I got a quote for my truck with $6k in "customizations" for a reasonable price. I'll talk to the agent on Monday.

Chris
June 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Update: Not a hard thing to do after all, it's covered to 10K and I just need to provide an appraisal. They suggested I use

Chris
June 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Update: Not hard to do after all, got 10K coverage due to "customizations" that I provided pictures for. They just wantan appraisal a suggested ORS.

Patrolman
July 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Should ask who you got this through and what the approx annual cost is? Are they providing liability as well, or just the comprehensive $10k portion?

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Should ask who you got this through and what the approx annual cost is? Are they providing liability as well, or just the comprehensive $10k portion?

Remind me when I get back from Moab when I have time to rifle through my unpacked boxes. Liability is included as is uninsured/underinsured motorist.

Patrolman
July 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Will do. Appreciate it! Hope you have a good time!