PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 in an accident-should I buy? what to lool for

JAB
April 26th, 2018, 06:30 AM
thinking of buying this ARB, my buddy stripped the ring gear trying to be a hero in Moab

the pic's show some cosmetic damage to the locker.

pieces were obviously churning around inside.

is this purchase too risky? any thing to look for? thanks for y'alls thoughts :bowdown:

Java
April 26th, 2018, 07:24 AM
That is some professional grade ring gear destruction!!! :thumb:

My last experience with a used diff ended with me buying a new one: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?21787-Rear-Axle-Noise

Having said that, ARBs are tough. Will he let you disassemble it? You can check what parts cost https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-89497-arb-recovery-accessories-arb-locker-replacement-parts.html and see if it's worth it.

Spieg
April 26th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Don't think I'd give more that a couple hundred for it due to the risk. You never know till you try, but differentials are pretty sturdy. If you don't see any stress cracks, it's probably not too bad. I had a Detroit Locker in pretty much the same condition. Gave it to a friend about 5 years ago... he put new gears and bearings on it and he still runs it today.

I think you can have it checked for runout by a machine shop to make sure it's still true.

JAB
April 26th, 2018, 08:54 PM
thanks guys, good advice, I will definitely be able to take it apart to look.
the risk factor is high. wonder what the shop would charge to check?

JandDGreens
May 3rd, 2018, 10:51 PM
I'm going to say no bueno, I don't think it would be worth trying, because if you pay all that money from gears/kit/labor and it blows? Just not worth the risk?...to me

dieseldoc
May 4th, 2018, 06:25 PM
I'm going to say no bueno, I don't think it would be worth trying, because if you pay all that money form gears/kit/labor and it blows? Just not worth the risk?...to me
X2 here. use things you kniw are good. if its trash it can be rebuilt but then you are near the new cost so.....

JandDGreens
May 5th, 2018, 04:34 AM
I worked par time for a master plumber (friend of mine who taught me everything I know about plumbing) for a couple of years. When he was helping me remodel my bathroom I would see things that still worked and say we can use this or that. He goes "we are using band new parts we don't want to have to re-do anything!!! But we rebuild our rigs with used parts all the time but there is no question wither parts are good or not when we do. I just feel something that went through that would be too risky.