PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel?

Chris
June 6th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Who has a Snorkel on their rig? Is it really a functional mod or more of an appearance thing? I have a credit with a parts supplier and wondering if I should add one to my 62. Not for water crossings but maybe to suck less dust. :confused:

TIA!

Patrolman
June 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I would love to add a snorkel to my Toyota's as well. They would be for a practical purpose for occasional water crossings.

One cool idea is to route the air intake into the cabin when you make a water crossing. Basically cut a hole in the firewall. Run the air intake through. Chance of having water in the cabin is slim if the doors/top are on.

Chris
June 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
That's what I've thought myself, they seem to be a "look at me" addition rather than really functionally desirable mod. Plenty of people with them will say they really make a difference and so would I if I laid out the cash. Deep water crossing isn't something we see an awful lot of in Colorado though trail dust is plentiful.

As an aside, I don't mind questions from dumb strangers. :D

Warrlord
June 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I was going to install a snorkel at one time...................before the Haymen fire because the South Platte in Hackett & Longwater would get deep during runoff season. My air filter would get soaked but I'm glad it never hydrolocked. Since the closure of those trails, I didn't pursue getting one. I did however, make the air inlet higher into my cowl. The stock inlet was level with my headlights & the water level would sometimes be at that level.

A couple parts from Home Depot is all it took. I'm figuring if I get in water deep enough to pour into the cowl...................I got bigger problems than stalling the engine. Here's a pic. Not fancy but effective. RTV applied at the tube joints to help prevent water intrusion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Warrlord/Fab/int1.jpg

Chris
June 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
That's a pretty good idea but I avoid deep water, like you said getting in water deep enough to pour into the cowl a guy has bigger problems. :eek:

My thoughts were more along the dust sucked in especially since water crossings more than a 2 feet scare me. :lol:

llesra
June 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
i got a snorkel because of a bad experience with a small water crossing. i didnt notice any difference in power or mpg but its good peace of mind knowing i wont suck water in the intake again. my air filter seems to get dirty faster though...

Patrolman
June 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
We have been in water before where my Toyota's definately wouldn't make it, especially the 4Runner. It draws air from down behind the headlights. Not as concerned with the truck since it draws air from about the same place, but the tube extension can be taken off of the carbed model and just run with the air cleaner box up on top. The EFI on the 4Runner can't be quickly taken apart like that.

Chris
June 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Arsell, interesting that it gets dirtier since that's opposite of what I've heard others say and a reason to justify adding one. Since I don't do high water crossings I'm not seeing much of a reason to add one.

Jimmy
June 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Heehee... I was going to say, "Ask Arsell!" but he already chimed in. The water he had a problem with wasn't deep, so shallower-than-headlamp-height water can be a problem depending on your speed and where your airbox intake is located. There's that once-in-a-million situation when all the planets align and water gets ingested into the motor... I've pulled the spark plugs on more than one vehicle and let the water run out after someone had those planets align. :)

Since I bought mine with a snorkel already installed, can't speak to its perceived improvements to power or any other noticed changes (like a dirtier air cleaner).

Camo Cruiser
June 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Snorkels can be a good thing if needed, of course. I think a nice high intake location and a water trap can be very effective. I definitely would not run it into the cabin. The fumes would run you out of there, also the window would have to be cracked. I think you would be surprised the volume of air a motor can suck. 2bad and I threw around plumbing the intake into an exocage at one time. I think that would be cool. You could run two intake locations and use a redirect valve sorta like guys will on there exhaust. Then you could electronically switch from one to the other. Just some Ideas.

Patrolman
June 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, the in the cab one was kind of bizzare. Not sure if it is as crazy as this one though
http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Projects/Snorkel/Custom_Snorkel.htm

mattscout
June 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Snorkel? Going swimming? Don't you need a face mask too? Seriously it will move your intake point higher for less dust but in Colorado I never needed one for water. If you want to spend 500bucks I would just buy lower gears or a locker. The benefits are more noticeable off road

Chris
June 8th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I've come to that conclusion too, thanks to everyone for their input.

Funrover
June 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
So here is my 2 cents. I have a snorkle.. Homemade. cost under $30 and I love it. There is no power gain but my air filter and such is a mllion times cleaner. I am really happy I did it. Jessica tested the water aspect and t worked, but that's not why I did it!

Chris
June 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
my air filter and such is a mllion times cleaner.

Arsell says his seems to get dirtier with a snorkle. :confused:

llesra
June 9th, 2008, 11:32 PM
the intake facing forward might have something to do with it

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/llesra/DSC048342.jpg

Brody
June 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I was thinking about installing one on my heap, but my problem is not getting enough air. I was going to do the PVC piping and just run it down to the air filter, but not run it directly to the air filter line. Still up in the air on this one..gotta wire in the Split Second URD ECU first which will alleviate my running rich problem probably, making the snorkel redundant. The only benefit that I have been able to see with a snorkel, aside from water protection and getting the air from a higher and more dust free area, is getting colder (thus denser) air, which engines like.

However much benefit a snorkel provides, for the $250-500 that companies charge for them, you can certainly get something else that provides better bang for the buck performance wise...like a performance exhaust system or an after market air intake. I installed an after market intake (Cheap Pep Boys universal with the cleanable air filter-about $100) and a performance 2.5 exhaust with a free flow cat and muffler(about $250 from Scott at AA Performance Muffler) and gained a full gear going up hills. Not to mention the mileage and general performance gains. There is your $350 ARB or Air Raid snorkel $$ put to some good use...

If you really are dying for a snorkel, PVC pipe and rubber 'mission fittings from Depo or Lowes will get you there for $30 or so. If you have to have the ARB fitting for the top, ARB sells these for around $60 and any of the shops can order one for you-you can also order one directly from ARB, but good luck finding it on their site....

There is my 2 cents worth....

BLOODBANE
June 10th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Time to chime in.....I have a snorkel on my Explorer....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/BLOODBANE81230/DSC00035.jpg
I made this myself out of 3" PCV, some 90/45* fittings, a vent cap and about 1 afternoon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/BLOODBANE81230/DSC00022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/BLOODBANE81230/DSC00027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/BLOODBANE81230/DSC00025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/BLOODBANE81230/DSC00031.jpg
Total cost was around 130.00 and that included the 3 1/2" holesaw I needed to cut the fender. The reason for the snorkel came after running Jenny Creek last year. Some of the standing water was almost as deep as my 35" tires(on the road), and the factory air intake is behind the pass. headlight. I will not hydrolock that engine.....

Funrover
June 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Arsell says his seems to get dirtier with a snorkle. :confused:

My faces the rear of the rover, not foward. And mine is also made from PVC pipe and misc. other Lowes items! LOL

Chris
June 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'm not getting a better grasp on the pros and cons at all any more! :confused:

Telly
June 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
The PO that installed my snorkel claimed the intake air temp dropped around 10 degrees after the install. This is huge for a S/C rig. My only complaint is the dumb questions I get at the gas station about it.

Do it!

Chris
June 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm wavering back and forth, the credit I have is $50 short of the cost for one so I'm leaning towards it now. I just have to come up with a response to such people before I add one. ;)

Anyone have a suggested reply? :D

Patrolman
June 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
It is a snorkel. Don't lie about that. But when you drive in deep snow, you attach a mouthpiece to it so you can breathe. Right?

Chris
June 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
It is a snorkel. Don't lie about that. But when you drive in deep snow, you attach a mouthpiece to it so you can breathe. Right?

There you go! Reminds me of a friend when I lived in MN that would tell people there were oxygen masks every 100ft on city streets for people to breathe when these southern dwellers would say "Thirty degrees below zero! How can you even breathe!" :D

Patrolman
June 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
They put the same in Denver. Even more often in Leadville. Leadville is at the base of Everest practically!

BLOODBANE
June 12th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I tell people that I converted the Explorer over to steam power and that its the smokestack. Some of the more gullible ask, "Really"?......Either that or the heater went out of it and I installed a fireplace............

Patrolman
June 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM
THOSE are classic! Hadn't thought that creatively!

Could always say it is a periscope. When traffic jams occur, you can crank it upwards to see what the problem is!

Pathrat
June 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I tell people that I converted the Explorer over to steam power and that its the smokestack. Some of the more gullible ask, "Really"?......Either that or the heater went out of it and I installed a fireplace............

:clap::lol:

Beautiful. And I have to ask...it looks like the interior hose is what's used for a dryer vent. Not so, right?

I have had questions about the placement of my filter, whether it is in the best location for the intended purpose.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Cascade5282007042.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Cascade5282007043.jpg

Brody
June 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Pathrat

The placement of your filter looks fine to me or I would've said something the other evening.

Nice work on your snorkel, Bloodbane! Did you see the Peter Parks article where he said his wife started calling his snorkel that he installed the 'dorkel'? Kinda funny....

Chris
June 13th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Nice responses everyone, I'll probably add one some time and Barb will like the dorkel name. :lol:

Chris
June 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Dude, it's a 60. There is no such thing as performance. Do it for looks or don't mess with it :D

I beg to differ Dave, it performs quite well. If you meant there's no way to enhance its performance I agree. :lol:

Pathrat
June 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Pathrat

The placement of your filter looks fine to me or I would've said something the other evening.

You weren't just holdiing back on account of being polite and reticent in giving your unsolicited opinion? :D

Good, thank you. The other opinions freely given about my set-up have been more contrary. I would think it is high enough to avoid sucking in water, and if it isn't, I have other issues to worry about and maybe should find dry land.

Chris
July 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
My dorkel will be on before I head to Moab on Friday ;)

Patrolman
July 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Gonna draw attention to yourself? Did you ever figure out stated value insurance?

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Being such an extrovert and attention seeker I couldn't resist adding a dorkel! :rolleyes:

At the very least I don't have a credit at a vendor and it should help keep the air filter a bit cleaner and when I run in to deep water I'll still be scared to cross it. :lol:

I'm a bit concerned my old truck is going to be called "Princess Emily" rather than "Emily" with the dorkel and chrome wheels I put on yesterday. The 55 had the chromes when I bought it and I put a new set of tires on it too. Always wanting the best tires before heading off to Moab I swapped them yesterday. They're old skool American racing that looked pretty shabby so I sprayed them with McGuire's chrome cleaner which made them look like new.

The chrome & red paint don't exactly conjure images of an off road truck, more like the proverbial midlife crisis red sports car except with the flying brick styling. :smokin:

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yes, I am insured for 10K now through a "customized" policy. Not too much of a hassle, I'm supposed to get an appraisal and they recommended ORS to provide one which I'll get to after Moab. I have receipts to support the price so it's not a big deal.

Patrolman
July 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
Shouldn't you get an appraisal before Moab? Never know what happens in that crazy western outlaw town!

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Shouldn't you get an appraisal before Moab? Never know what happens in that crazy western outlaw town!

I've already provided sufficient documentation, the appraisal is just more of it. ;)

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Princess Emily

Funrover
July 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Looking good man!

isotel
July 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
:clap: Now i get to make fun of you for having a snorkel in Colorado :D i was giving the Rising sun 80 guys a hard time last time i was up there..

they do look cool! ;) just like Tree limb raisers and Hood Blackouts.. which i sell BTW.. http://www.crawlorado.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=22 :thunb:

Chris
July 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
First, get it straight - it's a dorkel! :D

Second, it keeps the dust out of the intake! :rolleyes:

Camo Cruiser
July 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Ive heard a snorkel is an extension of a mans short-comings

Chris
July 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Next I'll lift it higher and get some Truck nuts too. ;)