PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Claude

Dirt Claude
June 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Figured I had better take the time and give a little intro. The name is Brad and I live down in Castle Rock, or up in Castle Rock depending which way you look at it. Admin referred me over to this site after I sold him some springs for his FJ55.

I've been happily married for 12 years now and my wife understands my addiction and is usually supportive! We've got 3 youngs kids and we all love camping and hitting the trails, which brings me to my rig.

My previous rig was an 85' 4Runner which I picked up in stock form. It was a sad little truck at first, but after a little TLC and $$, I got it to where I wanted. I pretty much did everything on it myself, 4" lift, 33"s, detriot in the rear, bodywork, homemade bumpers, softtop. Everything was fine and dandy until the kids starting getting a little bigger. We quickly out grew the truck and needed something bigger. Luckily I was able to find a buyer without even trying and the truck was sold (unfortunatley, it was totaled 2 weeks after I sold it, but that's another story). Which bring us to my current truck.

I picked up my 84' Landcruiser about a year and a half ago for great deal. However, like the previous truck it needed some work. As if I don't already have enough things going on in my life, I somehow manage to pick-up these vehicles that need a ton of work. Of course that is half the fun, building up a rig the way you like it. Anyways, the Cruiser was stock and I had big plans for it.

First of, I got all the mechanicals working and upgraded some in the process (major tune-up including 30+ ft. of spaghetti vacuum lines, new clutch, rear main seal, new oil pan, new power steering pump, rebuilt both axles, upgraded to 4:11 gears, and threw an Aussie locker in the rear). Now that it was pretty reliable, I moved on to the fun stuff (3.5 Old Man Emu lift, 33" BFG Muds, cut out and replaced rust, de-chromed most of the truck, bodywork, built a rear bumper with swing arm, and fabbed in some front seats out of a Mazda Protege. So for now, all thats left is to build the front bumper and finish my homemade roof rack (pictures to follow soon!).

So, the truck hasn't seen much trail time since I've been working on it alot, but I planning on changing that very soon. Thanks for reading my rant, and I can't wait to see everyone on the trails! :thunb:

Chris
June 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Nice intro Brad!

I just have to add one thing to your comments about your FJ60. It's probably the cleanest I've seen. Very nice, makes me want to spend some time on the body of my own.

:cheers:

Dirt Claude
June 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks Chris, give it some time and I'm sure I'll beat it up pretty good.

virden
June 5th, 2008, 10:19 PM
welcome to the site and nice rigs

Brody
June 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome and nice rigs! A lot of work went into getting the 60 looking that good. Looking forward to seeing you on the trails!

Uh, Chris...what body were you talking about that needs work? Yours, the truck, or both??

Chris
June 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Uh, Chris...what body were you talking about that needs work? Yours, the truck, or both??

:tsk: One is repairable, the other not so much Pete.