PDA

View Full Version : Kingston Peak

Chris
October 17th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Seen elsewhere

Per the Ranger:

“Pass this on to the 4x4 world. Gates are planned to close asap this morning. Assuming no one is currently behind the gates…

The normally scheduled closure date(regardless of conditions) is Oct. 30th.

If we get significant melt off and conditions improve such that the stuck vehicles could get out, we can authorize individuals to drive in...Owners would need to contact me to schedule.”

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=25993

jayson44
October 17th, 2017, 01:52 PM
yeah, big snows up there and currently 3 vehicles stuck up above 12k feet. CO Rescue & Recovery tried twice to get them out. just too much snow.

J.

Chris
October 17th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Yep, I’ve read about those too. Bad news to have to leave a truck stuck up there. I haven’t followed real close but last I read was they cancelled an attempt because they couldn’t get enough volunteers willing to try to shovel them out in the cold & snow that’s there.

jayson44
October 17th, 2017, 04:16 PM
my buddy Jason was on the first attempt. he has a JKU Rubi on 40s and even with him chained up, everyone was getting stuck. it was a 20 hour day and they didn't even get 1 of the trucks out. in fact, they got one of the recovery Jeeps stuck and had to go back the next day for it.

the 2nd day attempt was another 20+ day and all they managed to get out was the one recovery Jeep that had gotten stuck the day before and another XJ that had gotten stuck over night after the first attempt team left, haha.

kinda nuts.

J.

Chris
October 17th, 2017, 04:50 PM
It’ll be a Spring recovery much like the Land Cruiser on Red Cone ended up becoming. Most folks never think it can happen to them but Mother Nature wins far more often than loses.

PhillipG65
October 17th, 2017, 07:28 PM
So could this mean that Barbour Forks is closed as well ??

Getaklu
October 17th, 2017, 07:36 PM
BF is much lower in altitude and should be open.

PhillipG65
October 17th, 2017, 07:44 PM
BF is much lower in altitude and should be open.

AWESOME !!!!!
What ya up to friday afternoon??
Would you be able to join up with my neighbor and I

Getaklu
October 17th, 2017, 08:12 PM
I have only run that once, during the fall cleanup run. Unfortunately I try not to do do Friday afternoon traffic, possibly Friday morning.

PhillipG65
October 17th, 2017, 09:50 PM
I have only run that once, during the fall cleanup run. Unfortunately I try not to do do Friday afternoon traffic, possibly Friday morning.

That would be very cool but, I believe Frank gets home about 11am so I thought noon at the earliest we'd be ready to roll out of Denver.
Keep missin ya on them runs.....hopefully we can meet up on a trail before too much snow !!!