PDA

View Full Version : Heated Washer Fluid

Patrolman
September 6th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I know this isn't specifically 4x4, and some people might scoff at it, but I sure can see a purpose for it!

https://www.amazon.com/AlphaTherm-AT-38OD-Windshield-Washer-Heater/dp/B0034GW1WW

Tom
September 6th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Sounds nice, but I can see a bunch of thermo cracked windshields in the winter months.

newracer
September 6th, 2016, 04:49 PM
It is claimed that not enough fluid is sprayed fast enough to cause thermal cracking.

Spieg
September 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Nice idea, although it seems expensive for a stripped down Mr. Coffee. I've seen people accomplish something similar by routing the fluid through a silicon hose that was wrapped around the exhaust pipe.

dieseldoc
September 6th, 2016, 05:39 PM
If you washer fluid is frozen it is to low on the alcohol mix.
Easy fix add some rubbing alcohol.

Patrolman
September 6th, 2016, 07:07 PM
I think the intent is to try to clear ice and stuff off the windshield rather than keeping the fluid from freezing. I know there are times that my windshield freezes over and putting washer fluid on it just makes it streak and freeze badly. This might be a helpful feature. As others pointed out, no way I am paying the cost though.

sdswingr
September 6th, 2016, 08:53 PM
or...just use the de-icing washer fluid...

Patrolman
September 6th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that is good stuff too. Looks like someone peed all over your window though. :)

ExplorerTom
September 6th, 2016, 09:21 PM
I have one installed in my Expedition.

You use more fluid because you have to flush out the fluid in the hose that isn't heated. But it does work very well. If you've ever driven in weather where your defroster can't keep up, the washer fluid you spray doesn't do anything but add to the ice and the wiper blades can't remove the building ice, then you'll be happy you have this. For the remaining 364.5 days of the year here in CO, you probably don't need it.

Tom
September 6th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Yeah, that is good stuff too. Looks like someone peed all over your window though. :)Depends on the brand. I get some cheap stuff from Target. Its red. Looks like blood on the windshield. JK pinkish.

sdswingr
September 7th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I use the orange stuff...worked great on those -40 degree days in Vermont.

Chris
September 7th, 2016, 02:09 PM
If it's iced up I use the edge of a credit card. :D

Jim
September 7th, 2016, 05:52 PM
I think I'd buy another 5' feet of windshield washer fluid hose and re-route and wrap it around a heater hose to heat the fluid. And then maybe use some muffler wrap to wrap around the two to "seal in the freshness".

Patrolman
September 7th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Bad part about the design is that it is "always on" - even in Summer. Seems silly. Some people have wired it up so they can turn it on/off when needed.

ExplorerTom
September 7th, 2016, 07:29 PM
If it's iced up I use the edge of a credit card. :D
On I-70 in the middle of an ice storm, my arm got cold reaching out the window amd scraping the ice as it builds up.

ExplorerTom
September 7th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Bad part about the design is that it is "always on" - even in Summer.

they claim even in the summer heated fluid works to cut bug grease better. I tend to always wash my dishes with hot water, regardless of the weather.

Jim
September 7th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Hmmm - gets rid of bugs faster - now I have an interest in this...

Patrolman
September 8th, 2016, 07:59 AM
yeah, but if I use the sprayer once a week in the Summer, having it heated all the time seems silly. Having a switch to turn it off sounds like a good idea. Then the warmer element hopefully will last longer.

newracer
September 8th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I think it's like an instant hot, heats the water as it goes through the pump.

Nope I am wrong, it keep the water hot all the time.