PDA

View Full Version : Lost art

dieseldoc
August 23rd, 2016, 06:00 PM
And now for something most schools wont ever teach you!
Gas welding

as we are a group with many a fabricator be it at home or for work we have a great number of welders in our little slice of the world.
The question is how many can weld this way, and who wants to learn?

this is a great way to deal wtih small welds, and repair steel lins with little issue.

in my field, heavy equipment mechanic, we repair hydrolic lines and some fitting this way.
by no means on hydro with its up to 9k psi would we leave it for long but this is a quality repair that can get you where you need to go
And we use it for small projects with thin materials.

for anyone who would be interested to learn please PM me and we can set up a time to get together and do some metal burning:smokin:

Pics

Chris
August 23rd, 2016, 07:04 PM
I was taught to gas weld when I went to aviation tech school back in '68 - '70. I suspect I could still run a decent bead.

The StRanger
August 23rd, 2016, 07:14 PM
Iv heard if you can tig. You can gas. I did some gas back in the 70s. It's a heat and fill t ype welding..

dscowell
August 23rd, 2016, 07:58 PM
Well dang too bad i'm in Montana!

dieseldoc
August 23rd, 2016, 09:05 PM
Yup much like TIG just with gas.
Dscowell... When you are here you are welcome to come by the shop, you should anyway as we run some different wire than what you learned in class...dual shield wire that is higher the 70k tinsel, more like the 82k tinsel

As for the other guys, you learned this in the late 60's and early,70's, thus the lost art!
It is not being tought anymore and so many folks depend upon electricity welding now.
Even out in the middle of no where if you have a ready welder you are golden.
But what if all you have is a oxy torch and some mechanics wire....

peglegfury
August 23rd, 2016, 09:47 PM
I've been dying to get back to learning. Unfortunately work and family always got in the way of taking a class now. I'm eventually going to grab an el cheapo welder so I'm free to practice in the garage.

Hypoid
August 23rd, 2016, 09:53 PM
Throw in some brazing, and I might come watch! :)

The StRanger
August 23rd, 2016, 10:14 PM
Mechanics wire.. I learned with coat hanger ...

newracer
August 23rd, 2016, 11:58 PM
I learned it a little in middle school in the early 80's.

96EXXLTinCO
August 24th, 2016, 02:09 AM
I'm eventually going to grab an el cheapo welder so I'm free to practice in the garage.

That's how I started, (wasn't the cheapest welder, it's a Lincoln afterall, but still have it) fast forward about 4 yrs and I was a welding shop foreman. I was lucky enough to have a hell of a welder take me under his wing and teach me some things. I got the opportunity to make some really cool stuff.

dieseldoc
August 24th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Coat hanger is what most use.
But they are not good,quality metal, s we stay away from them, not that we don't have a huge pile of them.

We use mechanics or #9 wire. Clean metal leaves a better weld.
Brazing is another one most don't know
As well as cast Iron, I,should be doing this one this weekend!

Java
August 24th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Great offer! :thumb: Brad and I took a class at Club Workshop before it closed on MIG basics and it's paid for itself 10x over. I only have a HF 90amp 110 welder and it's a great little machine within it's limits. Prep is everything. It's great for tacking, so for my offroad trailer I tacked it all together and brought in a bigger gun to finish it. I built my tube doors with it, recently put new mounting feet on a railing in my house, made light brackets, fixed a skidplate, modified a tripod, made a pipe tool for driving a seal, anything that is 3/16" or smaller (and won't kill me if it fails) it can handle. I want a better welder but it makes no $$ sense for me to get one.

TJS86TOY
September 28th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Learned how to gas weld in Warren Tech many.........many years ago. Thats a pretty bead for gas!

dieseldoc
September 28th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks TJ

Did some cast Iron a few weeks ago....FYI we have the right rod for it so all the 14 bolt users of you are looking to shave it....let me know.

FINOCJ
September 28th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Great offer! :thumb: Brad and I took a class at Club Workshop before it closed on MIG basics and it's paid for itself 10x over. I only have a HF 90amp 110 welder and it's a great little machine within it's limits. Prep is everything. It's great for tacking, so for my offroad trailer I tacked it all together and brought in a bigger gun to finish it. I built my tube doors with it, recently put new mounting feet on a railing in my house, made light brackets, fixed a skidplate, modified a tripod, made a pipe tool for driving a seal, anything that is 3/16" or smaller (and won't kill me if it fails) it can handle. I want a better welder but it makes no $$ sense for me to get one.

that is pretty much my exact story - i got a little 110V Lincoln MIG welder that will take bottle as well as flux core after that course and use it for little things around the house and anything not too life dependent on my jeep. My wife went with me to the club workshop class and she occasionally finds a use for it as well - even if its just decorative around the yard.

I'd be interested in learning some other methods of welding - whether gas or stick. As TIG is pretty specialized, at least in terms of the machine, I think I can do what I need with low voltage, small wire MIG.

Java
September 29th, 2016, 04:17 PM
It's too bad Club Workshop closed, I was hoping to take the second class and join up to use the shops. I can spend a lot of money on a machine but what I really need is just more experience with what I already have. When I outgrow it I'll step up. I've tacked things together and paid to have them finished and I'm really paying for the skill set, not the machine.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?17239-Club-Workshop

did you make these? I still use the bigger one as a pen holder on my desk. :)

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28711&stc=1&d=1342302637

96EXXLTinCO
September 29th, 2016, 11:01 PM
I can spend a lot of money on a machine but what I really need is just more experience with what I already have.

You nailed it. When I first got my little 110v I snatched up any and and all metal I could get my hands on and made random stuff. Got to where I could put down a good looking bead, and then my Dad whose a lifelong welder came out from Nebraska to bring me a 2ND motor for the racecar i was building and to help me install the cage kit i got. Then an old time welder got ahold of me (his welding rig was a late 60's ford dually with a.....can't remember the brand of welder on it, but he called it herc) and that's when things really came together. Hood time hood time hood time!!! I've always hated grinding so I went through roll after roll of wire till I got a good looking bead (wire was half the price back then, irks me everytime I need more) and before you knew it, as long as it wasn't a joint that had to be welded for decorative purposes, there was no need to clean up my weld. Watch lots of youtube videos and try the different techniques to find what works for you.

As for the little 110v not able to do anything too big, I replaced a tooth on a skids teen bucket with mine, stacking up about 6 passes all last I knew it was still in there as of about 6 years ago, and I welded it on about 15 yrs ago. I welded the hooks to the frame on the front of Leila's Explorer, they've been winches on at a side angle, she's clobbered em on rocks and you'd never know it. 3 passes on those.

KFM1961
October 9th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Gas welding still has many applications. I first learned how to weld with gas, including welding aluminum with gas. (Back when I went to A&P school). Welding is a great skill to learn but takes continuous practice with different types of metals to maintain proficiency.

What a great skill to share with others !

Chris
October 9th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Gas welding still has many applications. I first learned how to weld with gas, including welding aluminum with gas. (Back when I went to A&P school).

Same here, A&P finished in 1970.

Kurtis
October 9th, 2017, 10:23 PM
I would be interested in learning looks pretty cool

JandDGreens
October 10th, 2017, 04:13 AM
Back in the 70s’ when I was in high school, our school system offered tech classes at the local Tech Center (3 hours a day). I spent the first two years in the welding classes and the third year in the auto body & paint class. The welding classes were a pre requisite to the A & B courses. As you were able to pass certification in arc and gas welding, you would be able to move into the Mig and Tig courses. (had a friend that stayed with the welding courses and eventually went to work in the air craft industry) It usually took two years to get certified in arc and gas. My interests were in painting cars so that is where I headed. In A & B they taught us how to braze body panels for repairs. In those days they used asbestos putty to prevent warping the body panels. I paid for an additional year in the A & B class.
Thirty years later I asked my neighbor to help me build a drop gate for my utility trailer. After watching him weld with his Mig machine. I kept a eye out on C.L. for a mig set-up. Picked one up and the rest is history.

I would love to pick up a Tig capable machine and learn the art of Tig!!!

dieseldoc
October 10th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Dave if you can has well you can Tig weld.
All that's different is a peddel to run the power.

JandDGreens
October 11th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Yeah that's what my neighbors said. and when I watch the Eastwood guys teaching videos lot of what they stress is the metal prep.
I wouldn't do enough Tig work to justify buying one. Just would like to see if I could do it.

dieseldoc
October 11th, 2017, 06:54 PM
That all depends on the machine you buy.
Our welding supplier has a nice unit made in Australia
It's MIG/TIG and stick in one unit comes with all the torches and leads for 1200 buck 190 amp unit runs 220/110 light weight as well.