PDA

View Full Version : Bears

Brian
June 29th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Anyone have a run in with a bear while out wheeling? I know generally bears will retreat when they hear ya coming so maybe there's no cause for concern, but they also seem to lose their fear after repeated contact with people and can become a little more bold. In particular I was thinking of a scenario after a breakdown and needing to walk out to get help.

94ToyBear
June 29th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Interesting topic. The only bear encounter I've ever had well I was camping and stupidly left out all our food and supplies about five feet from our tent the bear ate about 80% of our food day 2 of a 5 day camp trip we kept quiet in our tent for about an hour well that darn bear pigged out hahaha

Eventually he moved on to the next camp at 8 some of their trash and had a couple Mountain Dews and Pepsi's

The way that they're tossed around our food storage and coolers I would not want to encounter one on foot.

Brucker
June 29th, 2016, 05:51 PM
I have had a few encounters throughout my life. But never while wheeling in CO. I do carry a side arm with me while in the back country for many reasons.

Spieg
June 29th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Never had an encounter while wheeling (backpacking however... but that's another story). In general I always try to follow common sense rules about food/trash handling while in the back country. Without the temptation of an easy meal, it's unlikely you would ever have an incident with a bear in Colo.
Just in case, I also carry a sidearm.

If you are lucky enough to even see a bear, most important to remember...
1) Never run
2) Don't feed the bear
3) Be especially respectful of mama bear with cub(s).

Chris
June 29th, 2016, 06:54 PM
If you are lucky enough to even see a bear, most important to remember...
1) Never run
2) Don't feed the bear
3) Be especially respectful of mama bear with cub(s).

4) Make yourself look as big as possible - hands over head
5) Don't make eye contact
6) Make lots of noise

Brad
June 30th, 2016, 05:33 AM
I carry bear bells in my hike out bag just for this reason.

Java
June 30th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I carry bear spray and have a small whistle attached to my backpack. Even if I'm armed I'd probably go to the spray first, I don't want to shoot anything if I don't have to. I've encountered bears three times, each time they ran away.

jayson44
June 30th, 2016, 09:49 AM
we had bears in our yard a few years ago, and they were always skiddish. as soon as I would open the front door to yell, they were on the run. the best advice is to make lots of noise & don't run away. black bears are kinda lazy when it comes to food, so unless it's a mama with her cubs, you'll likely never have to do more than yell.

side note: if you take the Colorado hunting safety course, they actually recommend fighting back if you're attacked by a black bear. they're small enough and lazy enough that if you fight back they will give up. the whole "playing dead" thing doesn't really do much for black bears.

J.

96EXXLTinCO
July 3rd, 2016, 12:28 PM
Only one I've ever seen in Colorado was up a tree in Estes. A cop on a all terrain segway (yes all-terrain, it had off-road tires *eyeroll*) was hanging out at the base of the tree to keep people at bay. Wish I could've gotten a pic of it.

dieseldoc
July 3rd, 2016, 04:30 PM
Only hear encounter I,have ever had was hitting a 500#sr on I25 just north of walsenburg with a Ford excursion at 70 mph.
Split that poor hear from shoulder to tail and kicked off the freeway.
The Ford had a dent in the bumper that's it!

Chris
July 3rd, 2016, 07:57 PM
How about dealing with them this way?

Spieg
July 3rd, 2016, 08:38 PM
What? No picnic basket?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/15/3d/26/153d2672e2bd2ae00eac948d119a8800.jpg

Hypoid
July 4th, 2016, 07:49 AM
How about dealing with them this way?
Yes, lets embrace the concept of the food chain, and our place in that chain...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/officials-grizzly-charged-people-attacks-40307436

Tom
July 4th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Bears? Who give an **** about bears. Now Moose scare me. I spent months in the back county leading backpacking and climbing trips when I was younger. Only issue I've ever had with a bear was at a campground when the kids left the car door open overnight. Don't ask how many times a moose has scared the **** out of me.