PDA

View Full Version : Is this trail open?

Funrover
April 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hidden Valley, it's low enough that I think it should be clear, any ideas?

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=201

Brody
April 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Should be Aaron as well as Dakan Mountain Road. I have usually accessed Dakan Mountain Road from this trail, though I just thought that it was a part of Dakan Mtn.When we met to do Metberry, most of the west Denver folks drove right past the entrance for this. The last time we did Dakan, we came in farther south and exited this way. It also hooks up with a fun loop around Jackson Creek. Anyway, we didn't see any snow except some patches on the north side. Elevation is between 7k and 9k I think.

solid rock
April 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
he,he, ;-)
let us know how deep the ruts are.
thats where i rolled my 60.

Brody
April 28th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Hey Jim

I almost mentioned that, too. LaDawn and I were on that a couple of years ago by ourselves. I didn't like the ruts (we were going the hard way) or the off camber sections of road that avoided them. It looked like you could roll with very little effort. I started to back back up and didn't like that either. So, rather than do the off camber section, we straddled the ruts and ground out of the trench at the end. Glad we did after seeing your pictures. Repost them if you get a chance...

How is it going? And how is your job working out? I just started another job working for someone else again, so I am in about the same position. We needed that weekly income! At least you knew some of the folks where you started work. I am a total newbie, but am going for the first supervisory position that opens up. At least the work is high end-we are working on a 10k sf log home in Fairplay, probably an easy $7-8 million dollar home. Some people obviously make $$...

Funrover
April 28th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Would anyone be up for this run?

Jamie
April 28th, 2008, 05:31 PM
This doesn't smell like wheeling:rolleyes:

SCRubicon
April 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Do you smell lel lel lel what the rocks are cookin'? (sorry, I just had to - little WWE gimmick infringement there)

Brody
April 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Oh Jamie....not you , too???

No, I guess that this trail, alas, isn't 'real wheeling' either. Maybe we should all go down and do 21 Road or Indy, break our rigs to the tune of at least $2k and many weeks of down time and say we had fun....or just run Carnage BV and do and say the same thing...Of course we would all have to bring the wife and kids as they all would appreciate a good rollover or two, the fact that $2k went out the window in the blink of an eye...not to mention the long walk out....

Make for a good story a couple of years down the road, much like some of my rock/ice climbing epics.....

Funrover
April 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
This doesn't smell like wheeling:rolleyes:

LMAO!! Nice touch with the rolling eyes..LOL:lol:

Funrover
April 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
So when is a good time to hit this up?

Jamie
April 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I was just joshing. But I am going to use that phrase as often as possible!!:lol:

I think the Rock is cool though.

Any wheeling is good wheeling.:thunb:

I'm down anytime Aaron. You know my schedule.

sonofbr
April 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Any wheeling is good wheeling.:thunb:

I agree.
As long as we get to breath fresh air in a free country. :clap:

Funrover
April 30th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Let me see what weekend I move officially and I will set it up then!

Brody
May 1st, 2008, 05:55 AM
I agree: any wheeling is good wheeling. Some wheeling is better for the family stuff, some isn't. It is just nice to be outside doing something besides work in the city. Same goes for climbing. I am just about as happy doing an easy climb in a beautiful environment as I am doing a hard climb that takes everything I have to do. A lot depends on the folks that you do it with. It is absolutely no fun doing a climb or wheeling trip with other folks where all you hear is "it's too easy" "where is the challenge', etc. Some people don't grasp the bigger picture and, I think, miss out on a lot...

That said, what happened to Mr. "anyone up for some real wheeling"? I noticed that his posts have vanished. Maybe we were all too hard on the lad...Shame on us....

DETN8R
May 1st, 2008, 05:57 AM
That says alot coming from a man with the rig you have.

Brody
May 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks Fred.

I built my rig to do some of the hardest trails around, so it is overkill on a lot of trails. When finances allow and it isn't my DD, then I will start doing stuff like 21 Road and Indy, etc, but the budget at the moment doesn't allow for any major breakage. Bottom line, LaDawn and I just like to get outside and do some wheeling, especially with some of the great people we have met through Front Range (and a big thanks to Chris for that!). It doesn't matter how hard the trail is, though challenge is nice, too. Taking a DD or a non built up rig on these trails is just asking for trouble and epics usually will visit you without you have to seek them out...

Ditto with the rock climbing. If the people you are with are having fun and you are having fun, that's what it is all about anyway. When I go out to do a hard climb, it is usually with people that are as good or better (read younger with less injuries) than I am and we are pushing our limits. We don't ask beginners or less experienced climbers out on these trips a they be too far over their limits and have no fun at all. Early on in my climbing career, after having been caught in full on storms and doing some very scary wet rock and night climbing, we decided that we would learn to climb in the dark and also on wet rocks in the rain. Not much fun, you bet, but now when we get stormed on or caught in the dark, it isn't anywhere near as spooky. Still not much fun, though....