PDA

View Full Version : Red Elephant run, info needed

78bj40
October 29th, 2015, 12:18 PM
We are planing to run Red Elephant this weekend 11-1, I need to get some info. Has anyone been up there in the last few days? how are the trails? any snow? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

xaza
October 29th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Red Elephant is just across the highway from Spring Creek. From about 8000 ft elevation up was snow and I believe they have gotten more since then. Time of year to make sure you are prepared with a bug-out bag just in case. If you have chains you should take them.

ExplorerTom
October 29th, 2015, 12:55 PM
If Red Elephant proves too tough, you can always try Bill Moore. Goes to the same place but is less difficult.

78bj40
October 29th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Red Elephant is just across the highway from Spring Creek. From about 8000 ft elevation up was snow and I believe they have gotten more since then. Time of year to make sure you are prepared with a bug-out bag just in case. If you have chains you should take them.

That's what I was afraid of, I guess this is the end of wheeling for this year in that area. Thanks for the info.

78bj40
October 29th, 2015, 01:08 PM
If Red Elephant proves too tough, you can always try Bill Moore. Goes to the same place but is less difficult.

We ran Bill Moore a couple of month ago, we were looking for a new excitement. I imagine that even Bill Moore has quite bit of snow by now, we might just pan something further south.
Thanks

FINOCJ
October 29th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Time for some low elevation wheeling...or in my case lots of time trying to install the secondary gas tank.

78bj40
October 29th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Time for some low elevation wheeling...or in my case lots of time trying to install the secondary gas tank.
Lower elevation it is, the run to Red Elephant was canceled and instead we going to run China Wall. Posted on the calendar, hope you can make it

dieseldoc
October 30th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Our Idaho springs job has seen snow multiple times this week.
Pickle has snow at the medow below the cabin.

78bj40
October 30th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Our Idaho springs job has seen snow multiple times this week.
Pickle has snow at the medow below the cabin.

Thanks for the info, winchfest is fun if you only have a mile of trail to run:)

ExplorerTom
October 30th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Just because there's snow doesn't mean there's a lot of snow.

Jim
October 30th, 2015, 11:25 AM
translation: We think _YOU_ should go and tell us how terribly deep the snow is! (or what wimps we are because it was only an inch at the most and it was a fantastic day on the mountain)

:D

moose
October 30th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Just because there's snow doesn't mean there's a lot of snow.

True. I'm just playing it safe. Talked to a ranger yesterday, said there was a couple inches already and it was raining as he spoke. Im not familiar with that area and have read there is a spot that's risky when its just wet/muddy. Having not run it, I'd rather wait until I feel comfortable. Call me a puss if you want, but I see Murphy enough as it is.

Jim
October 30th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Call me a puss if you want

While such a comment might come in jest, I'd firmly believe nobody here would say such with sincerity.

This time of year, threads such as this are common - and for good reason.

I went looking for China Wall open/close status last evening but was unable to find anything.

Anyone know current status for China Wall?

moose
October 30th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I talked with two different rangers about China Wall. One yesterday said it was open. Called again today when the mud bog came into question. Road 212 and 204 are open. Couldnt tell me which one, but one of the two has recently been graded with a dozer and the seriousness of the mud wasn't brought up by the ranger, so I asked. It was a known trouble spot earlier, but at the moment the exact condition wasn't known. I was simply told to use my best judgment.

78bj40
October 30th, 2015, 12:43 PM
translation: We think _YOU_ should go and tell us how terribly deep the snow is! (or what wimps we are because it was only an inch at the most and it was a fantastic day on the mountain)

:D

Jim

Believe me if it would be up to me only I would go, I just don't want to get anybody in trouble:D

moose
October 30th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks for being a good sport about it, Louis

ExplorerTom
October 30th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I'm gonna say China Wall is open based on this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433665

You could contact coloradofourwheelers.org for more specifics.

78bj40
October 30th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Thanks for being a good sport about it, Louis

:thumb:

dieseldoc
October 30th, 2015, 05:45 PM
China wall bladed with a dozer:eek:
Hope they just worked the mud pit that got tore up early this year.

Chris
October 30th, 2015, 08:20 PM
It's been done before, it doesn't take too long to get it back the way it was before being dozed.

moose
October 30th, 2015, 09:10 PM
China wall bladed with a dozer:eek:
Hope they just worked the mud pit that got tore up early this year.

The ranger told me they dont have the resources to fix the mud

dieseldoc
October 31st, 2015, 10:32 AM
Well you best get us all a ton of pics to see how the trail is fairing

moose
October 31st, 2015, 05:56 PM
Already planned on it :thumb:

78bj40
November 4th, 2015, 09:39 AM
China wall run 11-1-15 info

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?24005-China-Wall-11-1-15