PDA

View Full Version : Multimeter Basics

Java
September 19th, 2015, 06:32 AM
I carry one of these but admittedly do not know much about it, so I'm trying to learn. I've been browsing how-to videos, and these two seem pretty simple and on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xETtylidWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU

xaza
September 19th, 2015, 07:08 AM
The second video is a bit better IMO. It points out that you need to remove a device from the circuit in order to check ohms (such as sensors or motors) and that applying direct voltage to an older style meter set to check amps will blow the internal fuse (can be replaced). When dived into deeper multi meters can do a lot, I use mine daily. As much electrical as runs through many vehicles it is a good thing to understand, who wants to be stranded on a trail because of a blown fuse or broken wire...

94ToyBear
September 19th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Good thread, I defiantly need to learn my self.

Bob
September 19th, 2015, 12:58 PM
A caution if you use the cheap multimeters like the almost free Harbor Freight ones:

Using them on mains voltage (120V or more) can be unsafe because they usually don't have the proper internal construction and safety agency ratings to avoid a shock or fire under all circumstances. Especially, they usually aren't well protected if you put the switch in the wrong position. For example, Ohms or Amps when trying to measure volts.

That said, I have several of those meters but use them for low voltage car duty. They are great to have in the toolbox to sort out electrical problems.

DETN8R
September 25th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Nothing beats a good Fluke meter.

dieseldoc
September 25th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Nothing beats a good Fluke meter.

Um yes there is one.....power prob 4
You can test all day.....but you hqve to hqve a battery and jumpers to power something and test it.
My power prob 4 can power the u it, and test it at the same time. And it can test/run fuel injectors.

Lets see you fluck do that

jayson44
September 25th, 2015, 03:23 PM
NO BEEPS FOR YOU!

J.

dieseldoc
September 25th, 2015, 03:54 PM
No it does tones as well.

DETN8R
September 29th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I'm not familiar with Fluke's extensive catalog of electronic test equipment. I'm sure they have something similar.

dieseldoc
September 29th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Not sure if fluk has built anything for testing injectors
But the units are close

Java
October 4th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I have a cheap Powerbuilt one I bought at Autozone when I had an electrical issue a while back on another rig, I just got what they had and I've realized that it's a very limited version. Can anyone recommend one? It would be just for my Jeep, not the house or anything else.

Hypoid
October 5th, 2015, 01:35 PM
What functions does your current multi-meter have? What functions are you looking for in a multi-meter that it does not?

Java
October 6th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Good questions. So I went through a couple of videos about them and browsed Amazon and as it turns out what I have is just fine for now since I barely understand it anyway. They do so much that I'll never encounter that it seems even the simplest of them would be good enough if I just learn how to use it. :thumb:

Bob
October 6th, 2015, 11:59 AM
For the usual vehicle problems, even the almost free little Harbor Freight multimeters will work adequately. Issues: They are slow to respond though so you need to allow a second or two especially when checking continuity or resistance. They have no fusing on the high current range so don't even think about measuring much current.

Java
October 8th, 2015, 08:05 AM
I like your signature, Bob! :thumb: