PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Closes BlackBear Pass

mattzj98
August 2nd, 2015, 06:51 PM
from Expedition Portal..

Black Bear Pass is one of the most scenic and challenging trails in all of southwestern Colorado, and by its very nature draws thousands of visitors every season. Travelers come from around the world to ply its switchbacks overhanging the picturesque town of Telluride in everything from rented Jeeps to Hummers. As is the case nearly every year, some of those vehicles never complete the trail in one piece. Despite signs signaling the route’s inherent dangers, accidents are rife.

This weekend included one more incident as a couple from Florida rolled their vehicle causing a dispatch of rescue resources and the closure of the road for several hours. The couple escaped with non-life-threatening injuries, but this latest event may have been the straw to break the camel’s back. San Miguel County Sheriff Bill Masters is calling for a permanent closure of Black Bear Pass to all motorized vehicles.

“At this time of year we are seeing hundreds of vehicles traveling on this extremely hazardous terrain. It’s not safe, and it’s not safe for our community when all of our resources are tied up for an incident like this.” – Sheriff Masters.
Reports say the couple from Florida arrived at the trail’s famous “steps,” and decided to turn around. While navigating around a rock in the trail, the driver said the embankment gave way and the vehicle slid off the road before rolling several times, coming to rest on its roof. More than twenty responders from the local Search and Rescue team as well as EMS, Fire and Sheriff Deputies were on the scene to conduct the 90-minute extraction of the injured parties. Lined up behind the scene were more than 100 vehicles.

This call to close the pass comes on the heels of Sheriff Masters recent comments about other stresses placed on the community and it’s limited resources. In May he spoke out against increased abuses to local camping areas and the massive amounts of trash collecting in the pristine outlying areas around the town. With visitations to the area increasing with each year, something will have to give.

Patrolman
August 2nd, 2015, 07:05 PM
These same tourists are going into town and spending money, paying taxes, etc. Without Black Bear Pass, quite honestly I have absolutely no reason to visit Telluride. It would be a shame to close. It certainly is the most spectacular pass in terms of scenery.

Chris
August 2nd, 2015, 07:19 PM
the driver said the embankment gave way and the vehicle slid off the road

"The driver said..." pretty much eliminates driver error, right? Maybe they should shut down I70 since there are so many accidents, injuries and deaths there. :mad:

Chris
August 2nd, 2015, 07:27 PM
Reports say the couple from Florida arrived at the trail’s famous “steps,” and decided to turn around.

Trying to place where this happened. Sounds like they were on the one-way section.

mattzj98
August 2nd, 2015, 07:32 PM
hmm i edited my post's title, looks like it didnt take

Chris
August 2nd, 2015, 07:34 PM
hmm i edited my post's title, looks like it didnt take

Only Jim can change titles.

Java
August 2nd, 2015, 07:35 PM
I moved to Colorado after a vacation to Telluride in the late 90s, and they were advertising the area so heavily that I saw ads in the Miami New Times (same as Westword) for real estate and vacation stuff here, includng Jeep rentals in Telluride with BBP on the list of possibilities. So now they have the tourism they asked for...

Chris
August 2nd, 2015, 07:40 PM
They also have residents like Oprah so they don't need 4x4er's chicken feed.

Tom
August 2nd, 2015, 08:54 PM
Damn and here we sit in Ouray planning on running Black Bear tomorrow.

Tom
August 2nd, 2015, 08:58 PM
On re reading its not closed yet I take it.

MultiScuf
August 2nd, 2015, 09:10 PM
Its not closed they wanna close it

dscowell
August 2nd, 2015, 09:38 PM
Maybe they should have a sign at the beginning saying "If you have no idea what you are doing and you most likely don't, turn around and spare everyone the trouble you are most likely about to cause :)"

Really I am not as upset about the pass trying to be closed as people disrespecting the campsites and the mountains. People need to know if you go and treat stuff like it's expendable and someone else is getting paid to clean up or take care of the mountains and nature it's going to be ruined for all of us. I could go on a long tangent about how strongly I feel about this subject but I'll spare all of you.

One solution is they could not allow rentals on the pass and have some ranger at the beginning check to see if it's a rental or not. This way people touring the area can't go run the trail cause more times then not they will have little to no experience off roading and this trail isn't a good one for a first or atleast from what I have seen. While this is a impractical in reality and probably wouldn't work, but for people who drive their own rigs up there I'd believe they are more knowledgeable in what they are doing but they also may not. It's just an idea, it wouldn't work but atleast it wouldn't completely close the trail.

66sporttop
August 2nd, 2015, 10:24 PM
I agree just last week i was up in estes park running pole hill and a nice jeep was coming out. I stopped them and asked how the trail was and they said they turned around at the bottom of the first hill. Come to find out they were from out of state in a rented jeep (that would have had no problems handling this trail)

Robert B
August 3rd, 2015, 02:02 AM
just put up large signs saying no one will come help you . you are on your own have fun . let natural selection have some power again

JandDGreens
August 31st, 2015, 08:29 PM
One solution is they could not allow rentals on the pass and have some ranger at the beginning check to see if it's a rental or not. This way people touring the area can't go run the trail cause more times then not they will have little to no experience off roading and this trail isn't a good one for a first or atleast from what I have seen. While this is a impractical in reality and probably wouldn't work, but for people who drive their own rigs up there I'd believe they are more knowledgeable in what they are doing but they also may not. It's just an idea, it wouldn't work but atleast it wouldn't completely close the trail.Those Jeep rentals down in the area state in their agreement several trails are off limits to rental jeeps, but people disregard it.

dieseldoc
March 17th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Time to post signs like on Holly Cross
X point this is the cost to you for extraction.
At the next point and so on and so on.
And then actually collect it!

Back county extraction is not covered by auto insurance and should not be on the tax payers.

Little known fact: get your fishing license, it has a back country insurance with it.
Should you need search and rescue operations it covers it!
At least in Colorado it does.

mattzj98
March 17th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Same goes to OHV stickers

Mr6dwg
March 18th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I have done that road several times and never thought I was in over my head. I pay attention just like I do on any road, and I always get down in one piece. The only thing I can think of, and I am not trying to be mean, but there are a lot of people that just don't belong "behind the wheel." I go to Telluride every other year for the Bluegrass Festival. Doing the Black Bear Pass and eating at the Baked In Telluride was my tradition things I always did. There are a couple of other roads around there that are fun to do, but nothing compares to the grandeur of the Black Bear Pass. Some stuff is just unexplainable.

newracer
March 18th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Little known fact: get your fishing license, it has a back country insurance with it.
Should you need search and rescue operations it covers it!
At least in Colorado it does.

Same goes to OHV stickers

It is not insurance. That extra $0.25 fee goes to the search and rescue fund and it give the search and rescue people the ability to be refunded for expenses as they are all volunteers. Search and Rescue will never charge, they don't because the don't want people to be hesitant to call them. Other agencies may charge if you did something stupid regardless if you paid into the search and rescue fund or not.

96EXXLTinCO
March 18th, 2016, 12:39 PM
This trail has been on my list for years ever since I heard C.W. McCall sing about it. It's happening this year.

Jim
March 18th, 2016, 12:42 PM
It's happening this year.

It is a destination trail. Worth the trek. Plus, you'll add in so many other good trails too.

Make it so...

Chris
March 18th, 2016, 12:47 PM
I've done it numerous times and always enjoy it in its entirety, it's more than just the one-way section! If you search for it on YouTube there's a top video of an older couple that's fun to watch, we happened to be right behind them that day so it's fun to re-live it. The woman is a hoot!

Edit - here it is Bill & Effie

https://youtu.be/dr7Nkl0pkJk

96EXXLTinCO
March 18th, 2016, 01:23 PM
This trail has been on my list for years ever since I heard C.W. McCall sing about it. It's happening this year.

Jackie
March 18th, 2016, 11:52 PM
I've done it numerous times and always enjoy it in its entirety, it's more than just the one-way section! If you search for it on YouTube there's a top video of an older couple that's fun to watch, we happened to be right behind them that day so it's fun to re-live it. The woman is a hoot!

Edit - here it is Bill & Effie

https://youtu.be/dr7Nkl0pkJk

It gets funnier every time I watch it! I love Effie, but I love her husband and his whistling and the music selection better!

96EXXLTinCO
March 19th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Somehow that video gets mentioned or Effie gets impersonated everytime we're on any kind of shelf whatsoever, no matter what size it is. "My heart is in my pants" is probably our most quoted line.

dieseldoc
March 19th, 2016, 08:29 AM
It's a shame the folks down there want to close this.
I understand the strain on the county for recovery, but as I mentioned before the cost should be passed on to the offender!

Chris
March 19th, 2016, 09:19 AM
We offered Effie a ride when she got out at the switchbacks but she told us she was going to walk :lmao:

Tom
March 19th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Old news. The sheriff wants to close it. They county doesn't as it brings in too much revenue. From what I've read elsewhere the sheriff doesn't have the authority.

White Stripe
September 25th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I think it's foolish to close such a well developed trail. I was just talking to a guy on the trail yesterday about this actually. I think their is a simple solution to keep out inexperienced people, and those in their Subaru just looking to go in the woods to do drugs and leave trash everywhere. Especially on popular trails like this. Just install a gatekeeper at the beginning and the end of the trail so u gotta have not only a well equipped vehicle, but a good driver to make it through the gatekeeper. A simple rock garden, or a really steep Hill u gotta winch up made by a dozer would do it. All others would either get stuck and have to call for a 500 dollar tow truck recovery(which is about what it costs for a tow truck to venture onto a trail), or they would just turn around. A lot of trails would benefit from this. Plus the tow truck companies would love it. For a trail like black bear, it would probably be wise to have a gated bypass for the gatekeepers in case emergency workers, a club doing maintenance, or the forest service needed to get in quickly.

Jackie
September 25th, 2016, 07:07 PM
I agree just last week i was up in estes park running pole hill and a nice jeep was coming out. I stopped them and asked how the trail was and they said they turned around at the bottom of the first hill. Come to find out they were from out of state in a rented jeep (that would have had no problems handling this trail)

I respect their decision to turn around. Pole Hill was one of the first trails I ever ran in my NEW Jeep. I had my very young baby girl in a car seat next to me and my husband was ahead of us on his KTM dirt bike. I was very inexperienced and very afraid. Then my husband went over the handle bars of his dirt bike and broke his ankle. (I didn't see it happen). He tried his best to conceal that fact from me as he continued to stop and spot me up that hill. Finally, he was in such pain that he had to tell me what happened and he had to bail out. I managed a turn-around and headed out behind him.

It's NOT a difficult trail but it can be intimidating to newbies - and understandably so. That is not a trail I would suggest to a newbie in a rental Jeep. There is nothing wrong with choosing a much easier one for starters.

I have a friend that owns a 4x4 but never drove it off-road. He announced that he and his family needed to move to Michigan due to personal family reasons. I offered to take him off road and let him be the driver of my Jeep. Our fabulous FR4x4 friend, Rob, agreed to come with us and lead the run! My friend did great and learned a lot. He had the time of had life!