PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry in your rig?

Brody
April 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Someone suggested this before the crash and I thought that is was a good idea. It will give everyone a chance to get ideas from what others have and have found useful to carry. Just don't use it like " Well, I know Brody is bringing all of his junk along, so I don't have to bring____,____,____" Who knows, If I know this is going on, I might not share! HAHA

So, since I tend to bring a lot of junk, mainly because LaDawn and I end up doing a fair amount of wheeling by ourselves, I will start this:

Recovery:
Tow straps x2 or 3
Snatch block
Shackle hooks x2 or 3
Old climbing carabiners (they hold 3-5k and I usually use them doubled up)
150' old 1/2" climbing rope, doubled up (holds roughly 4-5k)
3/8" screw gate chain links x2 or 3
Tree saver strap
Hi-Lift jack
Plywood plate, 12x12
Axe
Shovel
Bush knife

First Aid Kit:
Essentially a toned down trauma kit, with the emphasis being on broken bones, cuts and major tissue damage. No snake bite kit, thank you so much...

Tools:
A lot, including a big pipe wrench, a hammer, a pry bar, and a big adjustable wrench.

Vehicle related:
Most hoses and/or a hose splice kit
Duct tape (preferrably black as it sticks better. Gorilla Tape is good, but not as flexible)
Silicon sealer of some sort
Electrical tape
Large (1/2"x 24") to small zip ties
Baling wire
Chunk of brake line with both ends
Chunk of high pressure fuel line
ARB repair kit
Fuses
Relays (grab some from under the hood of a vehicle like yours when you are at the junk yard. These cost a bundle and the yards damn near give them away)
Nuts and bolts. A random sampling will work, but concentrate on the stuff that vibrates most: shock bolts, for example. Also driveshaft bolts are key as are cone washers, especially if you drive a Yota. Again the junkyard. Look under any Yota that has a tranny yanked out and chances are that you will find a handful of $5 driveshaft bolts for free.
All of my pulley belts. Break any of these and you are sucking wind...
A random chunk of speaker wire for electrical repairs.
Electrical crimp connectors
Dielectric grease
A spare hub assembly
A spare fuel pump (any cheapo electrical pump can be made to work with some creativity)
Super Glue
Two part epoxy putty
Bar soap for gas tank leaks
JB Weld

Odds and Ends:
Fire extinguisher
Fast Orange hand cleaner
Baby wipes
Hand sanitizer (The alcohol based, fast drying kind. This stuff also works very well as a fire starter for damp or wet wood. It is essentially alcohol in a gelatin base, so it burns for quite awhile.)
Parachute cord
Cargo straps
Bungee cords

Fluids:
Water
Anti freeze
Gear oil
Motor oil
Brake fluid
Ammonia for camping, especially early in the season. Trickle ammonia around your camp and all the big animals (bears and cats) freak out and will stay far away as it smells like some really BA animal they don't want to mess with. We tend to camp and climb in some pretty remote places where there are real bear and cat issues and this has worked very well for 25 or more years. We have actually seen where cats have circled the camp, staying about 8-10' outside the ammonia barrier.
Bleach for camping. A 10% solution straightens out any bugs on dishes, etc. One drop will kill all the bugs in a gallon of water. A spray of 10-20% over anything that has or has had food in it will keep most bears away. Also works in lieu of ammonia, but not as well.

Emergency:
An AWOL bag filled with extra parkasx2, pile coats, space blanket, gloves, pile hats, sleeping bag liners x2, foam pads x2, tarp x2, small tent, extra socks, a lot of matches and lighters and fire starter, TP, power bar stuff, dry soup, dry chocolate, flashlights x 2, 32" steel police baton, a real nasty knife and sometimes a BFG. I also have a CB and usually carry a handheld. All battery powered stuff has extra batteries somewhere. There are usually 2 flashlights, both Mag Lites, one small and a big cop size one. I also carry a headlamp.

Hard trails:
Front and rear spare driveshafts
Spare u-joints
Spare tie rod
Spare rod ends
Spare front birfields

Like I said...a bunch of stuff. But if it breaks out in the middle of BFE, I ain't gonna have too hard of a time!

DETN8R
April 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
...Bar soap for gas tank leaks
Explain this please?

Anywho, I bring:
Spare Brake Lines(I've seen one person tear his and I dont want that to happen to me.)
Nuts and bolts, I keep them in a small tool box.
Wire Fittings and Crimpers.
Knife(s)
Misc Straps(Paracord,etc..)
2xTow Straps
2xShackles
Hi-Lift
CO2
Some Spare Air Hose
3/8" Air Ratchet, Impact
3/8 to 1/2" Converter bit(Saves space by only need one ratchet)
Flashlights/LED Lantern(when the guy that broke his brake line was down and it got dark I was the only one with a lantern)
Ratchet With bits
Torx Set(for some reason Jeep uses alot of these)
3x Crescent Wrenches(large to small)
Standard and Metric Allen Wrenches
Screw Drivers
First Aid Kit

Brody
April 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Fred

Regular bar soap when rubbed into a leak in the gas tank will seal the leak up long enough to get back to town. It turns the soap into a very weird compound, but does the job and very quickly, too.

Brody
April 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Works. I have used it on one of my rigs and again on a friends ride. It is an old Willie Worthy trick from days past...

SCRubicon
April 12th, 2008, 09:32 PM
2 tow straps
snatch block
axe
hand pick
leather gloves
shovel
knife
rope
ratchet strap
first aid kit
all the tools I think I'll need plus some extra
duct tape
silicon sealer
electrical tape
zip ties
fuses
random nuts bolts and screws
electrical doodad kit
super glue
baby wipes
water
lighter and matches
tp
2 flashlights
slim jims and other assorted food
extra clothes (and footwear)

I really like Brody's camp site ammonia treatment. I'll have to pick some up before the next camp-a-roonie :)

Patrolman
April 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
So just what I can think of off the top of my head...

Stuff that is in/on the truck all the time and for short trips:
Roofrack holds pullpal, pulaski, coal style shovel, and 60" highlight. 12,000 Milemarker is on the front. Inside I have CB radio, full set of sockets, combo wrenches, sledge hammer, screwdrivers, "impact" driver, channel locks, vise grips, adjustable wrenches, duct tape, ARB compressor with air chuck/hose, 20' towstrap, 3 shackles, Warn Recovery kit, maglite, mini LED light, rain ponchos, sunblock, First Aid Kit, blue RTV, about 10' of electrical wire, bailing wire, spare coil/igniter assembly, 20' of tow chain, ratchet straps, engine oil, gear oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, doggie bowl for water, spare hoses, spare belts, spare cap/rotor, spare plug wires, rubber gloves, Colorado topo book, extra lug nuts, jumper cables, receiver hitch, tire patch kit.

On extended trips:
Extra fuel, GPS, local maps, normal "camping" gear, tow bar, soldering iron, 14.4 cordless drill modified to run on truck, on-board welder/mask/gloves.

Sure I am missing things, but that is the general low-down.

DETN8R
April 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM
as of today I now carry a spare tie-rod and tie-rod ends

Pathrat
April 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Ok, I am going to have to see the nuts and bolts collections and get some advice on the essentials. And hoses too...otherwise, I seem to keep parts and pieces of what you guys carry. Just not all of it like some people who start threads. ;-) I do carry one of those hand cranked lantern/cell chargers. Mom knew what I wanted for Christmas last year.

From the looks of this, we should just all meet somewhere in Utah if the Yellowstone Caldera blows... we have enough gear to rebuild society!

DETN8R
April 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Ok, I am going to have to see the nuts and bolts collections and get some advice on the essentials. And hoses too...otherwise, I seem to keep parts and pieces of what you guys carry. Just not all of it like some people who start threads. ;-) I do carry one of those hand cranked lantern/cell chargers. Mom knew what I wanted for Christmas last year.

From the looks of this, we should just all meet somewhere in Utah if the Yellowstone Caldera blows... we have enough gear to rebuild society! Haha. Yeah. I wouldnt mind if zombies attacked either.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I sometimes carry some 4x4 books and a survival book or two. These 4x4 books I carry have some good recovery info in them.

DETN8R
April 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
One thing I dont carry but should is a Fluid Recovery kit(or something like that). I carry a funnel to help just in case.

Pathrat
April 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM
My original post before the crash included one thing I feel should be recommended or mentioned for everyone's first aid kit: hydrogen peroxide, for killing broad spectrum bugs.

Also, I keep Benadryl in there. If someone gets bit, stung or otherwise innoculated with something that makes you swell like a balloon, the Benadryl can be a stop-gap measure before your throat closes up due to anaphylactic shock while you are on the way to the ER.

and one more: ZIPLOCKS

Brody: scanning the locker room for carelessly left about suture kits. I don't have them in my department, we only take things apart, no putting back together.;) I know you don't want the Prolene kits, just black thread or the opaque yellow kind?

I will gather as many borrowed supplies as are left lying around and bring a grab bag for whoever isn't morally opposed to stocking with "borrowed" supplies.

Brody
April 18th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Thanks!

I don't care what color thread as I have been known to use dental floss in a pinch, so anything is good. Tissue glue would be a real plus, but, like you said, you don't have too much of a need for it. At least your patients never complain....When I started nursing, my first 3 patients were autistic, which made writing a report intertaining..

Thanks for the reminder about the Benadryl. I usually have some in the kit for that same reason, but haven't checked for awhile. Speaking of bug bites: wet smoking tobacco (cigarettes, cigars), or chewing tobacco put on a bug bite(wasp, bee, etc) as a poultice, will eliminate the sting. Ammonia will do the same thing on a cotton pad.

Ziplocks are also good and I have some in with my tool stuff and a few other places. I tend to use the alcohol based sanitizer for killing bugs simply because I usually have some with me. It lights you up a bit, but works. Hydrogen Peroxide is much more user friendly...If all else fails, someone probably has some drinking alcohol that will 'old west 'it, though this group doesn't seem to drink much at all...including me and LaDawn..

Funrover
March 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Sleeping bag
Full tool box
2 first aid kits
towstrap
extra food
fix a flat
TP
solar blankets
extra rain ponchos
Gloves/hats
duct tape
tie down/bungee cords
extra fluids (oil,coolant,etc)
Hammock (for when I just want to relax)
other stuff I am missing but that is the gist of it

4Runner3Wheeler
March 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Tow Rope
Winch on Front Bumper
Bungees/Ratchet Straps
Cargo Net
Power inverter (turns cig lighter into outlet)
CO2 Tank (I need to fix the regulator and mount it)
Winch Controls
Heavy Duty Shackle
Snatch Block
Tree Saver
Spare Tire
Shovel
Hi-Lift Jack 48" (soon to carry 60" too, especially on solo trips)

Some extra fluids; gear oil, engine oil
Starting fluid to regain a bead (W-40 works too)
Fuses
PB Blaster
Epoxy/JB Weld
Whole bag of tools: various wrenches, hammers, drivers, crow/pry bars, drifts, torque wrench, socket set, tire gauge
Duct and Electrical tape
Zip Ties
Zip Locks
Thick Black Trash Bags (many uses)
Work Gloves
TP

First Aid Kit with extra supplies, sun block, lip balm

Fire Starter, Lighters
Accessory Cord (I'd rather have parachute cord)
Knife(s)
.45 with box of ammo
Compass
At least two maps of the area
Water Purification Tablets (Iodine), Bleach also works to treat water
Bandanna (works great when filtering drinking water and for other first aid issues)
Sliding belt buckle on belt for many applications
Cooler
Head Lamp
MagLite (beater/spotter)
Chargers
Music
Fishing Rod(s)/Tackle/Flies
Hatchet
Crankable Weather Radio

Water, water, water (various containers)

Winter:
Tire Chains
0 degree sleeping bag
Extra socks, mittens/gloves, and outerwear
Stove and fuel
Coveralls

MISC:
Travel dog bowl(s)
Biodegradable poop sacks
Leash
Tennis Ball

Need:
HiLift Jack accessories like the wheel hooks and come along winch set up.
HiLift Jack mounts for easy carry on/off
Outer Spare tire carrier/bumper
Extra D-Shackles
Extra Heavy Duty Quick Links (like caribiners)
Extra Rear Driveshaft (soon to come once I have a new one built with heavier outer wall)
Extra Birf
Spare Hub
CB
Tire plug/patch repair kit
Hauling Chains

Chris
March 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have a fraction of that, I'll just make sure I wheel with Andy :D

No spare parts? I have extras like starter, alternator, belts, DS, PS pump, dizzy if I'm going farther than a day trip.