PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap! this is sad.

mattzj98
March 10th, 2015, 12:16 PM
http://m.clickorlando.com/news/mom-son-killed-in-off-road-crash-troopers-say/31682362

They are saying it took under 10 minutes to get the jeep unstuck.

Tragic, but a good warning.

The StRanger
March 10th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Very sad but, He gets out and they are in ????
Somethin dont sound right ...
If my truck gets stuck that deep the 1st thing I do is get the family out !!!!!

mattzj98
March 10th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Very sad but, He gets out and they are in ????
Somethin dont sound right ...
If my truck gets stuck that deep the 1st thing I do is get the family out !!!!!

They were only in mud up to the door. I know, the news makes it seem like there was mud up to the roof, but no. Just door. Less than 10 minutes before 2nd vehicles pulled him out

mattzj98
March 10th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Vehicle*

The StRanger
March 10th, 2015, 01:32 PM
10 minutes like that is bad Ju Ju..
But.... He left it running and Did not get them out ???????
Im thinkin it a Florida thing !!!!

mattzj98
March 10th, 2015, 01:45 PM
They think manifold had a crack in it like they all do, and the blower motor was going, pumping all the fumes into the cab

Jackie
March 10th, 2015, 02:08 PM
10 minutes like that is bad Ju Ju..
But.... He left it running and Did not get them out ???????
Im thinkin it a Florida thing !!!!

No doubt a "Florida Thing". I lived very near that area (within a mile or two) for 18 yrs. What the hell were they doing off the road? And a baby with a rear-facing car seat??? OMG. So much wrong with this story...

Adaa60
March 10th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Why were you off roading, in a jeep, in Florida, with the windows up? Correct me wrong but isent the whole idea of off roading to be in the woods windows down fresh air and nature!

Chris
March 10th, 2015, 03:38 PM
My thoughts too Rob, something about this story just strikes me wrong but then I realized when we were in FL last month that people there turn on the A/C at 75 degrees to escape the humidity.

The StRanger
March 10th, 2015, 04:49 PM
in the woods windows down fresh air and nature!

??? Florida ???
Think about it ...

Adaa60
March 10th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I was born and raised in Port St Lucie Florida until I was 15

Adaa60
March 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Way I see it, why are you outside if your afraid of bugs

Jackie
March 10th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Why were you off roading, in a jeep, in Florida, with the windows up? Correct me wrong but isnt the whole idea of off roading to be in the woods windows down fresh air and nature!

The bigger question is "why were you off-road at that intersection"? Stupid, stupid, stupid (not to mention illegal).

94ToyBear
March 10th, 2015, 05:22 PM
'Buckwild' star Shain Gandee found dead: http://youtu.be/CLcgIll3IFQ

Same thing happened to these guys on MTV

ILuvtheMountains
March 11th, 2015, 07:58 AM
No doubt a "Florida Thing". I lived very near that area (within a mile or two) for 18 yrs. What the hell were they doing off the road? And a baby with a rear-facing car seat??? OMG. So much wrong with this story...

I wheeled with my kids when they were still small enough to be in rear-facing seats. I didn't realize that that was a bad idea. Now I never did any hardcore trails when they were like that, but I still took the family out back then.

gm4x4lover
March 11th, 2015, 11:31 AM
We did too. As soon as they could hold their head up they have been wheeling and camping.

Jackie, while that may have been illegal to wheel in a spot like that in Colorado, Florida may be a different story. Lots of states have different rules regarding ohv travel. In the Midwest it's not uncommon to legally wheel on power line roads and access roads for farmers fields. That's one of the issues imo that leads to illegal off trail travel here in Colorado.

Jackie
March 11th, 2015, 12:39 PM
I think one of the primary reasons that a child still requires a rear-facing seat is because they are so tiny and weak and maybe they can hold their head up a little bit - but not yet strong enough to handle the constant sudden movements. (There are other reasons as well. Google it). To each his own on that. I wouldn't do it unless it was a well graded dirt road that lead to our camp site. (And I wouldn't require 4wd for that). To go into a mud pit that deep (legal or not) with a baby in the back was very irresponsible IMO.

The StRanger
March 11th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I think one of the primary reasons that a child still requires a rear-facing seat is because they are so tiny and weak and maybe they can hold their head up a little bit - but not yet strong enough to handle the constant sudden movements. (There are other reasons as well. Google it). To each his own on that. I wouldn't do it unless it was a well graded dirt road that lead to our camp site. (And I wouldn't require 4wd for that). To go into a mud pit that deep (legal or not) with a baby in the back was very irresponsible IMO.

X2, I think about a year to 18 months is about right

66sporttop
March 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Its one of my biggest concerns, I have three all under the age of 8. Its one of the reasons my little ones will not wheel with me until I have the full cage welded in and my steering up graded( the steering is old and the only thing I have not up graded since I have owned the scout..just over twenty years crap I'm getting old)

Chris
March 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM
crap I'm getting old

That gave me a laugh Brett!

The StRanger
March 11th, 2015, 02:31 PM
crap I'm getting old)

:lmao::lmao: My 2 oldest are 37 !!! :lmao::lmao:

gm4x4lover
March 11th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Who said anything about them not riding in a rearward facing car seat? My kids loved that and they got the best view. No top looking backwards with unobstructed view. While they maybe fragile in some ways they certainly aren't made of glass. Kids use to be popped out on dirt floors with very little sterilization, moved from one side of the country to the other at all ages by wagon train, horse back, or by? I know we have come a long way since then but it's a testament to how strong babies really are.

Chris
March 11th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Anyone else remember station wagons with the rear facing seat? That was where we fought to sit!

gm4x4lover
March 11th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Or while traveling just spread the blankets on the floor with the seats folded down?

Chris
March 11th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Of course!

Jackie
March 11th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Yes! Many of us could be one of those babies, I was one of them (or all all of them). But my dad never drove us into a mud pit. Granted, there may be even bigger risks on the open highway. But looking at the number of vehicles and idiots on the road now days compared to 'back then'...

Adaa60
March 12th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Back when I was growing up in Florida one of our most popular spots was a huge mud/lake area off a power line access road. The cops sometimes came out when things got out of hand but in Florida it was never illegal to be out there. If its deep enough to play in go get dirty.

Also with Jackie's comment about the car seat I agree and disagree. Here in Colorado I would NOT take my little girl out crawling until she was in a full seat. Also when aproching any obstical that even closely came to a point that my rig would even be a little tipsy I would remove all children from the rig before I attempted the obstical. However in Florida, we didn't have rocks or much at all that would have rolled a rig. I doubt I would have even considered my children being at any kind of risk while romping around in a mud pit. However knowing about being stuck in mud pits many many times in my lifetime I have seen some really bad things happen. Once I had decided to give up and look for assistance. All occupants would have been removed from my rig.

I've seen stuck trucks catch on fire, sink, and even have windows and body panels seriously damaged during removal of mud pits. My family would have been drinking water and eating sandwiches sitting on the sidelines before I made that shameful walk to ask for assistance.

The StRanger
March 12th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Once I had decided to give up and look for assistance. All occupants would have been removed from my rig.

One simple rule and this would not have happened !!

The StRanger
March 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Now on to a lighter note !!!!
I thought the rule in Florida was.
Hunny, You get out and push while I give it some gas !!!!