PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Cranage

Chris
February 17th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Well, the results are in after everything settled down and symptoms stabilized after Sunday's fun. On the trail a number of people heard the bad noises coming from my front diff, those stopped. I had no power to the front diff, now I do. I don't understand the symptoms changing but everything is fine as long as I lock my center diff, unlocked I have nothing.

Apparently I snapped the hub that holds AWD mode, in other words I blew my t-case. The good news is that I have one that I picked up last Spring when I punched a hole in my t-case not expecting my repair to last but it has.

I now need to swap my current actuator to the to be installed t-case then swap the t-case for the one that failed.

Could have been worse but I'll be disabled when it comes to the trails for a while until I get it done.

Jackie
February 17th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Good luck Chris. I hope it's an easy fix for you.

javaman34
February 17th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Well, better get it done. Anniversary run in a few weeks.

Jim
February 17th, 2015, 10:35 PM
So, having a spare at the ready somewhat balances out Friday the 13th?!

EDIT: If you open the case, post up pix of the bits.

Brucker
February 17th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Breakage always brings the suck. But at least you already have the spare. Sounds like a couple hours of labor and you will be back at it. Look at the bright side, it could have been a lot worse and a lot more expensive. Good luck with it!

Haku
February 18th, 2015, 03:24 AM
If it will help you...the car lift at my workshop is yours to use if you want it. Lifting a t-case down and installing a new one shouldn't be too hard. Let me know.

Brad
February 18th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Sorry to hear Chris. As always if I can help let me know!

Rick
February 18th, 2015, 08:10 AM
If it will help you...the car lift at my workshop is yours to use if you want it. Lifting a t-case down and installing a new one shouldn't be too hard. Let me know. Thats awesome Josh! glad to hear you found the issue Chris...

sunk
February 18th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Have you read much into the hub failing? pretty common or are you too hard on it? :)

JFjeld
February 18th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Were you the Toyota recovery from SevenMile that was all over the Facebook groups? Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I always bring tools/spare shafts, but its not too practical to carry an extra transfer case, lol.

Rick
February 18th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Yankee Hill Sunday night

Java
February 18th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Glad it's not worse! Hope the fix goes as easily as it seems... :lmao:

Chris
February 18th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks folks, it's never fun to break something but it's my turn. Yes, it's good that I have a spare but that's all that's good about it.

Josh, thanks for the offer I may take you up on it when the time comes.

I'll post pics of the broken stuff when the time comes.

As far as why it happened I know I'm hard on my truck when I need to be but probably more due to the 178,000 miles on it.

It'll be a while before I get to it since I have more pressing things to take care of first.

javaman34
February 18th, 2015, 09:30 PM
What does the mileage have to say about it. My Bronco has 256,000 miles on it.

Patrolman
February 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I guess it was a matter of time for that case. That wasn't any secret from your posting last year. I sure am impressed with how long it held up considering what it went through after being damaged. Too bad there isn't a readily available t-case upgrade for your 4Runner.

Chris
February 19th, 2015, 07:11 PM
I thought I'd have to replace it but my repair is still holding up. I didn't think the case would outlast the innards! The good news is that it's drivable as it sits but ...

Jim
February 19th, 2015, 07:21 PM
So, WE should get to a ?nearby? trail where you can skinny pedal the crap out of it and finish it off... I'll haul it out!

Chris
February 19th, 2015, 07:49 PM
It's a deal Jim, but first we need and old-fashioned 1/4 mile race for pink slips...

Patrolman
February 19th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Forgot to mention earlier that the title of your thread made me think maybe you had brain damage. The Cranium Carnage? :)

The StRanger
February 19th, 2015, 09:12 PM
It's a deal Jim, but first we need and old-fashioned 1/4 mile race for pink slips...

Ill bring the camera..

javaman34
February 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM
I'll take video.:lmao:

Chris
February 19th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Forgot to mention earlier that the title of your thread made me think maybe you had brain damage. The Cranium Carnage? :)

I wondered when someone would notice!

Most people get carnage. I get cranage :lmao:

Chris
March 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
:oops:

Time for me to learn a bit about the interconnections of this AWD/IFS/Traction control stuff before I make my own diagnosis! Turns out to be just a broken right front axle which makes sense to me now but didn't before. :bang:

I was sure it was the t-case but the shop just called and set me straight. The other good news is that my old patched t-case lives on much to so many people's surprise.

Nice to have a considerably cheaper repair! ;)

Adaa60
March 20th, 2015, 01:16 PM
sweet! glad your up and running buddy!

Chris
March 20th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Me too! Yep, this doesn't look right!

Jackie
March 20th, 2015, 10:18 PM
It looks like a couple of pieces of what should be metal (I presume) surrounded by a bunch of deli ham or bacon thrown in the mix. (???) Gross! :erm: