PDA

View Full Version : cedar mountain rd, metberry gulch, long water gulch, dec. 6th

dieseldoc
November 22nd, 2014, 10:33 AM
so i was thinking of going south for the next trip.
cedar mountain road and do some of the spurs.
metberry tell we hit the step parts. then walk them to see if they are do able.
long water tell we hit long water rock.
could do phantom creek at the end of the day.
finish cedar road and come out through the springs.
dinner stops can be discussed and are welcome

hackett gulch is there as well but I have not been down that yet so if someone would like to lead that lets try it.

Robert B
November 22nd, 2014, 12:13 PM
if the snow isnt overkill i grew up wheeling the gulches and could lead hackett if you want to do that one :) if the snow is deeper i would do adifferent trail but i would at the moment be down to join you :)

dieseldoc
November 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
The snow is why I am apprehensive to run Hackett....
I should be locked in the rear by themail time of this trip so i will have a bit more go in the snow!

MultiScuf
November 22nd, 2014, 10:05 PM
Due to having this saturday off I would love to join if it nothing too hard. I never done above 4 so ill keep that in mind and doing that in snow might not be the best idea.

dieseldoc
November 23rd, 2014, 10:02 AM
Due to having this saturday off I would love to join if it nothing too hard. I never done above 4 so ill keep that in mind and doing that in snow might not be the best idea.
These trails have some super steep and tight climbs. thus why I am locking the rear of my jeep. I have the D44 and the skills to weld it the right way!
The most of the trip you will be fine just as we hit the steep you may need to walk them and check out lower conditions.
So fix your u joints and check out the brakes so you have a safe ride and come join this it would be a good experience for you

MultiScuf
November 23rd, 2014, 10:06 AM
So fix your u joints and check out the brakes so you have a safe ride and come join this it would be a good experience for you
I replaced everything u joint wise this morning I figured out though that I am a little play in front right wheel bearing so I may replace. Also may go do some testing at C.O.R.E this coming weekend.

dieseldoc
November 23rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
I replaced everything u joint wise this morning I figured out though that I am a little play in front right wheel bearing so I may replace. Also may go do some testing at C.O.R.E this coming weekend.

Good to hear you are getting the truck togeter. Go do some testing and you will see what things you need to fix.

jtygartjr
November 23rd, 2014, 07:52 PM
Like to get on one of these runs to fill the itch i got before i lay off the trails till spring. recently bought 2 JKU's need to get out and see what they can do. Count me in on a Run I see a couple of you talked on another post for apex. I'll do what i can to make it to one or the other

dieseldoc
November 24th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Like to get on one of these runs to fill the itch i got before i lay off the trails till spring. recently bought 2 JKU's need to get out and see what they can do. Count me in on a Run I see a couple of you talked on another post for apex. I'll do what i can to make it to one or the other
you will enjoy these trails. The main/cedar Mt rd. Is just that a service road.
the gulch are fun and they may be snowy or there might still be dirt....so this could be a mixed bag.

Woodscaper
November 24th, 2014, 11:14 PM
I would like to join this run. I will need to change out my rear ring and pinion first. I should have time to get parts and swap them out in time.

dieseldoc
November 25th, 2014, 06:18 AM
I would like to join this run. I will need to change out my rear ring and pinion first. I should have time to get parts and swap them out in time.

Well get'r done. I'm loc king mine before this trip too...

eck55
November 25th, 2014, 02:12 PM
My dad and I took the warriors up 3 weeks ago. We went all the way in on hackett, longwater, and metberry and it was no big deal. but that was prior to the snow storms. from winter runs in previous years, the hills are always snow covered and very slick. and the already slick gravel covered rocks get even slicker.

dieseldoc
November 25th, 2014, 07:09 PM
My dad and I took the warriors up 3 weeks ago. We went all the way in on hackett, longwater, and metberry and it was no big deal. but that was prior to the snow storms. from winter runs in previous years, the hills are always snow covered and very slick. and the already slick gravel covered rocks get even slicker.

Thus the hesitation to go all the way down. Dry sure been down long water and met berry with no issues in my open diff jeep. I have not done Hackett yet.....

jtygartjr
November 29th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Whats the plan for next weekend? See a few trail titles on the menu but not one for sure or are they all tied together? Gona have a Full vehicle on this run and maybe my girlfriend as well with her JK.

Robert B
November 29th, 2014, 05:48 PM
longwater and hackett used to be connected with the best water crossing in the state until numbnuts set the forest on fire but now last i was up there for a truck they are all in and out trails so 3 in a day is doable but its a long day or i go at my speed which is fast because i grew up on those trails and its not so bad.......

Chris
December 2nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
Just so you guys know, RS is running that too: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=22102

dieseldoc
December 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Cedar mt. Rd. Is the main road that goes through the area.
mettberry is an off shoot as well as long water and Hackett.
Not sure we will run Hackett as its a bit tougher lockers and 33's

Will have to see what's up with the other group.....

Robert B
December 2nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
i can tell you that lockers are not needed on hackett taken many guys there no prob and 33s depends on the truck i guess took my cousins s10 blazer there with 31s open/open and almost no lift did fine so dont get too scared off and side note the RS guys list illinois gulch on their run which is a whole different part of the mountain lol its off hwy 67 on the east side so if they start there we may not even see them at all

Robert B
December 2nd, 2014, 05:09 PM
heck i helped pull a jeep up the gravely part at the bottom cause he blew his front axle ujoints and after that he made it out in 2 low just fine :P

eck55
December 2nd, 2014, 07:53 PM
i can tell you that lockers are not needed on hackett taken many guys there no prob and 33s depends on the truck

i agree i took my sidekick all the way in on hackett with 30s and open diffs

The Gobbler
December 2nd, 2014, 08:16 PM
Is this full-size friendly?

dieseldoc
December 2nd, 2014, 08:21 PM
Is this full-size friendly?

mmm not so much as yours sits. its to be in the upper 50's so its should be nice down there. these are friendly to your bikes.

we would be pleased to have you and June along for the ride.

dieseldoc
December 2nd, 2014, 08:28 PM
as there is another club headed down i will wait tell 9:30 and i will park out ack and let all the others leave out.....its a toyota club so we can start with longwater as it will put us on another road for the start of our day.

Robert B
December 2nd, 2014, 11:04 PM
i have taken full length trucks there before but they were higher than yours in the pic looks noah so im not sure actually ... would depend on the overhangs on front and rear not many boulders to go over if any really so mid should be fine except maybe on top of hackett rock depending on many factors but its up to you if you want to join...and its plenty wide lol ......id say leave at normal time and if its the same as the other club you could make plans if ya wanted for who goes to what trail first so we dont run into each other ya know
there are 3 gulch trails lol 4 if you include illinois gulch the road up to the gulches is super easy so yall can all go together there and make good time ...
cause the later ya start the later we will be up there and ya get back home :)

Robert B
December 2nd, 2014, 11:06 PM
on a side note from seeing JAB in the rsvp page yall can join for one or 2 gulches no prob and take off when ya want/need to not sure if all 3 will be done anyway will see how it goes up there

Robert B
December 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
oh and extra extra note i dont know where ya want to start so ill be at metberry trail head as its the first one you get to from the north end of stump road

dieseldoc
December 3rd, 2014, 06:24 AM
We will see you there. I am planning to be down a Deckers at the same time.
will leave as soon as we have our group ready....hope before the other group leaves...

Noah: the slab on metberry has a good approach but you may drag the back end. The slab on long water is tougher to get up on. So I have to say it would be your choice to try them. You are low so they could be some work to get back up. But we would be more than happy to have you along.

The Gobbler
December 3rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Noah: the slab on metberry has a good approach but you may drag the back end. The slab on long water is tougher to get up on. So I have to say it would be your choice to try them. You are low so they could be some work to get back up. But we would be more than happy to have you along.

I think we will bow out of this one. I seriously need to think about lifting my truck. June also wants to go to some parade in Evergreen anyway...oh joy! How does the saying go, "happy wife and she won't kill me in my sleep" something like that.

dieseldoc
December 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
I think we will bow out of this one. I seriously need to think about lifting my truck. June also wants to go to some parade in Evergreen anyway...oh joy! How does the saying go, "happy wife and she won't kill me in my sleep" something like that.

Lol....happy wife happy life.
Yankees some lift on your Chevy will get ya through these for sure.

MultiScuf
December 3rd, 2014, 01:49 PM
I seriously need to think about lifting my truck Or get a mid size jeep.

Robert B
December 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
nah i think Noah got it right doc lol and this would be a good set of trails for you Scuf these trails are good for ppl out their first time also

Woodscaper
December 3rd, 2014, 07:04 PM
Well, I got my rear diff rebuilt and ready to go. Now my wifes cousins decided to come for a visit from AZ. It's looking like I will need to try for a different weekend to get out to the trails. Have fun everyone!

dieseldoc
December 3rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear that...will meet you sometime.

Salsa91
December 3rd, 2014, 08:43 PM
so i was thinking of going south for the next trip.
cedar mountain road and do some of the spurs.
metberry tell we hit the step parts. then walk them to see if they are do able.
long water tell we hit long water rock.
could do phantom creek at the end of the day.
finish cedar road and come out through the springs.
dinner stops can be discussed and are welcome

hackett gulch is there as well but I have not been down that yet so if someone would like to lead that lets try it.

How far south is south? I'd like to try and take the xj out on a trial run to see what's it's got. I know colorado jeep people are heading up to Idaho springs area. I've never been up there so I'm not 100% sure how close that is either

MultiScuf
December 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Both ways are going to be a trip for you only being able to 40-50 inless you have fixed your death wobble and can go 55-60. Its all about when do you wanna wake up :P

dieseldoc
December 4th, 2014, 06:13 AM
The cedar mt. Rd. Is 9 miles south of deckers. So for you the trail head is abut 50 miles give or take.
the Idaho spring trip is about the same but I70 vs. Back roads and 2 lane hwy.