PDA

View Full Version : Drive shafts

SubAlpine
September 14th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Noticed I was having to grease my main shaft(giggity) way to often to keep it quite. So I took it apart. No stitches this time, and came off way easier. The grease inside the slip yolk was clumpy and nasty. Is there a suggested cleaning/servicing beyond the normal zerk greasing? Those things looked nasty. Eventually this whole thing will be rebuilt.

Patrolman
September 14th, 2014, 06:39 PM
If it is making that much noise, then I would suspect a U-joint starting to go. I assume they are still greasable on this model? I know they aren't intended to be replaced, but Bill's Englewood Driveshaft can replace them and service the rest of the shaft. As for cleaning the slip yolk, can you fill with it with degreaser or something? Let it sit and do its magic?

SubAlpine
September 14th, 2014, 09:52 PM
got them all cleaned up with some high pressure water. Just wanted to know if this is something that needs to be done, or if mine was from lack of maintenance from previous owners.

Patrolman
September 15th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Probably that and miles. If you take it into Bills he will tell you if it needs serviced. Just pull it out, walk in with it, and have him inspect it. He is an honest and straightforward guy.

Chris
September 15th, 2014, 06:51 PM
If you take it into Bills he will tell you if it needs serviced. Just pull it out, walk in with it, and have him inspect it. He is an honest and straightforward guy.

x2!

SubAlpine
September 16th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I have herd he does good work. Unless it is free, it is out of my price range.

Patrolman
September 16th, 2014, 06:48 PM
He will at least look at it and give his opinion, but yeah, he doesn't do free work for sure. He has fair prices and good work, but also keeps you from having a roadside/trail breakdown due to a driveshaft.