PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Lake, Mosquito pass, Eagle Rock and Saran Wrap, Bull Park

Tnsejed
June 27th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Took my father out and tried to head up Wheeler Lake yesterday. The trail was clear up 11,550 ft. We made it almost to the base of Bowling Ball hill and that's where the snow was. I would have to guess it was probably about 6 feet of snow covering the hill, maybe even more.
Still a very fun day out.

After that we decided to give Mosquito Pass a shot. It was clear all the way to the upper portion of the mill. We were able to hike a hundred yards or so to the train trestles and the Ingersoll Rand Steam Engine. Snow thickness was around 10 feet.

We also did Eagle Rock, Saran Wrap, and Bull Park on monday. All of these trails were clear the whole way. Bull Park did have a fair bit of mud right near the end of trail.

JFjeld
June 27th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Did you have to go the southern route from Divide to get to ER and SW, or is Old Stage Road from Colorado Springs open?

Tnsejed
June 27th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Old Stage is closed from the Springs. In fact I had multiple work trucks actually stop me to ask if it was open. There are signs all over the road stating mileage to the closure.
The signs state it is closed 16 miles from the end of Old Stage.

For me, I'm close to Victor and enter those trails from that side of Old Stage.

We went on a monday, so its generally going to be desolate. But even track wise it doesn't look like those trails have been used much this spring at all.
Same with Wheeler Lake. The upper section of Wheeler had zero tracks in the dirt where the water wasn't running down the trail. The lower sections all are very very wet. Alot of the trail is actually a river right now from runoff.

Brad
June 27th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Wife wants to run mosquito pass this year. I am guessing it will be sometime late august. That west side descent can be tricky with snow.