PDA

View Full Version : I Need Both axles

Adaa60
May 23rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
So, I got a new job, and finally got my first check..... nice check but lots of bills to catch up on. Now i need to repair my jeep. our saab is getting used for everything now and i really need a second car running. so i have my own transport to and from aurora. so heres where im at

jeep has Blown front and rear pinion gears & i have no jack stands and only hand tools + a SUPER limited budget. jeep has a dana 30 up front and a ford 8.8 in rear. Pull n pay wants $200 for my front axle and $180 for the rear including the parts i need.

Does ANYONE have any better ideas? im willing to do whatever I have to besides steal lol. its just that i work almost every day and i cant afford to pay 400 atm for two axles.

i was planning on just saving money to buy a crappy ZJ or XJ and take it home to swap my parts out with its parts then call metal movers and scrap what was left. anyone have a better idea? please or better yet, anyone have a spar set of mached axles they can hook a brother up with?

Patrolman
May 23rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Are the gears blown or is it just the pinion seals? If it is truly the pinion gear that is broken on the 8.8, then I would get that fixed. At least then you have 2wd until you can fix the front.

Worst part about a yard axle is that it may not be much better than what you already have. Plus, finding the gear ratios to match would be tough. Getting the 8.8 swapped in would be considerable work too if you are going to swap the entire axle.

The StRanger
May 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Unless you have a bent or cranked housing you dont need the axle !!
An 8.8 ring & pinion and/or bearing set is a lot cheaper !!

Adaa60
May 23rd, 2014, 01:07 PM
another 8.8 at the yard with 3:73 complete is $138. same with any rear axle. that price is for complete including brakes.

a new ring and pinion set is about $150-175 on the cheap end. + master install kit with new bearings and seals is another $100. & i have no idea how to install the new pinion gears.

a Cherokee rear axle swap would be simple as unhooking my brake lines, driveshaft, shocks and uBolts to my leafs and swap. then i could rebuild my 8.8 at a later time with the 4:88's i want.

I cant do just the rear tho. the front is so damaged that with no drive shaft connected to it when you simply roll it around it Pops so lout sounds like a sledge hammer hitting the floorboard every 1 or so feet

Adaa60
May 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Are the gears blown or is it just the pinion seals?

from what it feels like, both axles have the teeth on the ring and pinion feel completely destroyed

The StRanger
May 23rd, 2014, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=Patrolman;264075

Worst part about a yard axle is that it may not be much better than what you already have.[/QUOTE]

Thats what worry's me !

Adaa60
May 23rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
very true, but at a yard i can find a non abused truck with stock tires and have a go with it.

gm4x4lover
May 23rd, 2014, 01:39 PM
For the front, pull the axle shafts (Separate the outer and inner shaft and reinstall the outer) and the drive shaft. That will make the front rollable.

94ToyBear
May 23rd, 2014, 01:42 PM
If you do end up going with a new/used 8.8 why not look in to a 8 8 LSD 4.10 gears ?? Still alot of work like sam said.

94ToyBear
May 23rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
Dont forget core charges too.

Patrolman
May 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Yeah, core charges aren't typically included. I forgot that you probably don't have locking hubs, so your front pinion spins all the time. If you can swing it now, going with the 4.88 gear sets may save you a lot of time/money in the long run. It is the same install process and install kit for the 4.88 gears.

jsteves
May 23rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
I have an 8.8 with 3.73 and LS. Yours for $75. I will be coming to Broomfield from Ft. Collins this weekend, so let me know if you want me to haul that axle down with me. It is a drum version, but if yours has discs obviously you could swap them over. Needs a new diff cover as the yard punched a hole to drain it rather than taking off the cover.

Rick
May 23rd, 2014, 02:57 PM
I have an 8.8 with 3.73 and LS. Yours for $75. I will be coming to Broomfield from Ft. Collins this weekend, There ya go......sounds like a deal to me...

dscowell
May 23rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4438973417.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4471171279.html

i don't know how much of a help this will be but these are some pretty good deals if you do need to buy a new axle.

Justin let me know if Rob doesn't take the 8.8 from you

Hypoid
May 24th, 2014, 02:03 AM
I'll keep any eye on the yards for an XJ with deeper gears.

The prices you cite in the first post sound inflated. Typically, I can get a rear axle assembly (drum to drum) for $125 after core and tax. The front axle cost is about the same, if you remove the steering and brakes...You already have steering and brakes. :)

If it helps, I have an 8.25" axle from a Cherokee, 3.55 gears, 27 spline shafts, complete from drum to drum. I'll let it go cheap!!!!!!!

Adaa60
May 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM
i'll pass on the 8.8 for now but thank you jsteves.

Hypoid i'll take that 8.25 off your hands. i found a guy whos got a dana 30,3.55 im picking up on Tuesday for $40

i hope its got breaks and stuff still on it.

ill just rebuild my 30 & 8.8 for 4.88's over the summer that way i can learn and install my mini spool and toys at my own speed

jsteves
May 25th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Justin let me know if Rob doesn't take the 8.8 from you

looks like it's yours if you'd like it. Let me know!

dscowell
May 26th, 2014, 09:31 AM
looks like it's yours if you'd like it. Let me know!

Do you know if the brakes are in decent shape? I'll see if I can convince my dad and I'll get back to you.

jsteves
May 26th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Id have to check them out. I was planning on moving to discs when I picked it up but went with a 9" instead.