PDA

View Full Version : OCG carnage

scout man
April 29th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Josh and I went up to OCG last weekend. Had a good time. Somehow I managed to do this... I don't think I hit it on anything, I think it just blew up! Oh well, drove the rest of the way out in 2 wheel drive. No problems.

javaman34
April 29th, 2014, 08:18 PM
YIKES! That left a mark.

Patrolman
April 29th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Never seen that before! Is that a Warn?

scout man
April 29th, 2014, 08:30 PM
um, I don't remember if that was a warn or factory IH branded one that looks just like a warn (and probably is). I think I have one of each on the rig. This was a first for me too. Didn't hear it go, and I don't think it got hit by a rock. I just climbed out and noticed it was hanging there.

The StRanger
April 29th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Good thing a hub is like a fuse..
If it didnt go, What else would have snapped !!

Haku
April 29th, 2014, 11:47 PM
I actually zoomed in on the pictures I had just before we noticed you had no drive to the front axle, and there is no obvious signs of it hanging off or anything being wrong...

http://hld-illumination.com/haku/Pictures/scoutzoom.jpg

Either way, I suspect it was a long term fail rather then something sudden. Here is another pic....of me taking a picture of you taking a picture of your carnage :p ....

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/1656195_10201732705694798_4086698287729688678_n.jp g

I'm sort of surprised the housing of the hub broke, but then again us Toyota guys throw the Warn hubs in the trash most of the time since they don't have any way to lock them down like the stock ones do. Stock Aisin Toyota hubs have cone washers that keep them centered and the Warn ones don't, so they can wobble loose and break. Kind of wonder if something similar happened with yours. Either way, it happened at the right place really, as any earlier would probably have required winching or tow straps.

Good times.

Haku
April 29th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Good thing a hub is like a fuse..
If it didnt go, What else would have snapped !!

You say that, but while I only have a theory behind it, I'm pretty sure that when my lockout hub broke a couple years ago, it took out a bunch of other parts of the axle with it.

The Longfield Chromoly shafts I have installed in my Toyota are designed to have 120 degrees of twist before they break. This is great because the shafts hold up longer, but they also store a ton of Kinetic Energy when they do it. When I broke my axle, it took out both shafts, a lockout hub, and I had a chipped ring and pinion too. My theory is that since I was trying to get over an undercut ledge and was bound up, that the axles were pretty twisted up, and the lockout hub broke (the star broke and the section that contacts the axle shaft was cracked) and it acted like a trigger mechanism and the axle shafts snapped back with a ton of force and broke themselves and the ring and pinion.

So yes, they can act like a fuse, but they can also act like a trigger latch too. Just because of some of the stuff I've gone through with mine, I found some drive flanges to bolt up just in case I have a lockout hub gear break again.

ColoJeeper
April 30th, 2014, 08:26 AM
On that first posted picture, I notice that a couple of the bolts that hold the hub on are missing. Did you remove those, or did they walk out on you? I used to have that problem with my CJ7 and it would destroy the hub quite similarly to the picture you have. I ended up having to put in studs and loctite them in, and then use nuts and lock washers to keep the hubs on tight, and when I did that, didn't destroy another hub.

scout man
April 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM
One of the bolts broke off and is still inside the thread. The other I am not sure. Looks like it could have stripped out, or walked out, who knows. Never had an issue with them loosening up in the past though.

JFjeld
April 30th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I've wheeled a lot of trails out here, but what/where is OCG?

scout man
April 30th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Old Chinaman Gulch. Its near/in Buena Vista. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=1

JFjeld
April 30th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Aah, thanks. Last ran that over a year ago, though I hope to make a trip this weekend.