PDA

View Full Version : 1969 FJ55 Build

Chris
March 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Undeterred by what I saw when I first looked at this I had one condition to the seller: Give me a passing emissions test and I'll buy it. It was pretty sad, a typical amount of rust, seats torn beyond use with springs popping through, lots of baling wire holding things together and some pretty obvious hack work performed on it.

The good news was that it ran fine, had a Chevy 350, 4 speed, Atlas overdrive and, most impressive, it was an FJ55! I'd wanted a Pig for quite a while.

Pics are from the PO's add on Craiglist.

Funrover
March 31st, 2008, 10:21 AM
This will be a fun build to follow!

Chris
March 31st, 2008, 05:02 PM
When I first got this truck the steering was kind of bad which wasn't real surprising considering it's about 40 years old. I drove it gently until one day when I jacked it up to get a better grasp of what was needed. Passenger side, not too bad, needing a knuckle rebuild. Driver's side, scary sloppy! Decided it deseved an immediate closer look since I could flop the wheel back and forth far too easily.

Here's the knuckle housing I found :o

Chris
March 31st, 2008, 08:37 PM
After discovering the gauge I decided not to drive the 55 until fixed. I should add that this slop also explains its tendency to dart from one lane to another when the brakes were applied.

I turned the truck over to Justin and Jeff at Redline Motorsports for some work. They did quite a bit and had their share of issues with it. Here are the mods they did:

Built new seat mounts and tossed the ratty bench seat.
Replaced front and rear axles with what were supposed to be 60 axles, turned out to be 55 axles which was disappointing but I told them to forge ahead
They cut and turned the front axles increasing camber about 4 degrees to 5 degrees, rebuilt the knuckles, made sure the brakes worked, installed Rancho 5000's on new hooped mounts and made new spring perches and flipped the u-bolts.
Installed 60 series Power Steering.
Installed 60 series rear (long) springs front and rear after going through numerous broken spring packs.
Installed a different brake booster and numerous brake masters until getting a good one.
Fabricated and installed a full roll cage.

We also replaced a bad driver's door and badly mangled hood with replacements.

Cool stuff.

Chris
March 31st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Some pics from Redline:

Funrover
March 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

4Runninfun
March 31st, 2008, 09:33 PM
So whats next for the 55?

Chris
April 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
I replaced the clutch slave & master which I spent too much time on since the slave was apparently good. It's also hard to find some stuff for these old rigs and then modification is not uncommon but it's all good and working as it should, I even took the opportunity to fix some of the PO's half-@ssed setup.

Inspired by Jon's install of eDead I checked into it too. Nice price and what I was looking for and ordered both the sound deadening material and the liquid rubber. My firewall had an abundance of holes from previous stuff like A/C (wish it had been left!) and wiring etc. It was pretty drafty so I patched all the holes then painted on the rubber. After the rubber I installed the mats. Wow, the difference is dramatic, this will never be as quiet as my 62 but it's much improved.

Of course having a new exhaust system put on didn't hurt either :-[

The pic with the gray stuff is the rubber, the silver the dampening pads. I used 60 sq. ft. of it before running out.

Chris
April 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
I also found a Toyota AM/FM radio from an 82 pickup that fit the 55 radio slot perfectly which pleased me a lot. It looks like it belongs and has the bonus of FM which wasn't available in the 55's. I picked up a pawm shop surround sound system for $10 and used 4 of the speakers for the truck. Now I have music! ;D

Chris
April 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Next up is replacing the front pinion seal which leaks badly, picked one up today so that's moving to the top of my list. Also right there is installing a Holley T/A carb which I hope will avoid much of the known carb issues off-road. I got a great buy from Holley on eBay so i didn't spend an arm 7 leg to buy it. Once those two things are installed it will be time to give it a bit of a shakedown run and see what's next on the list.

There are a few good leaks on the motor but I hope a new oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets will take care of the bulk of it.

:cheers:

Chris
April 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I jumped ahead of the carb and pinion seal to find and fix a short in the wiring causing me to blow the fuse for the tail lights and dash lights. I'm removing the trailer wiring and PO installed manual switch for backup lights in hopes the short is there.

Funrover
April 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Coming along nicely!

Chris
April 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I have to fix the wiring short before doing the above. Thinking my additions (radio, heater blower switch, interior roll bar mounted lights) may have been the problem I removed them in hopes I created the short. Not the case so I'm still searching and will rewire those after fixing the short.

Chris
April 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm buying Man Jerk's diffs & ARB locker along with a few other parts from his FJ60 so it will be locked in the rear before too long.

Chris
April 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I just need to fix the final wiring, still don't have dash lights but everything else is wired and working.

Chris
April 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM
No more progress on the wiring but a big thanks to Mark (Man Jerk) for today's work and parts. :bow:

The 55 now has 4:88's and an ARB in the front. Probably put an Aussie/Lockright in the rear.

His 60 may be coming to the end but his parts will live on :wrench: :wrench: :wrench:

KnuckleHead
April 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Nice build. Looks like its coming along how you want it to. Good luck with the wiring. Thats not a fun task to handle.

Chris
April 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks, I'll go back to the wiring tomorrow. It's coming along well and I'm happy with it but need to step it up to have it ready for Moab in July.

(Did your stickers make it yet?)

KnuckleHead
April 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
They did, I got them friday. Again thank you. I just picked up the Ranger today ( sunday ). I posted pics in intro. Once i get it cleaned up I'll add the stickers.

Pathrat
April 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
wow. that is just incredible what you can do.

Chris
April 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM
What I can do is follow directions, Mark did the real work while I provided the helper position. I'm learning too and trying to revive knowledge and ability from the past. One nice thing about an old truck like this is the technology level is what I was once very competent working on. ;)

Man Jerk
April 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
I've done that job so many times on my own it was nice to have a 2nd set of hands.

Chris
April 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Patch Panels arrived from Australia, these will provide a huge improvement.

Patrolman
April 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Very nice! Gonna be a good looking ride with a little more work!

InsanityIsBorn
April 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
THis thing is still cruisin' along..;) no pun intended..!

74fj40
June 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Whats the status of this project chris?

I know you were in need of selling it, but hoping you wouldnt!!

Chris
June 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
It's my DD right now while waiting for the 62 to be wrapped up by Safari Ltd. in Grand Junction. I'm not doing anything to it because it will just make it harder to part with. I'd love to keep it but the H55F and closing on a new house on Friday means it's got to go. :(

InsanityIsBorn
July 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Have you sold this thing yet? . . .:(

Chris
July 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Nope, I put it into storage last weekend and will revisit it this winter or so to pull some parts and see what I want to do with it. ;)

5280Hawk
August 5th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Tell Barb im sorry you're having trouble selling it.

But im really not! ;)

Chris
August 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks but I think it is sold to a guy in Nevada. :(