PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to setup a locker?

ctracy5
February 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM
Hey guys I found that I can order a front locker directly from Lokka for $385 shipped so it is now a real possibility with how much overtime I am getting at work. So I am wondering how hard it is to set up lockers. I have a removable carrier so I can work on it out of the truck which should help. Just trying to see if this is something that I could do myself.

Patrolman
February 21st, 2014, 12:23 PM
Depending on the locker, it can be a considerable amount of work, and require some special tools. You would likely have to pay someone to do the setup. If it simply replaces the spiders, then you can do most if not all of the work. The hardest part of the job really is getting the 3rd member removed. Drain the oil, remove the brake calipers, pull the axle shafts, etc. Once the 3rd is out, it isn't a ton of work with the right tools.

The StRanger
February 21st, 2014, 12:30 PM
And your still IFS, Right ???

ctracy5
February 21st, 2014, 12:40 PM
yeah ifs up front, so I am trying to see how hard it is to remove the inner shafts to get the 3rd out. On Lokkas site they say that IFS should be doable in 3-5 hours lol maybe if I had a shop with a lift and all my air tools going. They describe them as an alternative set of planetary gears.

Here is a link to what they look like installed

https://www.independent4x.com/Isuzu-Diffs-456-with-Aussie-Locker-Used-pair-FR-_p_370.html

Here is lokka's site

http://lokka.com/site/howitworks

The StRanger
February 21st, 2014, 12:43 PM
Iv heard storys of GM aluminum IFS with lockers Cracking the housings under load !!
Just sayin..

Patrolman
February 21st, 2014, 12:45 PM
That is the same setup as a Lock Right. I forgot you had IFS. I guess it would be a matter of getting the 1/2 shafts removed from the center section, and then either removing the center section, or if it truly has a removable 3rd, taking it out. Again, that is probably the hardest part.

Just as a side note, I had a Lock Right in the front of my 4Runner. Took it to Moab once, and then removed it. When I had to make some hairpin turns on the rocks, it almost wouldn't let the steering wheel turn. It was a PITA. I run a selectable rear locker, and it is the best thing in the world. My front remains open for now. The only way I would personally run a locker up front is to have a selectable locker. I know your options are probably limited though for an Isuzu.

ctracy5
February 21st, 2014, 12:45 PM
From everything I hear these Isuzu axles are basically bulletproof never heard of people breaking them unless they were doing something they shouldn't have. These are really strong but lack of after market support.

The StRanger
February 21st, 2014, 12:52 PM
If they are cast steel you should be fine. If its Aluminum its risky.

The StRanger
February 21st, 2014, 12:55 PM
My Ranger has a cast center with Alum tubes
Theres no way I would lock it !!

ctracy5
February 21st, 2014, 02:01 PM
Well just found this, it is for the rear axle but other then getting the 3rd out should be the same process on the gears and such.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?uid=17646&f=17&t=67293&start=0

BLOODBANE
February 21st, 2014, 02:19 PM
Lock-Right or "lunchbox" lockers are really fairly easy to install. You dont have to pull the ring and pinion, which would require you to set them up again (backlash, pinion depth, etc). That can be a real PITA. With a lunchbox you just remove the center spiders, install the locker, install your center pins and reinstall your third. Some say to check your backlash and such, but if they never moved (ring and pinion), why would you need to. I have Lock-Rights in the front and rear of my Explorer and the front of my Ranger (looking at one for my Samurai as well).

The StRanger
February 21st, 2014, 02:28 PM
That how ya do it. Dont forget the locktite & make sure you gear pattern is right .
It only confusing the 1st time.

Patrolman
February 21st, 2014, 02:57 PM
Actually on my Toyota, the ring gear had to come off to allow the locker to pass through. There isn't enough room to pull everything with the ring gear in place. Since it wasn't a removable 3rd, it was a matter of making sure the spacers went back in the same way, and I then checked the backlash and wear when it was all done. Unsure if the Isuzu has enough room or not.

scout man
February 21st, 2014, 06:15 PM
have to pull the ring gear on most Dana axles too, but as long as you put it back exactly how it came off you are fine.

Popsgarage
February 21st, 2014, 06:17 PM
Lokka

A lunchbox?????? Just replacing the spider gears in the rear, correct. It's a piece of cake if that's the case. Front's a different story.

Popsgarage
February 21st, 2014, 06:20 PM
the ring gear had to come off to allow the locker to pass through

Mine did as well.

Popsgarage
February 21st, 2014, 06:23 PM
When I had to make some hairpin turns on the rocks, it almost wouldn't let the steering wheel turn

I'd agree with Jeff on this as well. Makes for some interesting 3, 4, 5, and 6 point turns on occasion.

ctracy5
February 21st, 2014, 07:29 PM
Well the rear is about $100 more but we will have to see how my next couple of checks are to see which way I go, and most ifs guys say the front locker helps out more. If I was solid then the rear for sure.

zukrider
February 21st, 2014, 08:06 PM
easy as pie! ive done those as well! not on an isuzu, but a pig is a pig. some are just a little more pink than others.

ctracy5
February 21st, 2014, 09:26 PM
Lol yeah, seems like the locker is easier then I thoght. Now it's just working it into my budget.

BLOODBANE
February 21st, 2014, 09:43 PM
The only time I had any problems with the Explorer or Ranger was when we installed the 4:56's and the 4:88's. I had to smooth one tooth out on the ring to get the center pin in. other than that everything went smooth, Never had to remove anything other than the spiders. The roll pin that came with the fronts was to small for my center pin, so I had to grind a bigger pin down a little and locktite it in.

ctracy5
February 21st, 2014, 10:42 PM
Sweet, well I think this is gonna happen, between working good hours and six months same as cash from paypal I should be able to make this happen.

ctracy5
February 22nd, 2014, 12:17 AM
Well, the itch finally won :oops:, now just to see how long it takes to get here. :thumb:

Java
February 22nd, 2014, 08:37 AM
I replaced the stock carrier in my front axle with a Truetrac, and replaced the rear tracloc first with an open carrier / Spartan Locker and then with a Truetrac. I switched the ring gears and bearing shims over each time, checked backlash and pattern and it never changed, still working great 2 years later. I think you'll have no problems, and IMO a rear locker is better than a front if you only have one. :thumb:

I had to idiot proof the bearing caps...

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/189925_1948984247731_7497765_n.jpg

redneck23ms
February 22nd, 2014, 05:16 PM
once you get the third member out its not that hard to swap in the locker. i have installed several in dana 30's and 8.8s. and i mark the bearing caps with a punch. one dot from the punch on the left cap above the center line and a punch mark on the housing right next to the one on the cap. and then 2 punch marks on the right cap etc.

Popsgarage
February 22nd, 2014, 08:02 PM
one dot from the punch on the left cap above the center line and a punch mark on the housing right next to the one on the cap. and then 2 punch marks on the right cap etc.

That's what the service manuals tell you to do almost to the letter. I go a bit further. Mark the left cap with an L and the right cap with an R done with a lot of little punchmarks.

ctracy5
February 22nd, 2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I will defiantly use them.

JFjeld
February 24th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Before I did my front axle replacement, I installed a lunchbox locker (Spartan) into my front Dana 30. While our axles differ, I found it incredibly easy, considering I'd never been inside the axle before. I had to pull my carrier and ring gear. I reassembled the exact same way, torqued down the ring gear appropriately, and made sure my bearing caps were put back on the proper side and proper orientation. The locker served me well. Now, if you were going with a selectable that replaces your carrier, that's a whole different issue.

The StRanger
February 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Its only confusing the 1st time