PDA

View Full Version : jeep pcm

Sinister68
February 8th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have a spare jeep cherokee pcm they would be willing to part with?

carpenle
February 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I am assuming it is for your 92? Is it the 4.0?

Sinister68
February 10th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Yea Its for the 92. The engine is out of a 89 mj

carpenle
February 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I do not think my extra one for my 90 will work for you. I looked at the part #'s and they are different. Does anybody know what years will work? Have you hit the JY's?

Popsgarage
February 10th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Just get the one for the body year since I changed intake and exhaust manifolds from your engine to the engine I installed. Only swap was the block.

Hypoid
February 10th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Just get the one for the body year since I changed intake and exhaust manifolds from your engine to the engine I installed. Only swap was the block.
Yup! The controls go by the model-year, not the block.

Sinister68
February 10th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Sweet thanks guys, I'm still trying to learn abut jeeps:).

Popsgarage
February 11th, 2014, 08:24 PM
No problem Sean! How does it run other then that???????????

Sinister68
February 11th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Other than that it was great then it cut out on me one day go in to work and wouldn't restart the I tried it on my way home and fired right up.

Popsgarage
February 12th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Good to hear. Hope you can figure out what's going on with the PCM.

Sinister68
February 13th, 2014, 10:31 AM
From what I've come up with its fairly common with zj's and what they say is happening matches mine perfectly so hopefully that will cure it

Sinister68
February 16th, 2014, 06:13 PM
So a little up date on the jeep I took the ecu/pcm off the jeep and cleaned the connecters and put it all back together and it fired right up no problems so I let it run for about 30mins or so and took it for lil spin and it was fine, unlike before it would struggle to start and run OK for about five mins then would die out whether I was driving or not and wouldn't start back up for 30 mins or longer sometimes, so do you guys think its good or should I get a new ecu or is that even the problem now, could use some advice guys.

Popsgarage
February 16th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Best bet is to purchase a replacement and either swap it or leave it in the garage. When you pluged it back in, did you use any dielectric grease on the plugs. If not you probably should. It might not be necessary because it's located under the dash, but it certainly couldn't hurt. And since it is located under the dash between the pedal and trans tunnel, maybe you bumped it with your foot and knocked it for a loop.

Sinister68
February 16th, 2014, 06:27 PM
The one I tinkered with and was under the hood on the drivers side by the air filter, that's where the site on Google said it was, it was a black box with one big connecter going to it. When I looked it up on eBay that was the same thing that came up

Popsgarage
February 16th, 2014, 06:32 PM
If it's under the hood, definately use a good glob of dielectric grease when you plug it back in. A pcm short will leave you stranded for sure.

Hypoid
February 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Drive it 'till it drops! If there is something wrong with the ECM(?), it will show up on a longer drive.

Popsgarage
February 17th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Drive it 'till it drops!

If the ECM fails, will it still go into limp home mode Mike?????????

Hypoid
February 18th, 2014, 04:31 AM
If the ECM fails, will it still go into limp home mode Mike?????????
More likely he's walking.

Sinister68
February 19th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Its time to hit the junk yard and pick up a spare and few other things for the jeep.