PDA

View Full Version : FAb work needed

ctracy5
January 26th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Hey guys I am trying to get some stuff for the trooper and before I ordered anything I thought I would see if anyone would want to make this stuff for me instead. I got four things I am interested in. I have examples from Independent 4x but it seems kinda high and with shipping would be pricey for something I am sure many of the members here could make. You can post or PM with pricing on any of this stuff and we can start to get things rolling. The big trips not til may so no major rush but the earlier the better.

Here is what I am looking for with the prices Indy is asking.

1. Spare Tire Mount Extension : https://www.independent4x.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier-Extension--6-Lug_p_410.html : I need to move my tire up to clear my bumper with the 35s

$100

2. Hi-lift Jack Mount: https://www.independent4x.com/Spare-Tire-Hi-Lift-Jack-Mount_p_221.html : This is my current idea but may be combined with Idea 3 if price is right to save weight on that tire mount and door

$80

3. Ladder / Jerry Can Holder : https://www.independent4x.com/Isuzu-Rear-Door-Ladder-86-91-Trooper_p_212.html : Like I said before I wouldn't mind moving the Hi-lift to the side of the ladder / can holder to move some of the weight off the spare tire mount, don't know how much weight it can hold.

$310

Popsgarage
January 26th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Holy crap! They sure want a bucket for some otherwise simple pieces.

Brucker
January 26th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Holy crap! They sure want a bucket for some otherwise simple pieces.

That's one way to look at it, I guess. They may seem high at a quick glance. But looking at those items, it would probably cost double what they are asking for me to reproduce them as one offs. Each item has multiple pieces needed fabricated, plus addition hardware, and of course powder coating. And that doesn't include any design/computer time yet.

Now that being said, they dio seem a tad high for manufactured, off the shelf items. But then you would need to take in account the potential market for the items and realize it is quite limited when compared to other vehicles such as Jeeps. So although these are "mass" produced items, there just won't be as many made keeping the prices a little higher.

Cr33p3r
January 27th, 2014, 03:01 AM
They may seem high at a quick glance. But looking at those items, it would probably cost double what they are asking for me to reproduce them as one offs.

Agreed, I was thinking a couple of them are a bit low for me to reproduce from scratch as one offs.

Monster Burb
January 27th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Yes I agree freaky those are good prices couldn't build them for that !

ctracy5
January 27th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys, I will see how much shipping is and see if I just order this ones or try something else. If I try to build some of this myself is there anybody who would have a welder I could borrow/rent?

I do have some welding experience, mostly exhaust with a wire feed mig.

Java
January 27th, 2014, 08:39 AM
First, to say that I can fabricate is like saying my Mom can cook... we both do it, but no one is standing in line. I make myself nervous, won't even attempt doing things for others, but I have tools you can use. so if you want to give it a shot yourself I have a 14" cutoff saw that can do angles, a sawzall, angle grinder, bench grinder, small drill press and a little HF welder that can atleast tack everything together.

ctracy5
January 27th, 2014, 08:50 AM
The only piece that makes me really nervous to do myself is the ladder, the other pieces are straight cuts and drilling holes nothing I haven't done in the past I just don't have the tools or the room for the tools. But getting the pieces of the ladder to line up properly could suck. I do have a easier idea from Planetisuzoo for a jerry can holder that I could add a hi-lift mount to so I need to research a few things and see about sourcing the metal.

zukrider
January 27th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Chris, im in. lets make it happen! ive got some ideas rolling in my head about a ladder that was previously for another vehicle, but could work here as well. ill work up some details and send them your way.

can you post a pic of the back of the truck without the spare tire on? and provide the measurements of: top of bumper to center of lowest wheel stud, the width of the lower portion of the left door, same for the right door.

we can go from there.

ctracy5
January 27th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Sounds good I will get those for ya soon.