PDA

View Full Version : Twin Cone Difficulty?

JGomez31
October 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
I am taking my mom and grandma into the mountains this weekend to check out the aspens. I was hoping to find a fun trail off of 285 that would provide some good viewing opportunities. I've run Argentine several times, but have never checked-out Twin Cone.

According to TrailDamage, this trail is rated at a 5-6 due to some obstacles, but it seems that these reports are a few years old. Has anyone run this trail this year that could comment on difficulty.

I am running a fairly stock Jeep Commander Limited, with a simple 2" spacer lift and a few skid plates. Just want to make sure I don't bite off more than I can chew :D

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and people are welcome to join us, but I don't know what time we'll be heading out yet.

ExplorerTom
October 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
I ran it back in June.

The lower part of the trail, in the trees, is probably accessible by a passenger car. At the second "adopt-a-trail" sign, near tree line, the trail starts to get tougher, but still doable. There are some pretty steep sections and some loose rocks in the trail, but it's not too difficult, IMO anyway. The trail splits briefly on a couple occassions and from what I remember, one side usually looked tougher than the other so look ahead and plan accordingly. After the last climb up to the top ridge that runs over to the weather station, the rocks get ridiculous. I would think this might be where you throw in the towel. Getting all the way to the weather station won't get you much more in terms on view and you could hike it if you wanted.

The lower part of the trail is covered in aspens.

I have never done the south part of Webster Pass, but that's right in the area as well. The last bit up to the top is super narrow- zero room to pass. The north part is easy and has a stream crossing.

Guanella Pass is also in the area- and is paved in all but a mile or 2 (and what's not paved is just a really pot holed dirt road). That's a neat area.

You could make a neat loop of Twin Cone, Webster Pass, Loveland Pass, Guanella Pass. Between Webster and Loveland is Keystone (ie. lunch) or Georgetown at the north end of Gaunella.

JGomez31
October 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
We go camping on Guanella regularly, so wanted a new perspective. I've run all of Webster before, but am not sure that my mom and grandma would appreciate the pucker factor, especially if we meet another rig or some four-wheelers on the switchbacks!

Weather pending, I think we'll give Twin Cone a try! Don't know how many other roads we'll catch since we probably won't leave Denver until about noon.

Thanks so much for the information.

06HokieTJ
October 2nd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Nice by-passes around the tough stuff. Saw some super-stock rigs up there when I ran it this summer. Have fun, be safe, use your head... but you should be fine

Rick
October 2nd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Nice by-passes around the tough stuff. Saw some super-stock rigs up there when I ran it this summer. Have fun, be safe, use your head... but you should be fine

x2!!! have fun

xaza
October 2nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
Twin Cone is stocker friendly if you take all the bypasses with the exception of the very top as was said earlier. It is still possible to run to the weather station I believe you just have to be more selective of lines due to steeper incline, loose rocks and a few that will get you a bit tippy. Here is our trail run report from last year.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?17947-Twin-Cone-11-3-12