PDA

View Full Version : Putting a C4 behind a 4.0

Cr33p3r
August 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I read that you can put a Ford C4 tranny behind the Ford 4ltr has anyone heard of this as I haven't been able to find anything as far as a swap about it.

Popsgarage
August 28th, 2013, 06:51 PM
I'll do some searching as well.

The StRanger
August 28th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I wouldnt think so. The 2.9 is the same as a 4.0, And I have to get an adapter to mount the 5.0 to the stock 2.9 Trans ..

Fordguy77
August 29th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Ive done a little digging around on it. And it seems there have been a few people who have done this conversion on The Ranger Station, As well as Serious Explorations, and Desertz Rangers. It looks like there are a few ways to go about it.

From what I found, the 2.8L, 2.9L and 4.0L all share the same bell housing pattern. Which helps out the idea of a C4 behind the 4.0L.

Also some sources state that you can only use a Case Fill C4 and not the Pan Fill.

Because of the small TC size on the 2.8/c5 they recommend staying with the lower stall speeds.

Also for engine management they recommend sticking with the Manual Computers over the autos to avoid issues.

The Options I have found are:

1. Find a C5 and rebuild it with C4 internals. You will need a 2.8 Flexplate, and Flywheel spacer, C5 Torque Converter, and the 4.0L Starter.

2. Find a C5 Bell housing and swap it on to the C4, and use the parts listed above.

Most of the stuff i found was on the OHV.

The SOHC uses a different flywheel pattern on the crank, and isn't compatible with the 2.8 2.9 and 4.0 Flywheels. So it looks like it would have to be a custom flywheel. However I did not search in depth on this, so perhaps there is still something that works.

Fordguy77
August 29th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Also just found out 98+ OHV 4.0 have the 8 bolt pattern as the SOHC So it looks like its harder to do in anything newer than a 98.

Cr33p3r
August 29th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys, I just had an after thought about this swap I would be losing my crawl effect of the 5 spd compared to the the low gear in a C4 which means it wouldn't really crawl like the 5spd. May look into other maunal trannys with even lower 1st gear ranges.