PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble getting into 4L

Gorden
June 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I was playing around with my jeep on my family ranch and got into a little trouble needed 4L but I couldn't get the gear to engage. All I could get it to do is grind. Any ideas?

xaza
June 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Most likely a bent shift linkage. From underneath truck try to shift into 4 low by hand. If it works there is too much play in linkage and just need to bend it so it engages before shifter bottoms out.

Jim
June 20th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Cliff's likely spot on.

The 4WD shift lever has an adjustment before it goes into the xfer case (at least on my 90 it does). There is one bolt that holds the shift parts together. If the bolt is loose or the two bars are out of adjustment you can have issues. Look for a bent linkage or loosen the bolt and adjust for proper operation (I don't have the steps at hand but it's fairly straight forward - perhaps a general iNet search or a YouTube search).

If you'd like me to look up my linkage adjustment I certainly could (I'd photo the page in the book).

Gorden
June 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Sounds great I will look at that.

Robert B
June 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM
when did it grind .....when trying to get into gear or when trying to start moving ??? but yes the easiest way id to unhook the linkage and manually put it in 4L and see if the linkage reaches and lines up with the shifter itself ...... if it was grinding when you tried to put it in gear (while stopped and tranny in neutral or park) then there are big problems ......... if it grinds after it should be in gear and once you try to move or apply power then it may just be inbetween gears and grinding.

Gorden
June 20th, 2013, 09:06 PM
It did not start to grind until I started to roll and and power. I will check the linkage! Thanks for the help

Robert B
June 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM
then yes it seems it just is not fully in gear :) have fun with it

zukrider
June 20th, 2013, 09:17 PM
um, try putting it in neutral first. make sure to push it forward all the way.

xaza
June 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM
awww yes good point. Sometimes if gears don't line up right it won't fully engage, if you let it roll slowly in neutral while trying to engage it might pop in. Good call Joe!

Jackie
June 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Are you on level ground when you try to go to 4lo? I know it's basic, but mine is very tempermental that way... If I don't have the Jeep positioned right...it won't cooperate and I have to put up a fight..:rolleyes:

Hypoid
June 20th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Are you on level ground when you try to go to 4lo? I know it's basic, but mine is very tempermental that way... If I don't have the Jeep positioned right...it won't cooperate and I have to put up a fight..:rolleyes:
Same with our "shift on the fly" Cherokee. If the Jeep is moving, and I take my foot off the gas, the T-case will suck right in to the gear I want.

glacierpaul
June 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM
Jeeps.....:rolleyes: every one of mine has done this at one time or another, just move it a little and walla. Hopefully that is all it is!!

Jim
June 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
I photo'd the page in the repair book (Haynes) that might help (Right-Click the link and Save the picture)

www.JimWilliamson.net/temp/XferCase-ShiftAdjustment.jpg (http://www.jimwilliamson.net/temp/XferCase-ShiftAdjustment.jpg)

I'll leave the file up for a couple weeks

Mr6dwg
June 21st, 2013, 11:18 AM
My two cents is to make sure you are rolling when you shift the transfer case.

alexb
June 21st, 2013, 11:35 AM
My two cents is to make sure you are rolling when you shift the transfer case.

This is definitely true for my 2005 LJ. I've driven a GMC Sierra and a Jimmy and I don't remember having to roll when putting either of those into 4 Low. My jeep's owner's manual definitely says I should be rolling though. Is this just a jeep thing?

scout man
June 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
I know its a different beast, but at times with my scout I find it easier just to shut the engine off and shift it into 4 low. For whatever reason it allows things to line up better, since there are no forces fighting it. And yes, rolling forward slightly while doing this can help significantly.

Jim
June 21st, 2013, 01:02 PM
Huh - I'm only stopped when shifting the xfer case on the 90 / never tried or had to be moving.

On my old 79 CJ, when pulling a boat out of the water I'd often use 4WD (front wheels on dry dock pavement) and in those cases (asphalt) I'd have to be moving and to steer left/right to un-bind the drivetrain enough to unlock the xfer case.

Different strokes...

alexb
June 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM
From the 2005 Wrangler manual:

NOTE: Do not attempt to make a shift while only the
front or rear wheels are spinning. The transfer case is not
equipped with a synchronizer and therefore the front and
rear driveshafts speeds must be equal for the shift to take
place. Shifting while only the front or rear wheels are
spinning can cause damage to the transfer case.

and

4H to 4L or 4L to 4H
With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift
an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the
clutch pedal on a manual transmission. While the vehicle
is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer
case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause in
transfer case N (Neutral).

NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles
equipped with an automatic transmission may require
shutting the engine OFF to avoid gear clash while
completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift the automatic
transmission to N (Neutral), hold foot on brake,
and turn the engine OFF. Make shift to desired mode.

NOTE: Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the
vehicle completely stopped, however, difficulty may occur
due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned.
Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment
and shift completion to occur. The preferred
method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5
km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with
the vehicle moving faster than 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).

Jeep apparently has their owner's manuals all online now: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/ Pretty cool.

Short version: Roll 2-3 mph and shift 4H to 4L. If you are stopped, it will work but may take several attempts.

glacierpaul
June 22nd, 2013, 06:23 AM
Huh - I'm only stopped when shifting the xfer case on the 90 / never tried or had to be moving.

On my old 79 CJ, when pulling a boat out of the water I'd often use 4WD (front wheels on dry dock pavement) and in those cases (asphalt) I'd have to be moving and to steer left/right to un-bind the drivetrain enough to unlock the xfer case.

Different strokes... Jim, you just haven't had it in just the right position then :), or I guess I could say you always have it in the right position when you go to engage 4L. My 90 YJ does it here and there but mostly goes into 4L without rolling too.

Gorden
June 25th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips. My dad and I went through it and extended the link.

glacierpaul
June 26th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Glad you got her whooped!