PDA

View Full Version : Steering box replacemant on Ford Bronco

javaman34
June 15th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Per request these are the steps I did to replace the steering gear box in my 86 Bronco.
1) Make sure there are no sledge hammers within easy reach.
2) Raise front of vehicle and support on jack stands
3) Remove the fluid lines and bolt connecting the steering column to the gear box.
4) Remove the Pitman Arm from It's shaft on bottom of gear box.
5) Remove the 3 bolts that hold the gear box to the frame. Mine were found in the left side fender well.
6) Remove the gear box and remove the splash guard.
7) Put splash guard on new box before installing.
8) Install new box by first inserting steering column shaft of box into the steering column making sure the flat side is aligned with the flat side of steering column.
9) Attempt to put in the 3 bolts that hold the gear box to the frame. (This is why you don't want a sledge hammer within easy reach).
10 ) Reconnect the Pitman Arm to the bottom shaft.
11) Reinstall the bolt that connects the steering column to the gear box.
12) Reconnect the fluid lines after coating the threads with penetrating oil. Use the oil or you will be looking for that sledge.
13) Fill with Power steering fluid.
14) Start vehicle and turn steering wheel from stop to stop to remove air from the system.

Good Luck. For an easier way to accomplish all of this, find a good shop.

(http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32445&stc=1&d=1371345187)

glacierpaul
June 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Nice Jarold, good job!

Fordguy77
June 15th, 2013, 08:09 PM
What were the hang ups that make you say take it to a shop? For the dollar id still recommend self repair.

javaman34
June 15th, 2013, 08:16 PM
It's heavy, difficult to align the steering shaft with the steering column, and I couldn't get the damn fluid lines reconnected, at least not until I came up the penetrating oil. I'm glad I did it myself, I just wanted to put a little humor into the post. It was a huge pain to get done.

CS79bronco
June 15th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Good write-up & pics dude. Precise & to the point. I bet it would be much easier with an extra pair of hands to help line everything up. Where did you get the replacement? Looks like new.

The StRanger
June 15th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Good job
Sweet !!

javaman34
June 16th, 2013, 07:57 AM
The replacement is new. Advance Auto Parts.

Hypoid
June 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM
How difficult was it to remove the pittman arm?

What style of puller did you use?

That is one task that proves to be difficult for some vehicles.

javaman34
June 16th, 2013, 09:33 AM
My father-in-law had a puller and it worked perfectly. Little difficult at first but then at the last second it popped off. Only took about 15 minutes to get the pitman arm off. Basically, it looked like a horseshoe with a bolt in the middle.

xaza
June 16th, 2013, 05:51 PM
that would be about as good a description of a pitman puller I have heard. :thumb: I like to remove gearbox first and soak pitman arm in penetrating oil and rust remover.

javaman34
June 16th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I never thought of soaking the pitman arm, but honestly that was one of the easiest things I was able to put back on.

xaza
June 16th, 2013, 06:31 PM
On hasn't been our problem, have broken 2 pullers getting them off though. Have found that tightening puller to put some good tension on it and giving it a few wacks with the hammer works pretty well.

javaman34
June 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Oh yes, I used a hammer a couple of times to keep from breaking the puller. Just by looking at the puller I could tell the stress it would be under and figured a hammer would be useful.