PDA

View Full Version : SuperFlow MV-50 air compressor

Jim
June 2nd, 2013, 11:38 PM
Late last season I purchased an SuperFlow MV-50 portable air compressor for airing up. The air gauge screws vibrated loose on the first use of the device so I decided to disassemble it, repairing the issue with upgrades.

Researching the model on the Internet I came across other sites that talked about modding the unit. The primary mod is opening the air intake. I did that plus upgraded the wiring and paid careful attention to piston-to-cylinder alignment upon reassembly.

Photos of the unit, with upgrade notes, are here:
www.JimWilliamson.net/misc/2012-11-10--tech--mv-50-disassembly/ (http://www.jimwilliamson.net/misc/2012-11-10--tech--mv-50-disassembly/index.html)

RidgeRunner
June 3rd, 2013, 06:09 AM
Thanks Jim, nice write up. I have the same compressor and I'll likely be doing the same mods soon.

carpenle
June 3rd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Is it a lot faster now? How does it compaire to the ARB airing up?

Jim
June 3rd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Is it a lot faster now? How does it compaire to the ARB airing up?

No idea if it's faster as I did not perform a "before" test. With other folks around (Max & Tom) that have the unit I could perform a comparo test.

It is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the ARB compressor. The ARB, IIRC, is about 15 minutes per tire whereas the MV-50 is in the 2-1/2 minute per tire range. (I use the stopwatch feature of the phone and don't stop-check-fill-stop-check).

carpenle
June 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
It is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the ARB compressor. The ARB, IIRC, is about 15 minutes per tire whereas the MV-50 is in the 2-1/2 minute per tire range. (I use the stopwatch feature of the phone and don't stop-check-fill-stop-check).

That is a good thing. I worked on my xj this weekend and taped in an air line off the AC compressor (air up tires and work arb's). I am surprised how quickly it worked. I aired down the 35 to 10PSI aired it up to 38PSI in about a min. I will have to take some pic and post it on the forum.

Max
June 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Just got this link in my email: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?8136-ARB-High-Output-On-Board-Air-Compressor-Under-the-Hood-JK-Installation-Write-Up

Which ARB air compressor do you have installed, Jim?

Jim
June 3rd, 2013, 03:37 PM
Which ARB air compressor do you have installed, Jim?

:lmao: OLD !!!

MelloYello
June 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Nice write up Jim. Thx.

Tom
June 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Mine should be here by the weekend. Planning on most of the same upgrades. I'll do a before and after test and report back.

Cr33p3r
June 5th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Nice write up Jim, some useful info in there that I wouldn't have thought of, thanks for sharing! My wiring for my on board compressor over heated and started melting the insolation and I have wanted to re-wire it and lose the case mounted switch and do an in cab one but will most likely just do a pressure switch. But in the mean time I bought a Smittybuilt compressor to get me by until I do all this.

alexb
June 7th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Mine should be here by the weekend. Planning on most of the same upgrades. I'll do a before and after test and report back.

I am looking forward to this as I have the same compressor. Thanks for doing before and after times.

Tom
June 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM
So my MV-50 arrived Thurs.

Tires. 285/70R17. 33.3 in dia. Aired down to 20 PSI
Engine idle. At Longmont.

My pre-test yesterday @83F 2 mins airing up resulted in 34 PSI.
Post test today @62F. 2 mins airing up resulted in 34 PSI

I did the upgrade described on toyota-4runner.org.
12 gauge wire, heavier relay, and a circuit breaker plus porting.
My piston and cylinder had pretty good alignment so I didn't do anything there.
Wires were noticeably cooler.

I may post test again when the temp is around 80.
Post test today @84F. 2 mins airing up resulted in 34 PSI No diff.

Jim
June 8th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Nice.

Engine off, on at idle, on at high idle?

It'd also be curious to see a test at higher elevation, say 8 or 9K vs. 5K "down home".

Tom
June 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Engine idle. At Longmont.

RidgeRunner
June 8th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I just ran a pre-test with mine (I have the Master Flow MF-1050 version).

35x12.50-15, started at 15 psi. After 3 min, 29 psi (which, conveniently, is what I run on the street.) Engine running at idle.

Will update with results once I port the intake and exhaust.

*Update*
Well, somewhat disappointing results. I ported and slightly enlarged the intake and exhaust valves, and cleaned and lubed the piston/cylinder. Ended up with the exact same results. Started at 15 psi, 3 minutes run time, 29 psi ending. I guess at least it still works and I didn't mess it up.

Funrover
June 8th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I love my pump. Back when they were at Costco. Great little pumps! Thanks for the write up!