PDA

View Full Version : Steer me in the right direction.

offroadwonder
May 22nd, 2013, 09:07 PM
I want to take my girl up for a day in the mountains next week. So I need trail recommendations. I want to stay as near to Denver a is reasonable (i.e. Ouray is off the list). I want an interesting enough road to give my new suspension a workout (I am thinking around a 4 or 5 by traildamage standards). But the key is that I want the highlight of the trip to be about a 5-ish mile hike. Spectacular views are my goal.

What suggestions do you all have?

The StRanger
May 22nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
Middle St Vrain, Bunce school road and a nice hike to T33a crash site...
Theres a weekend

Rob
May 22nd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Middle St Vrain, Bunce school road and a nice hike to T33a crash site...

MSV is still gated, as is the end of Bunce that gives access to T-33a.

offroadwonder
May 22nd, 2013, 10:04 PM
Damn, that kinda sounded perfect.

The StRanger
May 22nd, 2013, 10:06 PM
I thought it opens this weekend ???

Rob
May 22nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Sorry. Wish I suggestions ...

Rick
May 22nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
about a 5-ish mile hike.WHATTTTT! my goal has never been to 4 wheel then hike 5 miles......Just sayin

offroadwonder
May 22nd, 2013, 10:54 PM
WHATTTTT! my goal has never been to 4 wheel then hike 5 miles......Just sayin

Well I'm hoping the hike will kind of be the highlight. So wheeling can be short. But really, a 5 mile in/5 mile out hike is only about a half day depending on how rough it is.

Rick
May 22nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Well I'm hoping the hike will kind of be the highlightHanging Lake is great for a hike,Get some ice clamp on deels and its a blast,we went up 2 mos ago and had a great time

Rob
May 22nd, 2013, 11:24 PM
Hanging Lake is great for a hike

It's not five miles, though. It just feels like it. :lmao:

Rick
May 22nd, 2013, 11:25 PM
It just feels like it.AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glacierpaul
May 23rd, 2013, 03:51 AM
There are many options up by me of course, hell a lot of Clear Creek has this to offer. Once Yankee and surrounding stuff is open you could do lots of different trails then a hike. We wheel up to Chinn's/Sherwin Res., and hike up to Slater Lake and beyond. We did this last year and hiked 4 miles r.t.(we have an 8 and 5 year old) so we hike at the 5 year olds pace and go back when they start to get petered out. Loch Lomond, same thing, wheel up to the Loch and hike as long as you want. You could even do the traverse from Berthoud Pass over to St. Mary's Glacier and then go wheelin after the 1-2 day hike....just sayin! :) Me and my boy love to wheel up Yankee Hill and then rock scramble on the little peaks too. Kingston Peak, wheel up to the James Peak/Kingston pull out or the James Peak/Heart Lake overlook, and the skies the limit for hiking. :)

Java
May 23rd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Hessie Trailhead / 4th of July trail, probably not open until july 4th... but for future reference it's a fun combo. After you get to the Hessie trailhead you can see a road going off the side into the water- that's you! It goes about 2 miles into another parking area through a lot of water crossings, then you can hike to Lost Lake, which is gorgeous. There are farther lakes too, you can make it as long as you like. Along the way are some stunning waterfalls, it's a great hike. The only downside is that it's a very popular area, on the weekends they shuttle people in to alleviate parking. Go on a weekday!!

here's a shot of the trail covered in water and the 4x4 parking area where you used to be able to cross and continue, quite a bit of the trail is an old Jeep road that looks temptingly doable.

offroadwonder
May 23rd, 2013, 07:46 AM
So a lot of these suggestions sound great, but I am not sure if they're open yet. I am looking to go next week. So open now or after this weekend is necessary. Or maybe I could plan to hike a closed road rather than wheeling it.

offroadwonder
May 23rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
I just looked up hanging lake... Oh my God! I think it is a little far to drive for next week, but it is on my list for the summer. It looks gorgeous!

Java
May 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Hanging Lake is amazing, but it gets reeally busy on weekends. It's great in the winter. Have you done the Devil's Head Fire Tower off of Rampart Range Road? It's a great hike and the tower is very cool.

Rick
May 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Devil's Head Fire Towerforgot about that one, Thats a good hike

offroadwonder
May 23rd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Have you done the Devil's Head Fire Tower off of Rampart Range Road? It's a great hike and the tower is very cool.

I have not... time for some research

xaza
May 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Slaughterhouse gulch is a pretty easy trail, but it is close. The mud pits are now closed but you could hike to them.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=2

offroadwonder
May 25th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I think I have come up with a plan. We are going to head up toward Bill Moore Lake with the expectation of being stopped by snow. We will wheel as far as possible and then break out the snowshoes and make the hike up to the lake on foot. It is pretty up there, and I have never actually made it all the way to the lake.

xaza
May 25th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Nice, I am tired hearing your plan. Now is the time to go to the lake, once the snow melts the mosquitoes are horrible. Makes me think I am back in Nebraska.

glacierpaul
May 26th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Nice, I am tired hearing your plan. Now is the time to go to the lake, once the snow melts the mosquitoes are horrible. Makes me think I am back in Nebraska.

:lmao: Dude, the skeeters are already coming out :(