PDA

View Full Version : Trans: Nothing but first

llamabox
May 15th, 2013, 06:12 PM
So I'm back with another mechanical issue. Thanks to Mike and guys for helping me out last tie when I just got to town. We put a whole new rear end in. The only issue I've had is the speedo being a bit off. :thumb:

When we did my tranny was slipping a bit. We had hoped the different rear would help but no go. Well yesterday I drove to work and everything was fine. We I go to leave the trans only has first gear. Automatic chevy L430-E. If I downshift into first and drive then shift into second it will shift, but there is nothing there. It's like none of the other gears will engage. I was told it could be the speed sensor. I went to the pull and pay and grabbed 2 different ones. Neither match. With the kids and school and such I didn't get to it till this afternoon and now it's pouring rain. Going to walk up the and get trans fluid, if I can figure out how to get it in the damn thing from under the truck.

Rick
May 15th, 2013, 06:37 PM
get trans fluidHave you checked the fluid level?

Java
May 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM
fluid goes in through the dipstick tube.

xaza
May 15th, 2013, 07:01 PM
pick up a couple feet of hose to attach to end of bottle. Use a bottle with a lid that has a spout. You can squeeze the fluid out the bottle up to where it goes in. Don't squeeze too hard or the hose will squirt off and make a mess. Do you not have a dipstick going down to tranny?

llamabox
May 15th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I filled down the dipstick tube at one point. And the dip stick shows it is at the high/hot mark. When I pulled the plug (the only one I can get to without removing skid plates) there was less than 2qts in it. But the dipstick still shows high fluid level. I just assumed one was the transfer case and the other was the transmission. I have seen multiple web sites state the trans must be filled from below the vehicle and others state through the dipstick tube.

I am getting a ride to get my paycheck in the morning, then I will remove the skid plates, drop the pan and check the filter. If the dipstick shows full but nothing comes out of the drain plug????

Rick
May 15th, 2013, 07:11 PM
trans must be filled from below the vehicle and others state through the dipstick tube.transfer case

javaman34
May 15th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I've always filled the transmission through the dipstick tube. I put a funnel in the tube and start pouring until full. You may want to do a transmission service and get the tranny filter changed. Maybe it is clogged or something.

Rick
May 15th, 2013, 07:13 PM
And the dip stick shows it is at the high/hot mark.Are you idling the car while checking the fluid?

llamabox
May 15th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Yep. Actually I've checked and re-checked it multiple times today.

Rick
May 15th, 2013, 07:29 PM
do a transmission serviceX2!!

Patrolman
May 15th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Make sure the transmission filter gets changed if it has one. Not all vehicles do. Changing the fluid without changing the filter is sort of useless.

zukrider
May 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM
there are 2 knids of trans in these, they split by a certain year, which unfortunately is not in my head at the moment.

first:
the trans pan has 2 drain plugs, a bottom- lower one, then another that is about 2" higher up, but still in the pan. both open down. to drain just open the lowest one. to fill, plug the drain, open the fill hole, then squirt fluid in until it pours out and then plug it. run the trans through all gears, including reverse, then open and fill until pours again. dont check this while running, check with engine off and vehicle level.

second:
there is a dipstick tube. just drain the pan if has a drain, or pull the pan and reseal. then fill with 3 qts to start and check fluid level while engine idling. add fluid down the tube until full.

also, i remember an old bulletin for these that replaced the accumulator. this may be your issue. id take it to a good isuzu or honda shop. they must have some older, 10 yrs plus, techs to be worth it though, as all the newer guys have no experience with these.

Robert B
May 16th, 2013, 02:56 AM
first thing that's driving me nuts is I have not heard of ur tranny I have heard of the 4L30-e and not to be a downer but has anyone looked at the clutch packs ?????? they do go bad and if it was slipping before they may have gone completely bad now ........that is about all I know about autos as I own only manual tansmissions....... if not it could also be a pump issue as I know someone who had to try 3 different pumps on the same tranny to get it to work ...........heres this too .. http://etereman.com/blog/general-motors-automatic/common-problems-with-the-bmw-gm-4l30-e-transmission-and-how-to-fix-them/

llamabox
May 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM
You are correct. 4L30-e

So I left it with AC transmission to do a diagnostic and the verdict is internal hard component failure. $1300-2500 depending on who I called.
So looks like I might have to sell it for cheap and buy a beater to get to to work for now.

Rick
May 17th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Hell its already broke. Try to fix it, If you cant then sell it. If somethings already broken I try to fix it with the mentality that if I cant oh well it was broke anyway

llamabox
May 17th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Th issue there is we are a 1 car family, both my wife and I work and we don't have the cash or credit to get another. Having nothing on your credit really is bad for you apparently.

Rick
May 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18969-2-Cheap-good-MPG-commuters just a thought

Hypoid
May 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18969-2-Cheap-good-MPG-commuters just a thoughtThat's good thinking!

zukrider
May 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM
i am tossing around selling my montero, if interested, let me know.