PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals and brake lights stopped working.

Colin
March 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM
My turn signals and brake lights quit working, both fuses are still intact and I replaced the flasher unit on the steering column, which didn’t help:mad: so I returned it. I think that I may have burned up a wire but I have little experience dealing with car electrics and don’t know what the next step for trouble shooting this problem is...That being said what should be my next step????

Also does anyone know of a shop that can resolve this issue for reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

xaza
March 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM
If you have a test light it can simplify things. If not they are very cheap. Start by testing both sides of the fuse by attaching clip to a solid ground and touching tip to little prongs on fuse with brakes pressed. If it lights up then remove tail cover and bulb and test there. If no power, trace wire back looking for breaks. You can do this with sharp prong on test light, just have to poke it enough to get through casing every few feet until it lights up. Depending on access you may be able to trace from fuse panel back too....I'm assuming you already checked bulbs

Rob
March 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM
I'm assuming you already checked bulbs

If not, that's the place to start. Do your turn signal lights come on but not blink?

Tom
March 19th, 2013, 07:36 PM
If not, that's the place to start. Do your turn signal lights come on but not blink?
I agree check the bulbs. Dead bulb can stop other bulbs from flashing.

The StRanger
March 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Yes... If the fuse & flasher works, Start for the bulb and work foward
Make sure when youre pokin the wire with the probe put a little drop of sealent in the hole ...

Brad
March 19th, 2013, 10:32 PM
When are you available? I can come take a look. I have electrical expert certification and am great at tracking down issues. As I live in golden I am close. I don't recommend you drive without brake lights.

The StRanger
March 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Cool !!!! I hate elect work !!!!
I can do it I just hate it !!!

Rick
March 20th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Also does anyone know of a shop that can resolve this issue for reasonable price?Auto Motive ,Belleview and Simms ,talk to Mike(owner and friend) He wont screw you over plus 10% discount being a FR member

Rick
March 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM
I agree check the bulbs. Dead bulb can stop other bulbs from flashing.kinda like xmas lights!!!!

Hypoid
March 20th, 2013, 09:16 AM
When are you available? I can come take a look. I have electrical expert certification and am great at tracking down issues. As I live in golden I am close. I don't recommend you drive without brake lights.Another vote for Brad! He is local to you, does this for a living, and has resources.

I don't know the local shops because I do most of my own work.

Colin
March 20th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I just might need Brads help...

I am missing both side marker bulbs, but I have been missing one for three months with the signals and brake lights working now the second one just went out so I will start there but I have a feeling bulbs are not the issue, hopefully they are the issue...

Also my driving lights still work front and rear and the flasher unit doesn't sound like it is getting power...

Colin
March 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Also I have time Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoonsand the weekends, but I walk to school so I have no problems about needing todrive my rig.

glacierpaul
March 23rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
I used Lakewood Auto Electric, years ago, they were not cheap, but did correct many issues with my 80' J-20. Now that I know Brad I would gladly pay him what he wants to help me at this point!!:thumb:

Brad
March 23rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
If possible we could do next sat. I have off and we can bring it into my work.

Patrolman
March 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
On my Toyota, the hazards didn't work. If the hazard switch was turned to on, and of course you may not know it since they had failed, the turn signals would stop working. Everything else would still work fine though. Just something to consider. Otherwise, time to break out the meter.

Colin
April 2nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Figured it out, it was the multi point switch fuse under the hood...:bang:

xaza
April 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
nice glad you got it!