PDA

View Full Version : XJ upper control arm question

Coonburger
March 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
Was looking at the upper control arm bushings and they are looking a lil toast. i got thinking while i was staring at em. I beleive the uppers are still the stock control arms. Do i need longer uppers? Oh yeah its a 4.5 inch lift

RidgeRunner
March 2nd, 2013, 07:16 PM
Adjustable or fixed lowers? It's hard to get the correct caster with fixed lowers and stock uppers. Alot of people are running that set up. I had better luck with ride an handling after going with adjustable upper and lower control arms. Do you NEED to replace the arms? probably not. Can you get better performance if you replace them? Yes.

.....and the UCA bushings can be PITA to replace.

Coonburger
March 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
yeah i got adjustable lowers teraflex with the flex joint.

RidgeRunner
March 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
When I had my XJ at 4.5" lift and fixed lower/stock upper arms, I found that the fixed lowers were a little too long to get the caster set right. I got a smokin deal on a set of used adjustable uppers and lowers and fixed my problems. You should be fine with the stock uppers and just replacing the bad bushings. Aftermarket uppers are stronger but not entirely necessary. That's my .02

Popsgarage
March 2nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
I'd agree with Dave on this one. Replace the bushings and save your pennies for a long arm set-up.

xaza
March 2nd, 2013, 11:57 PM
I think I have a set of adjustable uppers I could let go of, will check them and the bushings see if they would work. I would definitely suggest getting adjustable control arms.