PDA

View Full Version : Smart Phone Advice?

Java
January 1st, 2013, 05:15 AM
I need tech advice. My new GoPro can be run on a smart phone... my phone, I found out, is not a smart phone. I thought it might be smart, or atleast clever, because it has a secret typewriter that sends telegrams. Hope that comment establishes my tech level. If not, my "GPS" works on magnetic north and I have a CB in my Jeep... So GoPro has a list of what you can use, I know nothing about th...em. these are the phones the app works with, any advice? Anywhere to find these used? Any models to avoid? I don't want a new phone, just a remote control.

For Apple iOS:
•iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 (iOS 4.3, 5 & 6)
•iPod Touch 4 (iOS 4.3, 5 & 6)
•iPad 1, 2 & 3 (iOS 4.3, 5 & 6)

For Android:
•HTC Thunderbolt (Android 2.2)
•Motorola Droid X2 (Android 2.3.3)
•Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Ice Cream Sandwich)
•Samsun Galaxy Tablet (Android 3.1)
•Google Nexus 7
•HTC One X

can't seem to turn the italics off...

glacierpaul
January 2nd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Paul, smart phones will have to be turned on and activated to use, as a phone. I do not think you can use a used phone as a remote without having the service. I have 2 Motorola Droids (me and the wife) she does'nt want the droid yet, so I thought I could at least use hers as a MP3, has to be activated first. Maybe someone with real tech exp. can comment :)

Java
January 2nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
thanks, Paul! On another site I found out that I can turn my wife's Kindle Fire HD into an Android tablet that can run the app. Theoretically, anyway, I'm not sure I'll bother, or that I could manage it myself if I did. The LCD backpack screen is $80.00, and I have the remote that came with it, so I'll go that route. The smart phone advantage is that you can see what the camera sees on the phone. If I was buying a camera and it wasn't a gift I might have gone with the JVC Adixxition over the gopro, it's cheaper and has a built in screen, comes with all the mounts, all that.

Jim
January 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
It seems you may be set, but ill toss some smartphone info out.

In general you can buy a used smartphone and use it w/o a cellular account. You'd just not have access to the items that would use cellular access.

A "sim card" style device ( sprint. Att. Etc.) might be more flexible over a non-sim card device (Verizon) because you could put in the card for your desired network (or none). Verizon devices "generally" are locked to the Verizon network.

If the device has WiFi capability, most do, most of the features and apps would work fine when connected to a WiFi network (home, office, wifi hot spot). You could buy an older model smartphone, used via eBay or Craigslist with intent to use it wifi only / no monthly cost cellular plan. A used device could be quite inexpensive, even as something to learn from.

Newb Tourist
February 1st, 2013, 10:37 PM
Android devices can USUALLY be hacked (rooted) and in my case, HTC Aria (VERY CHEAP used ones on Ebay) I simply installed a StraightTalk sim card and am now getting unlimited data / messaging / voice for $45.00 a month.

4Runninfun
February 1st, 2013, 10:53 PM
I have the GoPro app installed on my ipod touch, works great. I also have the lcd backpack, and I will tell you it really eats up the battery life. If you choose to go that route I'd get an additional battery pack.

Max
February 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
A compatible iPod would be the cheapest and simplest route I would imagine since it's not a phone ;)